CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jun 3, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #556 of 2,395
Isn’t the New K and S series replacing Cx ex that replaced DX

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #557 of 2,395
Isn’t the New K and S series replacing Cx ex that replaced DX
Yes that is correct, but apparently they are also releasing hardware upgrades for the outgoing CX and EX, utilising some of the new technology found in the K series. Rumours were early 2021, but i have heard nothing at all here in the UK, just wondering whether anyone else had any news. I am not sure if the upgrades can be user installed or you have to send the unit(s) away.

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #558 of 2,395
Since all CX / EX have their own ip addresses and are hooked up via ethernet, will it not be like an OS update on a PC?

Jun 4, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #559 of 2,395
Well there all ready is a software manager that acts like an OS update but the upgrade path is not only software but hardware and other components. So the question if ex or Cx will be offered a user pay upgrade path is something else or just move to new k or s

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #560 of 2,395
Yes that is correct, but apparently they are also releasing hardware upgrades for the outgoing CX and EX, utilising some of the new technology found in the K series.

A while back on Audiophile Style, there was a mention of an OLADRA upgrade for the CX and EX. I though that might mean the potential of a power supply upgrade. The thread can be found here. Scroll down through it for more details.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #561 of 2,395
I’ve been redoing all my pggb to 16fs 24b and actually prefer it to 32b. The extra space recouped is nice too. I have tried playback in every way available to me... roon direct, roon and hqplayer, hqplayer with hqpdcontrol, hqplayer with client player, lms and squeezelite and mpd. I’ve settled on roon and hqplayer. Many of the golden ears (not derogatory) have left roon. To me it is just too essential a part of my musical enjoyment and workflow. The best quality is probably mpd but the roon curation makes up for the slight difference with hqplayer.

I would be interested to hear what other users of pggb have settled on.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #562 of 2,395
I’ve been redoing all my pggb to 16fs 24b and actually prefer it to 32b.
Very interesting. I have not done this comparison myself, but recently asked a friend do it. He had a very strong preference for 32 bit.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #563 of 2,395
Very interesting. I have not done this comparison myself, but recently asked a friend do it. He had a very strong preference for 32 bit.
I have 2 listening stations... H2 with SRC-DX and TT2. The DX does 24b so it led me down that road.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #564 of 2,395
I have 2 listening stations... H2 with SRC-DX and TT2. The DX does 24b so it led me down that road.

Ah yes it seems widely agreed that 24b with SRC-DX is better than 32b via USB into a Chord DAC. I’ve elected to sit on the sidelines with respect to the SRC-DX for the time being.

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #565 of 2,395
I’ve been redoing all my pggb to 16fs 24b and actually prefer it to 32b. The extra space recouped is nice too. I have tried playback in every way available to me... roon direct, roon and hqplayer, hqplayer with hqpdcontrol, hqplayer with client player, lms and squeezelite and mpd. I’ve settled on roon and hqplayer. Many of the golden ears (not derogatory) have left roon. To me it is just too essential a part of my musical enjoyment and workflow. The best quality is probably mpd but the roon curation makes up for the slight difference with hqplayer.

I would be interested to hear what other users of pggb have settled on.
16fs 24bit with SRC-DX and dual bnc to my dc4 Dave with MPD on my Antipodes K50 is my favourite configuration. The increase in sound quality using MPD compared to pass through HQP by itself or Roon + pass through HQP was too big to ignore.

Note that when using the SRC-DX it is worth experimenting with different BNC cables because i found it made just about the same difference as with the mscaler.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #566 of 2,395
16fs 24bit with SRC-DX and dual bnc to my dc4 Dave with MPD on my Antipodes K50 is my favourite configuration. The increase in sound quality using MPD compared to pass through HQP by itself or Roon + pass through HQP was too big to ignore.

Note that when using the SRC-DX it is worth experimenting with different BNC cables because i found it made just about the same difference as with the mscaler.
What app are you using to control your MPD server? I’ve been using Rigelian but I am getting frustrated getting it to put tracks in order or to stop splitting albums.

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #567 of 2,395
What app are you using to control your MPD server? I’ve been using Rigelian but I am getting frustrated getting it to put tracks in order or to stop splitting albums.
With MPD on the K50 I use the MconnectHD app on an Ipad. This also integrates Tidal and Qobuz.

00D8AD3B-6D72-4A08-B8DE-7968AE61DEB5.png

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #568 of 2,395
Question for everyone: I am setting up a friend's CX, which requires moving several terabytes of music from his old USB drives to his new SSD installed in the CX.

I know the recommended method is to access both volumes via the network share, and drag and drop using my local OS (in my case Mac OS). However, from a copy perspective this is moving all the data across the network, which is an order of magnitude slower than physically copying across USB on the CX (between one drive and another) itself.

Is there a way to perform this copy on the device itself?

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #569 of 2,395
there's a back up usb slot for a memory stick, but don't know if its any faster.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #570 of 2,395
there's a back up usb slot for a memory stick, but don't know if its any faster.
True if it’s connected at USB 2.0 - then gigabit Ethernet would be twice as fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back