CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jun 8, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #571 of 2,420
Question for everyone: I am setting up a friend's CX, which requires moving several terabytes of music from his old USB drives to his new SSD installed in the CX.

I know the recommended method is to access both volumes via the network share, and drag and drop using my local OS (in my case Mac OS). However, from a copy perspective this is moving all the data across the network, which is an order of magnitude slower than physically copying across USB on the CX (between one drive and another) itself.

Is there a way to perform this copy on the device itself?
You can plug the USB drive into one of the blue USB ports at the back of the CX and use the Drive Mounter app (Settings/Drive Mounter - USB tab) to mount the drive. It will be mounted as /storage/usbdrive. In Windows File Explorer or OSX Finder you can then copy from /storage/usbdrive to /storage/'your preferred folder'.

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #572 of 2,420
small thing for iTunes and iMac users of roon on antipodes. don't know what happened but fixed. Liked promaster studio, sounds great. but iTunes is cheaper and now back to multi platform.... Cant figure out what happened but really don't care.

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #573 of 2,420
For Antipodes users who are experimenting with pggb files here is my equipment for processing and playback. I have tested many playback schemes and found the following to work best for me. Playback tested: squeezelite, mpd direct, mpd upnp/dnla, hqplayer with hqpd control, hqplayer direct, hqplayer with client, Audirvana dlna, roon direct and roon with hqplayer.

Processing: 2020 iMac, 10 core, 40gb ram with pggb (perpetual license), 16fs 24b and mp3tag

roon core: nuc7i3 with 2tb internal ssd for redbook library, 3tb usb drive for pggb

network: fibre from core to Antipodes

Antipodes EX: all software stripped except hqpe. hqpe to alsa/usb to src-dx to tt2

playback: streamed - roon/hqpe, pcm,24b,poly-sinc-guass-long,lns15,-3db
playback: pggb - roon/hqpe, pcm,24b,none,none,0db. I boot to stream settings and change on main screen of embedded app as necessary for pggb.

Of course imho, ymmv

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #574 of 2,420
I have tested many playback schemes and found the following to work best for me.
When you say “work best”, are there factors in addition to sound quality that factor into this? Seems so, but I just wanted to confirm.

My current routine is typically:
playback: discovery - roon/hqpe, pcm,32b,sync-m,lns15,0db
playback: pggb - hqpdcontrol/hqpe, pcm,32b,none,none,0db.

where discovery is a combination of files on my NAS and streamed. I say “current routine“ and not “works best“ as I haven‘t explored all the options.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #575 of 2,420
When you say “work best”, are there factors in addition to sound quality that factor into this? Seems so, but I just wanted to confirm.

My current routine is typically:
playback: discovery - roon/hqpe, pcm,32b,sync-m,lns15,0db
playback: pggb - hqpdcontrol/hqpe, pcm,32b,none,none,0db.

where discovery is a combination of files on my NAS and streamed. I say “current routine“ and not “works best“ as I haven‘t explored all the options.
It’s really “works best for me” and comprises sound quality and functionality. I personally don’t feel using roon to control hqplayer detracts from the sound. Both roon and hqpdcontrol set the stream path and trigger the play controls and then move out of the way. So to me they both sound the same. I am not a fan of rescanning the hqplayer library with each new addition. In roon I can focus on the 3tb pggb drive and make a bookmark. For my bookmarks for discovery and non pggb playback I just add the 3tb focus and invert it to exclude pggb files.

At first I felt MPD direct or even squeezelite was a better sound. Further testing showed hqplayer had a fuller sound and darker background.

Of course every system is different. The path length and route from the file storage to the player being very important to sound quality.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #576 of 2,420
It’s really “works best for me” and comprises sound quality and functionality. I personally don’t feel using roon to control hqplayer detracts from the sound. Both roon and hqpdcontrol set the stream path and trigger the play controls and then move out of the way. So to me they both sound the same. I am not a fan of rescanning the hqplayer library with each new addition. In roon I can focus on the 3tb pggb drive and make a bookmark. For my bookmarks for discovery and non pggb playback I just add the 3tb focus and invert it to exclude pggb files.

At first I felt MPD direct or even squeezelite was a better sound. Further testing showed hqplayer had a fuller sound and darker background.

Of course every system is different. The path length and route from the file storage to the player being very important to sound quality.
There really is no ‘right’ answer here.

It is what each of us prefers.

In my system i clearly hear Roon and Hqp impacting on the pggb playback SQ. That is why I have settled on MPD with the K50 for pggb playback. Sometimes I miss the functionality of Roon and switch back to using it but this has never lasted for more than 30mins before i give up on it again.

I know that this is an antipodes thread but the beta version of the innuos 2.0 app shows great promise and sounds very good playing pggb files. It would be nice if antipodes went in that direction.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #577 of 2,420
So to me they both sound the same. I am not a fan of rescanning the hqplayer library with each new addition

I only have hqpe scan my local folder that contains my PGGB tracks, so rescanning is pretty painless.

Listening so often without Roon involved has made it more difficult to enjoy Roon. There’s an edginess present that goes away when I switch over to HQPDcontrol.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #578 of 2,420
I know that this is an antipodes thread but the beta version of the innuos 2.0 app shows great promise and sounds very good playing pggb files. It would be nice if antipodes went in that direction
It would be nice if Antipodes didn’t lock K-series owners out of being able to upgrade the 3rd party software that shipped with their servers. HQPlayer embedded v4.18.0 just turned a year old yesterday. Current version is 4.24.0 and it has a bunch of features not found in the version we’re stuck with.

Jun 13, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #579 of 2,420
It would be nice if Antipodes didn’t lock K-series owners out of being able to upgrade the 3rd party software that shipped with their servers. HQPlayer embedded v4.18.0 just turned a year old yesterday. Current version is 4.24.0 and it has a bunch of features not found in the version we’re stuck with.
It is suspected that Antipodes have an update due that will sort out this mess with the K series Antipodes but for sure I am not amused having bought their top streamer to then find out that it is using out of date software.

All i can suggest is that all K series owners make their displeasure known to Antipodes on a regular basis.

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #580 of 2,420
@Kapiti (AKA Mark from Antipodes) has tried to post several times but the posts are blocked, which is unfortunate to say the least.

In fairness to Antipodes the HQP (newer versions) has a new OS that is not compatible, so Antipodes are working to accommodate different OS which has caused a delay.
Perhaps in the meantime HQP will release a version that is Antipodes friendly?

News of the upcoming CX and EX update was blocked but check the Antipodes website for any news.

Perhaps this post may be blocked.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #581 of 2,420
In fairness to Antipodes the HQP (newer versions) has a new OS that is not compatible, so Antipodes are working to accommodate different OS which has caused a delay.
I’m not understanding this. There’s nothing in the release notes to suggest such a dramatic change to the embedded version of HQPlayer.

They do have a separate product called HQPlayer OS. This is a Linux distribution that’s been optimized for HQPlayer. This is not something that should be deployed to an Antipodes server. The embedded version should continue to be the one Antipodes gives us. Descriptions provided here:

https://www.signalyst.com/custom.html

I can fully understand Antipodes wanting to get the update situation straightened out. I just wish they would have elected to allow some updates to flow out while continuing the work on the new GUI. I got my K30 in January and for the first 5 months was only singing praises on the forums. But hearing that the CX actually received updated versions brought a premature end to my honeymoon period. Easy enough though to get me back on that path. All will be good once updates are flowing at a regular pace.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #582 of 2,420
@Kapiti (AKA Mark from Antipodes) has tried to post several times but the posts are blocked, which is unfortunate to say the least.

News of the upcoming CX and EX update was blocked but check the Antipodes website for any news.

Perhaps this post may be blocked.
Just checked website, no news on upgrades, do you know any more? Are you at liberty to say? :)

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #583 of 2,420
Just checked website, no news on upgrades, do you know any more? Are you at liberty to say? :)
I have no further information other than Mark Cole aka @Kapiti emailed me June 7th that he tried to put information on this forum about the upgrade program and was blocked and again on the 13th that he wanted to post about a new OS for HQP.
I guess there maybe different rules for trade, non-trade and most importantly trade that sponsor Head-Fi.
He also hinted that a chat page may be introduced on the Antipodes website.....
Of course soon as I know anything I will post....if possible :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #584 of 2,420
I have no further information other than Mark Cole aka @Kapiti emailed me June 7th that he tried to put information on this forum about the upgrade program and was blocked and again on the 13th that he wanted to post about a new OS for HQP.
I guess there maybe different rules for trade, non-trade and most importantly trade that sponsor Head-Fi.
He also hinted that a chat page may be introduced on the Antipodes website.....
Of course soon as I know anything I will post....if possible :wink:
Clive, I emailed Mark Cole aka @Kapiti a few days ago saying if he can give me an update I am happy to copy and paste onto here because that will be allowed but I have not yet heard back from him.

I am sure they are busy at Antipodes working away doing stuff to get to where we all want them to be with the K series software but I am equally sure that a few words saying what they are doing and with a hoped for timescale of an estimated number of weeks/months would go a long way to reassure their loyal owners.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #585 of 2,420
I will email Mark but anyone know if you can view Two mounted SSD drives as individual drives in File Explorer?

In the server it combines the two drives as one.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back