Customs and exercise
Jan 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #16 of 26
The only issue I think you might have is micro phonics while running. I can't imagine a better way to exercise than jamming to a perfect fit. That is why I got them. I just got custom molds made for my A5s from Beltone for $150. I spent $300 for the iems. If they eventually die, so long as I get a year or two out of them, that's cool with me. It is worth the expense.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only issue I think you might have is micro phonics while running. I can't imagine a better way to exercise than jamming to a perfect fit. That is why I got them. I just got custom molds made for my A5s from Beltone for $150. I spent $300 for the iems. If they eventually die, so long as I get a year or two out of them, that's cool with me. It is worth the expense.

I've run and ridden mtn bikes for a long time with the Westone UM2 and now the W3. The westone cable is so supple that I don't have ANY issues with microphonics at all. I also agree that a could live with a year or two out of them. I'm more concerned with how well a good seal is maintained with heavy sweating. One of the reasons I ask is that around the house I like silicone tips. When exercising with silicone tips the seal eventually breaks. Comply, Olives, etc stay sealed the entire session.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #19 of 26
I'm looking to buy a pair of custom headphones (Sleek Audio CT7 + Wirless) and the only thing holding me back is fear they will break down from use while exercising or won't stay firm to my head (the wireless system)

I mean intense exercise like down ups, pull ups, spinning in circles while rocking your head back and forth kind of work out. I do crossfit, Martial arts and everything in between.

So far on the forum i see like:
25% i don't use custom IEM's for working out but its a bad idea
25% i used custom IEM's for working out and the broke
50% i use my custom IEM's for working out and there fine

Which isn't conclusive at all, possible some people just get unlucky or mis-use the product, etc... or maybe the people using are the lucky ones.

It seems to me that if the inner ear doesn't sweat and you limit moisture being carried to the ear by having short hair/using a sweat band then there isn't even a possibility of damage... any thoughts?

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #20 of 26
I think Westone "iCustom" shell is better because any earbuds like Sennheiser MX980, PK1, OK1 canbe use with it and they all sound fun and very detailed.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #21 of 26
Bringing an old topic back to life.

Ihave been using customs for working out, and I sweat a ton. Like my shirts will be completely wet after running 5 miles in 40 mins session.

So far nothing broke. I believe leaving them on your ears while sweating should be fine. If you insist in Taking them out from time to time, dry your ears a bit with a towel before you put them back in.

Finally, I live in a very humid city. So,... I developed the habit of leaving my customs on my dehumidifier about once or twice a month. Just in case if there's any moisture inside dem.

One time I accidentally got one of my custom wet, left it on top ofmy dehumidifier, and it came back to life. I seriously believe the customs are built pretty tough, and they last....

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #23 of 26
I clogged a filter in one of my CIEMs and killed the channel, and it won't come back to life.  Now I use dynamic driver CIEMs (the i9pro).

Is this from intense work-out sessions when you sweat a lot, like soaking your shirts??
Now I'm a little worry seeing how you have a wide range of experience with customs, and you must have quite a few to swap around as well...

Can you tell us what happened? Your experience and circumstances...

I guess I better stick to my old pair of customs when I work out then... Since I might've already damaged it somehow...:mad:

Can anyone else share your experience?

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #24 of 26
When I'm in the gym I can sweat a lot and worse, get my cord caught on a weight/machine etc... I find it's wisest to use this opportunity to enjoy cheap (read as disposable) IEMs.

On the other hand I see many people in the gym slowly walking on treadmills, curling 20 pound dumbells etc... So if you're not exercising seriously (the majority in globo gyms) your risk factors for IEMs are pretty low.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #25 of 26
Is this from intense work-out sessions when you sweat a lot, like soaking your shirts??
Now I'm a little worry seeing how you have a wide range of experience with customs, and you must have quite a few to swap around as well...

Can you tell us what happened? Your experience and circumstances...

I guess I better stick to my old pair of customs when I work out then... Since I might've already damaged it somehow...:mad:

Can anyone else share your experience?

I was sweating quite a bit and pulled one out to talk with someone. I ended up talking for 5-10 minutes and when I put it back in, my sweat had run down my ear and pretty much soaked the thing. I had no sound right away, and that was it.

I had been using them for months prior with no issues. Now I only use dynamics, but cheap stuff just doesn't get me going like the quality music I have become accustomed to, hence using the i9pro.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #26 of 26
An acrylic custom is the best IEM you could use for exercise and heavy sweat because it is not porous.  It is virtually impossible for sweat to get into the IEM.  Imposssible!

If you take out, re-insert, take out, re-insert, etc....then you are at risk.  Don't take phone calls while exercising!!    (why would you?).

I've sweated gallons on my JH5's the past 3 years and they sound and work as good as the day I bought them.  Original stock cable too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back