CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Feb 13, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #2,326 of 2,437
It’s clear to me that the AMS 5 update improved sound quality. It appears to me that some grunge was present previously that’s now gone. This has made both great and poor recordings are easier to listen to and enjoy.

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #2,327 of 2,437
Guys, for someone new to all things Antipodes, what's the best entry route when moving away from NUC? I'll be using ethernet / no USB, Roon preferred, small library (<2TB). From an hour reading on the net, CX standalone is the go to for direct ethernet to DAC or is EX laso capable of this? Any steer would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #2,328 of 2,437
Guys, for someone new to all things Antipodes, what's the best entry route when moving away from NUC? I'll be using ethernet / no USB, Roon preferred, small library (<2TB). From an hour reading on the net, CX standalone is the go to for direct ethernet to DAC or is EX laso capable of this? Any steer would be greatly appreciated.
Both cx and ex can direct stream to your dac. Although your library is not large, I would suggest the cx as it can handle large libraries and also has the upgraded computer with the instruction set needed if you wanted to experiment with hqplayer. I used the ex as a roon server and player but often had slow downs when searching on roon. It makes a top grade player though if you need the usb.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #2,329 of 2,437
Both cx and ex can direct stream to your dac. Although your library is not large, I would suggest the cx as it can handle large libraries and also has the upgraded computer with the instruction set needed if you wanted to experiment with hqplayer. I used the ex as a roon server and player but often had slow downs when searching on roon. It makes a top grade player though if you need the usb.
Excellent advice.

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #2,330 of 2,437
Big difference between single unit and CX/EX combo? Always up for trying something new but I've always been a bit sceptical of server hardware making a difference to SQ over ethernet. Guess it does otherwise you guys wouldn't be here or Antipodes!

Regarding HQ player, I did have a look into it last year as I've got a quite a beefy PC for doing heavy lifting for up scaling but using Bricasti, they recommend leaving input native and letting the DAC do it's thing so Roon only will be fine for me. I know there is a train of thought upscaling to 128 though...?

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #2,331 of 2,437
Always up for trying something new but I've always been a bit sceptical of server hardware making a difference to SQ over ethernet. Guess it does otherwise you guys wouldn't be here or Antipodes!
See what this reviewer said about the K41 used as a server in this review. This will give you an idea of what you'll hear from a CX used the same way, though the K41 will of course deliver a lot more.

The power supply contributes much to the sound quality of these devices. Keep an eye out for a CX that has received the Oladra upgrade.

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #2,332 of 2,437
Yeah, what's the Oladra upgrade? Power supply upgrade? Think a read something on this last night but iirc wasn't a cheap upgrade for CX/EX? Good to know there's an upgrade path available for CX/EX though before hitting K series.

Ah, that's the review I read last night but by the time he'd got to option 6 for setup (ethernet / usb / regens etc) i'd kind of fried my brain... :joy:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #2,333 of 2,437
Have the S30 and S60 power supply and rather happy with it. Now there’s the opportunity to add an EX to the mix and I am wondering whether that’s a good idea or not?
EX as renderer/player and S30 as server…or the other way round?
Any thoughts?

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #2,334 of 2,437
Now there’s the opportunity to add an EX to the mix and I am wondering whether that’s a good idea or not?
I have only seen positive things mentioned when an additional device is added that can allow the Player app to run on a separate device from the Server apps. The only question is whether you should wait for a more powerful Antipodes device to emerge, such as an S40 or a CX. I believe that will depend on the size of your library. If the S30 seems to be okay hosting your library presently, you should be okay for the time being.

Feb 24, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #2,335 of 2,437
'Ii
On the Antipodes owners forum I have been reporting my thoughts on the Server and Player app combinations available through the recently released AMS 5.0 and I copy my musings here as I am pretty blown away with what I have been hearing.

I set aside an hour and methodically worked my way through all the Server and Player app combinations including purchasing a HQP 5 upgrade license. For this I listened to a track called Toccata and Fugue in D Minor from the Jacques Loussier Trio album (see picture below) and after this session I was left in no doubt that all the other combinations of Server and Player apps are some way behind Squeeze + Squeeze in terms of sound quality.

The piano at the start of the track is a fantastic test. It is easy to forget that piano is a percussion instrument and when heard live it can have quite an attack to the notes. Squeeze + Squeeze makes the track sound like a real piano. None of the other app combinations do that.

Then there is the double bass. With Squeeze + Squeeze there is so much detail and shape to the notes. Unfortunately with the other apps the double bass notes can easily become just a shapeless thump.

With AMS 5.0 it is very easy to switch between Server and Player app combinations and I strongly suggest that it is worth setting aside and hour to do that. The first two or three minutes of the track played with each combination should be enough to make up ones mind.

Roon is obviously mentioned quite often in the context of sound quality. Roon Server and Squeeze Player in my opinion is in the ‘not bad’ category. But the obvious smearing of mid range notes is a disappointment after Squeeze + Squeeze.

All my listening for this was using the BNC output from the Oladra2 to a Chord Mscaler connected to a DAVE Dac (with SJ ARC6 power supply) and that is connected directly to ATC 150 Active speakers. I don’t own any headphones. Also I am listening to locally stored files on the Oladra SSD because I marginally prefer the sound compared to streaming the same files from Qobuz. My Oladra2 is connected to my local network using an Innuos PhoenixNET switch. Everything is powered through a Puritan 156 and everything is earthed with the Puritan Ground Master system with external earth rods.

Puritan 156 and everything is earthed with the Puritan Ground Master system with external earth rods.
Hello Nick,
How did the ground rods affect the SQ ?
Regards Clive

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #2,336 of 2,437
Hello Nick,
How did the ground rods affect the SQ ?
Regards Clive
Hello Clive, I like what they do a LOT! Thank you for suggesting them in conjunction with the Puritan Groundmaster. It was actually quite a task to get the rods into the ground to a good depth (two rods, both 8ft deep).

My next task is to try a 3 voltage rail LPS to power my Oladra Instead of the factory smps! I have an itch that I want to scratch.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #2,337 of 2,437
My next task is to try a 3 voltage rail LPS to power my Oladra Instead of the factory smps! I have an itch that I want to scratch.
Isn’t that was used before your G4 upgrade?

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #2,338 of 2,437
Feb 25, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #2,339 of 2,437
Isn’t that was used before your G4 upgrade?
No, the Oladra has always had a smps.

The power supplies in the Oladra V1 and V2 are essentially the same but with some slight tweaks to better suit the new USB board.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #2,340 of 2,437
Ended up coming g to a decision that K22 was the way to go for me but trying to find one in the used market is like a needle in a hay stack. Spotted a new listing for a G3 K50 yesterday morning that was a good deal so that with a Jorma AES are heading here in the next day or two. Quite looking forward to hearing this especially after watching the interview with Mark on YT last night, seems like quite a grounded guy with good design philosophy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back