CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jan 16, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #317 of 2,437
I traded in a CX and EX for a K50 (all silver) recently.
Please let us know how you are getting on with the combo.
When will it arrive ?

Sounds like it is yours I bought. It should arrive next week.
I already have a silver EX that I bought from Elite last year. We have just moved and I am making some big changes to the system. I am going to combine the headphone and main system in one cabinet, which will need to be custom made. So it will probably be a few months before I get the CX in the system.

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #318 of 2,437
Sounds like it is yours I bought. It should arrive next week.
I already have a silver EX that I bought from Elite last year. We have just moved and I am making some big changes to the system. I am going to combine the headphone and main system in one cabinet, which will need to be custom made. So it will probably be a few months before I get the CX in the system.
Congrats. I bet the combo will be brilliant.

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #319 of 2,437
I’m lurking

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #320 of 2,437
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #322 of 2,437
I am in the final stages of getting to grips with my loan demo K50 and I have to admit that the more I learn about how to use it and the more I listen to it the more impressed I am with how it sounds . . . .

The first two or even three weeks were rather like trying to drive a car for the first time and with most attempts resulting with no sound at all. However that was just me being used to a plug it in and start listening expectation. Now I can reliably swop between most of the player and server options and frustration has been replaced with joy.

More later when it comes to the decision making process of handing it back or not and then I hope to report on my thoughts.

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #323 of 2,437
cool

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #324 of 2,437
I have the CX EX combo and the K50, K30 on demo your comparison, is perhaps a little too harsh.

There is a very strong debate to be had on USB SQ between the K30 and K50 for the price if you were to compare SQ. The K50 has a lot more hardware that you do not get with the K30 or for that matter the CX EX combo.

For me, for the price, a fair comparison would be the K30 vs the CX EX combo both around 10k give or take retail cost. IMO the K30 wins not only on SQ but being one box you only need one mains cable and no ethernet cable a slam dunk to the K30 as the savings on cables make it in essence cheaper....BUT the Antipodes are supplied with a reference audiophile cable (so the ethernet cable may be discounted). One button to switch on a big plus for me.

K30 vs CX EX combo there is a definite improvement with the K30 with regard to SQ...but again if you have CX or EX and purchase a second hand CX or EX a debate could be had SQ vs price.

Short Story IMO

CX or EX owners try to purchase a second CX or EX to make the combo and what ever you do use the Antipodes ethernet cable and burn it in IMHO.

IF you have a CX EX combo trade in get either the K30 or K50.

The K30 and K50 are very close on USB output and if you only use USB output get the K30 for the price at 5k cheaper looks to be better value...but as I said the earlier the K50 has a lot more kit onboard and you may kick yourself for not paying that extra if you ever upgrade hardware.

K50 on S/PDIF is my preference.

In would say as you go up the range there is an equal gain for price unless you compare the USB between the K30 and K50 which I found quite close.

I also found one SSD to be better than two SSDs (SQ) in particular when I compared the K50 (two SSDs) vs K30 (one SSD) very close or identical others may differ ?

PS I have two SSDs up for sale 4TB Evo for sale if anyone's interested PM me ?
Hi,

That's all well and good stating that CX/EX owners should trade in for a K30 but you are forgetting that there are to be internal upgrades coming to the CX and EX taken from the new tech.

I'm guessing that these would then surpass the K30 in terms of SQ to be nearer the K50. That's my thoughts anyway 😁

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #325 of 2,437
Hi,

That's all well and good stating that CX/EX owners should trade in for a K30 but you are forgetting that there are to be internal upgrades coming to the CX and EX taken from the new tech.

I'm guessing that these would then surpass the K30 in terms of SQ to be nearer the K50. That's my thoughts anyway 😁

A very good point indeed.

I did enquire about upgrading, the release date, cost and SQ were uncertain and as the price of the combo were holding fair when I part exchanged the extra cost to me was worth the punt to upgrade, I went the extra mile and ordered the K50.

So now the combo is approx 5 K second hand on eBay plus cost of upgrade ? Plus one extra mains cable and ethernet cable (if the Antipodes reference cable is missing).

Upgraded CX EX combo vs K30 SQ ? I suspect it will be close...very close. Guess we have to wait on that but I was fed up with the two box start-up and shut-down.

Can I say 7k vs 10k if so gap in cost is reasonable IMHO (new vs old, two boxes vs one, the SQ ? extra warranty). Sure 3 K is a lot of money.

Edit found this link
Terry Talks: the Antipodes K50 Music Server overview… - YouTube

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #326 of 2,437
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #327 of 2,437
I leave mine on all the time - is that bad?
I read it can take a few hours for the power supply in the EX to warm up (stabilize). I don’t see a problem with shutting down the software though but I always leave it switched on. Personally coming from the automation industry I have seen more problems with turning off/on then leaving electronics energized. We always had a ups on every system.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #328 of 2,437
I leave mine on all the time - is that bad?

also - these internal upgrades for the CX/EX - does anyone know how they'll be done - remote / dealer / post to NZ?

Can't see it being remote as it's a hardware upgrade ( so I believe) ...and then I guess it then depends on the complexity.

I had to have the light in my EX changed as it was as so much brighter than my CX. This was done by a dealer that lives about an hour away from me...which is much better than sending it all the way back to NZ . However changing a light is probably a touch easier than the what the upgrades will be lol

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #329 of 2,437
One of the lights on mine is much brighter too - good to know!

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #330 of 2,437
The dim light issue was on the early models.
CEO Mark was aware of this and made changes to the later models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back