CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jun 21, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #587 of 2,420
I believe the Update will be available August along with upgrade to OLADRA technology for CX and EX.

Jun 22, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #588 of 2,420
I believe the Update will be available August along with upgrade to OLADRA technology for CX and EX.
August is not very far away, a couple of months or so.

Thanks for posting that.

Jun 26, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #589 of 2,420
Been trying out the SRC-DX dual mode to chord dac dual BNC inputs from Antipodes EX audio powered USB output and then using the Antipodes EX second non powered USB output going direct to chord dac USB input using a Acoustic Revive USB-1.0SPS which has separate power/audio.

Was trying to do a direct comparison by switching the input on the chord dac from dual bnc mode then to usb so I can compare 24bit PGGB through SRC-DX and direct through USB.

Switching the input on the chord dac from dual bnc to USB made no change; it will remain on whichever input is first recognized and will only switch if you disconnect the other USB cable.

Anyone else tried this?

Jun 26, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #590 of 2,420
Been trying out the SRC-DX dual mode to chord dac dual BNC inputs from Antipodes EX audio powered USB output and then using the Antipodes EX second non powered USB output going direct to chord dac USB input using a Acoustic Revive USB-1.0SPS which has separate power/audio.

Was trying to do a direct comparison by switching the input on the chord dac from dual bnc mode then to usb so I can compare 24bit PGGB through SRC-DX and direct through USB.

Switching the input on the chord dac from dual bnc to USB made no change; it will remain on whichever input is first recognized and will only switch if you disconnect the other USB cable.

Anyone else tried this?
I switch between the USB and BNC out on the K50 to the Dave and DaveMsacler if that counts (similar).
I much prefer the BNC out with a Wave cable.
To do the switch I needed to switch the player output in the player software.
You can only output one source at a time from the Antipodes that is why Dave only sees one at a time perhaps depending on which was plugged in first as the player software outputs on the first one plugged in by default the second output from the ex has to be selected ?
Hope it helps

Jun 26, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #591 of 2,420
@Clive101 Yes as you said the Antipodes outputs one source at a time that is what's causing the issue. I am sure they could provide a future update to have the servers recognise when switching USB audio outputs to compatible dac.

Jun 26, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #592 of 2,420
Hi, new to posting but have read through this thread and thought I’d join in having just acquired a S40.

Two things worth mentioning, first, it has made a significant difference compared to the Project Stream Ultra I was using previously. So much so it has necessitated a period of adjustment regarding speaker position and room treatment. Second, I was interested to see mention of burn in as it does seem to vary a bit, especially with the high end. It has sounded glorious, but, it has also sounded worryingly harsh.

During the glorious moments, the change in sound fits all the cliches we know and love so I won’t repeat them. However worth noting that if I’d got the same improvement in sound having just changed to a more powerful amplifier, I’d be less surprised than I am having gained so much from the source alone.

I’ve settled for the moment on treatment and speaker placements and now need to let the S40 settle/burn-in as I’ve only had it a few days.

As an initial assessment I’d say huge potential but not yet showing all I hope (and expect) it to be capable of.

FYI

using Qobuz, Mscaler/TT2, Norma IPA 70 and Marten Duke 2 speakers.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #593 of 2,420
Hi, new to posting but have read through this thread and thought I’d join in having just acquired a S40.

Two things worth mentioning, first, it has made a significant difference compared to the Project Stream Ultra I was using previously. So much so it has necessitated a period of adjustment regarding speaker position and room treatment. Second, I was interested to see mention of burn in as it does seem to vary a bit, especially with the high end. It has sounded glorious, but, it has also sounded worryingly harsh.

During the glorious moments, the change in sound fits all the cliches we know and love so I won’t repeat them. However worth noting that if I’d got the same improvement in sound having just changed to a more powerful amplifier, I’d be less surprised than I am having gained so much from the source alone.

I’ve settled for the moment on treatment and speaker placements and now need to let the S40 settle/burn-in as I’ve only had it a few days.

As an initial assessment I’d say huge potential but not yet showing all I hope (and expect) it to be capable of.

FYI

using Qobuz, Mscaler/TT2, Norma IPA 70 and Marten Duke 2 speakers.
Welcome… my experience is that Antipodes does benefit from burn in. I’ve been using my EX as a roon server and minimserver with playback from network 2 to a usbridge signature, src-dx and tt2 (dbnc). Although it may not be as powerful as a roon server, there is a sound improvement over a regular computer.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #594 of 2,420
A couple hundred hours and you should be in the sweet spot

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #596 of 2,420
I wonder if I can tap in to Antipodes’ owners experience as to which of the following either/or scenarios they feel sounds best:

Use the supplied Ethernet cable or something else?
Supplied power cord or ‘proper’ power cord?
Plugged in to a mains conditioner (I have the AQ Niagara 1200) or direct to mains?
Supplied power supply or something else (barring the S20 for now)?
Use supplied feet or other vibration option (I have some Stillpoints at the moment)

Thanks in advance…

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #597 of 2,420
The only thing I haven’t gone down the rabbit hole with are feet thingies, and haven’t blown a load on power conditioners, ( although plenty have and seem to like it) but tried power cords that look like it would power up a aircraft carrier…..its athletics, it’s insurance, it all may help or seem like it might. But that’s just my humble and somewhat limited opinion. I haven’t done any srx boxes or bnc stuff given my dac. But I’m I cable believer….I have no stock of anything.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #598 of 2,420
The only thing I haven’t gone down the rabbit hole with are feet thingies, and haven’t blown a load on power conditioners, ( although plenty have and seem to like it) but tried power cords that look like it would power up a aircraft carrier…..its athletics, it’s insurance, it all may help or seem like it might. But that’s just my humble and somewhat limited opinion. I haven’t done any srx boxes or bnc stuff given my dac. But I’m I cable believer….I have no stock of anything.
I’d definitely buy a product if it was called ’Feet Thingies’, they’d have to be good, class…

I have Stillpoints under my TT2, but not the Mscaler as it didn’t seem to like them. I also have an AQ cable for the Niagara and a Naim Powerline for the amplifier and I’ve no doubt they make a difference to the overall sound.

I’ll probably play around with all the above scenarios once the S40 is settled.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #599 of 2,420
Have you noticed the high pitch squeal when pausing or stopping a track on your EX? If allowed to finish there is no squeal. I find if after a pause or stop I quickly play a non pggb track and then stop the squeal is gone.
Are you guys still experiencing this as I am currently using the SRC-DX playing PGGB files and not having any high pitch squeal when paused or stopped. I do if I go direct USB from EX to dac.

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #600 of 2,420
Are you guys still experiencing this as I am currently using the SRC-DX playing PGGB files and not having any high pitch squeal when paused or stopped. I do if I go direct USB from EX to dac.
It seems to be another reason to use the SRC-DX. It stops the high pitched squeal when MPD is stopped or paused on the Antipodes when playing high res files (705 / 768).

So just to answer your question, yes I am still experiencing the squeal but only when using MPD without the SRC-DX.

I am hoping / assuming that the new software slated for August will give me the opportunity to use Squeezelite for the PGGB file playback as well as MPD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back