Customized DT990 (MANUFAKTUR)
Jan 21, 2008 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

udeupa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am thinking about to get a customized DT990 (MANUFAKTUR), and I have several questions here. Hopefully someone could share the experience with me. Thanks.

1. Is Central Europe Website the only place I can get DT-990 customized? Is there any US dealer that I can purchased from?

2. Should I choose impedance at 32ohm? 250ohm? or 600 ohm?
My source are:
1. Computer USB + Corda Cantate
2. X5L + Corda Cantate

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 23
i would suggest you to pick a used dt990-250ohm and have a listen to them first before proceeding. Some headfiers prefer the highs and strong bass of the dt990 while some didnt really care about it.

thats my 2c

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 23
1. most likely. not too sure about this but like you, i havent seen any other placed to order a manufaktur other than the beyer site

2. 600ohm...definitely.

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 23
The only way you can get Beyer Manufaktur 'phones is to order them from Beyer's German site. You used to be able to access the page from BeyerdynamicUSA website - buy they screwed up (IMO) by no longer allowing access via that routing. The only Manufaktur via USA is an aviation segment that does you no good in this instance. A significant faux pas.

There is NO QUESTION that the absolute best version is 600ohms, and also strongly recommend you go with velour earpads with them. I only like the gen. Leather with dt770's. They shouldn't even offer that option with them. This is an excellent open choice as opposed to the also top-of-the-class closed x-deep Darths......I luv both - my two most-used 'phones.
Amp? You will need POWER. My personal choice has been Meier Corda Prehead MKII (if you can find one now). An alternative (but, not only) could be Opera with the gain raised. That good bass you get requires the juice to be produced properly. Some have reported being happy using the Corda HA-2.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is NO QUESTION that the absolute best version is 600ohms, and also strongly recommend you go with velour earpads with them. I only like the gen. Leather with dt770's. They shouldn't even offer that option with them. This is an excellent open choice as opposed to the also top-of-the-class closed x-deep Darths......I luv both - my two most-used 'phones.
Amp? You will need POWER. My personal choice has been Meier Corda Prehead MKII (if you can find one now). An alternative (but, not only) could be Opera with the gain raised. That good bass you get requires the juice to be produced properly. Some have reported being happy using the Corda HA-2.

I have Corda Cantate... is this enough to drive 600ohm version?

Why 600ohm thought? what's the differences between all 3?
I know 32ohm is easy to drive, but what's wrong with easy driving?
confused.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 23
IIRC newer cordas have pretty low voltage gain, so they would have some troubles with that demanding headphone, though Im not sure... Im not sure. 600ohm version is for amplifiers that can do strong voltage gain, like most tube amps. Why 600ohm is better, I leave that to others.

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 23
Putting it in a nutshell - 600 ohm 'phones produce smoother treble than their lower ohmed brothers. The other generalization which holds true is they produce the bass part of the sound spectrum with greater "authority", meaning the bass is more effortless-sounding.............on the otherhand, if you have a 'phone eg. dt770 well-known for it's emphasis on deep bass - you don't want to further increase that proclivity - so that is one instance where the musically-best examples are the 32 and 80 ohm models. This is a slight simplification because other components also enter into the picture.

I'd heard of that Hong Kong reference once before. Who has actually gotten a pair from them in the last 1 1/2 years? It seems more like a very urban myth.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 23
Can't help there. I had mine when that claim was made so did not note it. Actually, my recollection is that 2 people made that claim in the same thread, but I don't recall they gave any address except to say Hong Kong..........nor was there any other follow-up from any purchaser. My belief is a store had gotten a small stock at the 2005 introduction time (remember, Jan had a stock of 32 ohm models [now long gone]). It is probable that Beyer had done that to get them out into the market place for people to become familiar with them, or as a favor to a couple of their better retailers. Why are you seeking an alternative to using the Beyer website? Do you really think someone will be selling a customized item any cheaper? Forgeddaboutit.....ain't gonna happen.

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 23
i would also suggest, at least for us here in the US, to watch the dollar=euro conversion. With today's economic market you want to "lock in" your price on the website when the dollar/euro ratio is most favorable

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by udeupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why 600ohm thought? what's the differences between all 3?
I know 32ohm is easy to drive, but what's wrong with easy driving?
confused.gif

The difference between the 3 is that the lead wire which is moving the voice coil is probably thinner/there are less loops around the voice coil ergo the moving mass of the driver is lower. Ergo the resolution of the driver is higher and the bass is more controlled.

Though the thinner cable/less loops are not that efficient.

Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back