Customs IEM and how long it last??
Apr 13, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #16 of 30
My jh16 pros are I think 9 years old and still fit the same (one side has always slopped around a bit with running). I got them when they first came out. I'm on my 6th cord and after the first replacement cord JH audio started to really price gouge on the cord It went from I think$20 shipped (CDN) to now $80 of of that is shipping. If they just sent them like they used to then it would be cheap.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #18 of 30
This is a really interesting question. I would love to hear individual feedback on the longevity of CIEM's. Cables and sockets aside, it does not seem that there is much that can go wrong except for defective/short lived armatures. But with the prices of top tier products this is certainly a relevant purchase criterion.
This is probably the biggest caveat of going for expensive CIEMs with many balanced armatures.
It's increasing the chance of failure of BA exponentially. Because even with only one BA defective, your CIEMs become unusable.
For 2500-3000$, you would believe they could at least propose 2-3 years warranty for high-end models, but most don't, which is disappointing...

The ony consolation is that you can easily subscribe a separate insurance with your bank or whoever you use for insurances. That can cover part of the initial price in case of failure.
I have a generic insurance for electronics with my bank. I can get about 50-70% money back for 3 years for a miserable monthly fee (about 10$/month for 20k$ of stuff).

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #19 of 30
For me personally, my custom IEMs have had a good fit for maybe 3-4 years.

My first pair were soft silicone eartips. I got them in 2009, and by 2012 or so they still went in my ears, but were too tight so the IEMs would tend to squeeze out.

My second pair were Unique Melody remolds. I got them in 2011, and they fit well until roughly 2014. They were hard acrylic, and now they still go in my ears but don't seal completely. They might be adjustable with some nail polish.

My third pair are Westone ES5's that I got in 2013. They were painful at the beginning, being too long and irritating a nerve in my inner ear. Westone shortened them for me, and they were OK for a while, but now they are painful again, more the day after than when I'm wearing them.

Because of this, I'm actually planning to go the universal route for my next IEMs. I'm tired of doing the ear molds, adjustments, and then not having something usable 3-4 years later. Part of that is also that I'm no longer super active in Head-Fi, so I'm not on the upgrade train anymore. If you are going to upgrade every couple of years (or months), it may be less of an issue.

$.02

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #20 of 30
My first set of customs were from 2 years ago and still fit perfect and comfy. My second set just arrived :) I guess it also depends on your age - the later in your life you get one - the less change, I guess.

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 30
My first set of customs were from 2 years ago and still fit perfect and comfy. My second set just arrived :) I guess it also depends on your age - the later in your life you get one - the less change, I guess.

That seems to imply I'm younger than you, which I'm not sure is true.

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #22 of 30
Apr 20, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #24 of 30
This is probably the biggest caveat of going for expensive CIEMs with many balanced armatures.
It's increasing the chance of failure of BA exponentially. Because even with only one BA defective, your CIEMs become unusable.
For 2500-3000$, you would believe they could at least propose 2-3 years warranty for high-end models, but most don't, which is disappointing...

The ony consolation is that you can easily subscribe a separate insurance with your bank or whoever you use for insurances. That can cover part of the initial price in case of failure.
I have a generic insurance for electronics with my bank. I can get about 50-70% money back for 3 years for a miserable monthly fee (about 10$/month for 20k$ of stuff).

Well, there is at least one manufacturer who does offer great out of warranty service:
http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-accessories/maintenance-kits

$99 flat fee to fix anything that might need fixing. So far I have yet to hear anyone complain about their customer service, it really is exemplary in my experience. Others should take note :)
They also adjust the fit for the same flat fee, so your issues would be taken care of with only $99 at Ultimate Ears.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #25 of 30
Hello,

This seem to be a _very_ important subject. I am quite astonished it is not discussed more.
Do custom IEM actually last long enough for people to forget the price they paid for ?

I read IEMs fit lasts between 2 and 5 years before your ears get too large and it needs a refit.

- Do you think that is the actual average duration ?

- I could not find companies offering reshell, remold or refit, from another brand than theirs.
I also only found Inearz and UE offering refits for their own. Inearz apparently only does it if the device is less than 5 years old.
I do not see myself buying a 1000$ device from a IEM company that disappears, and nowhere to make a refit after 2 years.
Do you know companies offering refits for any brand and that may exist in the near future ?

- How long do IEM's internal speakers last ? Does the small size affect lifespan compared to monitors in a studio ?
If some talk about a ~burning~ period, that may also logically imply a change over time afterwards ? That may not obligatory affect SQ though.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 30
Hello,

This see the subject as _very_ important. I am quite astonished it is not discussed more.
Do custom IEM actually last long enough for people to forget the price they paid for ?

I read IEMs fit lasts between 2 and 5 years before your ears get too large and it needs a refit.

- Do you think that is the actual average duration ?

- I could not find companies offering reshell, remold or refit, from another brand than theirs.
I also only found Inearz and UE offering refits for their own. Inearz apparently only does it if the device is less than 5 years old.
I do not see myself buying a 1000$ device from a IEM company that disappears, and nowhere to make a refit after 2 years.
Do you know companies offering refits for any brand and that may exist in the near future ?

- How long do IEM's internal speakers last ? Does the small size affect lifespan compared to monitors in a studio ?
If some talk about a ~burning~ period, that may also logically imply a change over time afterwards ? That may not obligatory affect SQ though.

There are a few local audio shops in my country that do new customs for existing customs of other brands (reshell), they charge about 150 usd (not inclusive of new ear impressions). Custom IEMs no doubt improve isolation and fit compared to universals but reselling them is a bit of a hassle.

As for how long do IEM drivers last? I have a few westones that are 10 and 15 years old respectively and are still working today. The cable is usually the first point of failure rather than the driver, those westones died at the cable but after doing an mmcx mod/recabling they are still working.

If u baby your set and don't knock/drop it or wet it with sweat etc or just scrunch it into your bag/pocket, they can last a long time.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #27 of 30
Hello !

There are a few local audio shops in my country that do new customs for existing customs of other brands (reshell), they charge about 150 usd (not inclusive of new ear impressions).

Do you know if they accept shipping etc ?
I do not find any of these reshell or refit service in Europe (+ UK :wink:).

Again, this is not for now. I am prospecting to make sure I can keep IEM in the mid-term.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #28 of 30
Hello !

Do you know if they accept shipping etc ?
I do not find any of these reshell or refit service in Europe (+ UK :wink:).

Again, this is not for now. I am prospecting to make sure I can keep IEM in the mid-term.

The resheller shop is called Naga Audio: http://store.treoo.com/naga-audio-reshell-service-for-balanced-armature-iem-to-custom-iem.html

I'm not sure if they accept shipping to Europe, but no harm contacting them. I would think it might be pretty expensive to ship stuff to and fro though, as it is based in Singapore.
Good luck in your search!

Apr 24, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #29 of 30
I just want to add my long term experience. After 10 years there was a bass issue with my JH11 Pros. Turns out, one of the two bass drivers has to be changed. JH Audio did it for 75$. Very reasonable. I also got new 2pin sockets, these didn't hold the cable tight anymore.

The CIEM became a bit loose in my ears after like 7 years, but I gained like 15 kilos after that. Now they fit great again.

Apr 24, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #30 of 30
My JH 11 Pros are nearly 10 years old and still fit as perfectly as they did when I got them. The pin sockets are a little loose likely from all the cable changes but I never use them anymore anyway since I have Roxanne and Layla now lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back