CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Mar 7, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #2,357 of 2,400
oladra and k50 popped up 10 g cad since their launch. well my upgrade path just got a little more daunting

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #2,358 of 2,400
new update by the by a newer amsv5

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #2,360 of 2,400
weird I completed update, rebooted, seems new but shows update needed? did it again for player and server, seems done but, i can still update. oh well throw mark a question on the forum, sounds good tho

ooops out of the loop, the updates disabled so hitting the update does nothing. Wait for it per mark

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #2,361 of 2,400
Latest compile of roon sounds better. Not best but better.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #2,362 of 2,400
I traded in my K50 for the Oladra. K50 is boxed and the Oladra will be on way to me.

Meanwhile I am using the bluesound node server section to playback designs mps-x (player) to mpd8 dac, and it gives me the impression that the player is more important than the server section.

I know it is beaten to death that the server section is arguably more important than the player section, but going off this little experiment of using bluesound node by itself versus throwing in the additional mps-x player yields huge.

Instead of opting for an amp upgrade, I opted to upgrade the least sexy piece of gear of the chain...

I find it very interesting that some people find the server/player being super significant where as some people feel that the DAC can do all to most of the "heavy lifting"...

When receiving the Oladra, it will be very fun for me to use the Oladra as a stand alone into the MPD8, versus Oladra + MPS-X into MPD8.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #2,363 of 2,400
Could be wrong but I’d put server, amp 40/40 . The dac 20. Don’t know but I suspect a great server great amp make the dac sing

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #2,364 of 2,400
The difference between NUC and k50 was not small by any means IMO and took me by surprise tbh. Didn't feel there was one stand out part of SQ that shouted out to me but the overall presentation / all aspects of SQ jumped up notabley. This is only relevant to server side as I'm currently running DS out whilst waiting for the Jorma to arrive so quite a good like for like comparision when the player hasn't changed.

Home from work in a week+ so I'm super curious to see what switching to K50 player yeilds. If that's another notable jump in SQ then it'll be on its merry way back to HQ for G4 upgrade.

As you say Frank, least sexy part of the chain but now a firm believer in the difference it can make. Tbh, not sure why I doubted it as I ran a mac mini with modded OS & audirvana a long time ago so should've been aware what a proper server can do!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #2,365 of 2,400
I traded in my K50 for the Oladra. K50 is boxed and the Oladra will be on way to me.

Meanwhile I am using the bluesound node server section to playback designs mps-x (player) to mpd8 dac, and it gives me the impression that the player is more important than the server section.

I know it is beaten to death that the server section is arguably more important than the player section, but going off this little experiment of using bluesound node by itself versus throwing in the additional mps-x player yields huge.

Instead of opting for an amp upgrade, I opted to upgrade the least sexy piece of gear of the chain...

I find it very interesting that some people find the server/player being super significant where as some people feel that the DAC can do all to most of the "heavy lifting"...

When receiving the Oladra, it will be very fun for me to use the Oladra as a stand alone into the MPD8, versus Oladra + MPS-X into MPD8.
Have fun with the Oladra. I found the Oladra 2 pretty fine straight out of the box with very little burn in required. Also as I’m sure I have said before, I think it really shines using Squeeze + Squeeze and also the bnc output even though the usb is upgraded. Finally, as with just about everything it sounds best to me using a really good switch such as the PhoenixNET (do not be tempted by fibre network if you are looking for the best sound).

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #2,366 of 2,400
Have fun with the Oladra. I found the Oladra 2 pretty fine straight out of the box with very little burn in required. Also as I’m sure I have said before, I think it really shines using Squeeze + Squeeze and also the bnc output even though the usb is upgraded. Finally, as with just about everything it sounds best to me using a really good switch such as the PhoenixNET (do not be tempted by fibre network if you are looking for the best sound).
That is interesting that you mentioned to not use fiber. I plan to go ethernet into Oladra for sure. I currently am using the switch from network acoustics, I used to have the p-net, wonderful under rated device.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #2,367 of 2,400
That is interesting that you mentioned to not use fiber. I plan to go ethernet into Oladra for sure. I currently am using the switch from network acoustics, I used to have the p-net, wonderful under rated device.
All fiber that I have tried, from cheap to expensive audiophile versions, made the sound more brittle and introduced noise artefacts into the music. My working theory would be that the final fiber to RJ45 conversion circuits introduce more noise than the fiber blocks.

I have not tried the NA switch but I do have their Muon Pro

As I said, I use the P-NET which has easily seen off all others so far in my system.

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #2,368 of 2,400
Have you received your Oladra yet @F208Frank ?

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #2,369 of 2,400
Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #2,370 of 2,400
Giddy, excited, nervous, wide eyed, broke.

Attachments

• 17112453036124549642682988812863.jpg
    17112453036124549642682988812863.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back