CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #2,431 of 2,466
Made some time to play around with the filters. Here is my impression:

Without the filters this IEM feels hollow. It still has the same kind of details, texture and resolution but the after decay effects are more prolonged while the notes have compromised bases a their point of origin. They are way too wide at the floor while they have a hollowish timber. Bass is flattish while the mids and vocals have nearly similar emphasis and energy, the treble is a a bit sharper with extra finishing energy.
So that's the first question answered, no filter is not a very good option, Hybrid 3 pro is tuned with a filter, unlike the Fibae 5.

The Grey filter increases the bass quantity by a small margin. It provide a bit more mid bass body and considerably more rumble while the sub-bass gains tiny bit more rumble. The area of impact is bigger, so is the punch. One good thing is the notes fire up with an angle instead of moving horizontally, leaving room for better air while satying clear of other instruments. We get more overall coloration too as the signature is more W shaped where the instruments along with the vocals are pushed back as the bass takes the driving seat. Vocals still have similar pop to them but the notes are not as tall as the mid treble or mid bass. Treble plays the supporting role with similar energy and attack as the brown filter but it feels elevated because of the less energetic mid range. Sonics are slightly less prominent and transparency of micro details are slightly lowered too.

The yellow filters are more balanced and delivering more precision and accuracy by reducing the bass quantity and providing more energy to the mid range. We get much tighter and lighter bass notes, they are there but aren't heavy or impactful. It definitely cuts out any mud and tightens the notes. Is this filter good for detail hogs? Kind of, mostly because of its superior transparency and clarity but on the down side we get some unrequired sharpness that can make the whole experience uncomfortable, especially with rock or metal tracks. I definitely would like to have a bit less attack and no prizes for guessing, I am back to the brown filters.

It's excellent to have options but these filters need a bit more work, putting these in isn't a child's play either and they need a bit of refinement before they reach the sonical level of Apex Modules by 64audio. The treble especially is a bit off with both the filters and if this can be refined, these filters too can do wonders!!

Aug 26, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #2,432 of 2,466
Curious if anyone has any comparisons of the Fibae 5 or 7u to the Gaea, Kadence, or SE846.

Aug 26, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #2,433 of 2,466
Curious if anyone has any comparisons of the Fibae 5 or 7u to the Gaea, Kadence, or SE846.
I've compared both the 5 and 7U to the Gaea

In my opinion and its only to my ears...the Gaea doesn't compete with either

Against the 5 it is too harsh and sharp, not as smooth in the mids and bass is lacking

The 7U gives a smoother overall presentation again with deeper bass and less sharpness in the highs

The Gaea though does present the music as more 'in your face' if that's how you prefer your sound, it is a snappier iem that on its own merits is a great iem but its almost a bit unfair to compare to the 2 from Custom Art as they are totally different sound signatures

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #2,434 of 2,466
Made some time to play around with the filters. Here is my impression:

Without the filters this IEM feels hollow. It still has the same kind of details, texture and resolution but the after decay effects are more prolonged while the notes have compromised bases a their point of origin. They are way too wide at the floor while they have a hollowish timber. Bass is flattish while the mids and vocals have nearly similar emphasis and energy, the treble is a a bit sharper with extra finishing energy.
So that's the first question answered, no filter is not a very good option, Hybrid 3 pro is tuned with a filter, unlike the Fibae 5.

The Grey filter increases the bass quantity by a small margin. It provide a bit more mid bass body and considerably more rumble while the sub-bass gains tiny bit more rumble. The area of impact is bigger, so is the punch. One good thing is the notes fire up with an angle instead of moving horizontally, leaving room for better air while satying clear of other instruments. We get more overall coloration too as the signature is more W shaped where the instruments along with the vocals are pushed back as the bass takes the driving seat. Vocals still have similar pop to them but the notes are not as tall as the mid treble or mid bass. Treble plays the supporting role with similar energy and attack as the brown filter but it feels elevated because of the less energetic mid range. Sonics are slightly less prominent and transparency of micro details are slightly lowered too.

The yellow filters are more balanced and delivering more precision and accuracy by reducing the bass quantity and providing more energy to the mid range. We get much tighter and lighter bass notes, they are there but aren't heavy or impactful. It definitely cuts out any mud and tightens the notes. Is this filter good for detail hogs? Kind of, mostly because of its superior transparency and clarity but on the down side we get some unrequired sharpness that can make the whole experience uncomfortable, especially with rock or metal tracks. I definitely would like to have a bit less attack and no prizes for guessing, I am back to the brown filters.

It's excellent to have options but these filters need a bit more work, putting these in isn't a child's play either and they need a bit of refinement before they reach the sonical level of Apex Modules by 64audio. The treble especially is a bit off with both the filters and if this can be refined, these filters too can do wonders!!
Thanks for this writeup! I experimented a touch with the filters too but I don't have as much of developed palate for hearing those differences as you did. I also have no experience with other companies' filter modules. Really, it's my first time with a dynamic driver IEM (that's not like basic Apple pods or something). Best I could tell, I did hear the bass increases/decreases, but even the yellow filter never thinned out the bass to the point of extinction. I may end up daily driving the yellow but it's probably good for me to train my ears by switching around from time to time,

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #2,435 of 2,466
I shared my impressions on the Hybrid 3 Pro in the respective impression thread 😊

I want to share my impressions on the H3 Pro after some weeks of usage.

The sound is incredibly great 😊 I like the Custom Art house sound very much. So I even didn't try the options which come with the tuning kit.

I'm not using the provided stock cable. I changed it to the same cable I'm using with the FIBAE 5 - the FIBAE 5 stock cable.

Compared to the FIBAE 5 it has a little smaller soundstage and less air (extended treble). I like the DD mids of the H3 Pro more than the FIBAE 5 BA mids. So the H3 Pro currently gets more listening time than the FIBAE 5. In all other aspects for me it's similar to the FIBAE 5.

Overall a great IEM I'm very much enjoying 😊

One wish to @piotrus-g
An H3 Pro with the two planar drivers of the FIBAE 5 would be a wonderful IEM for me 😊

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #2,436 of 2,466
What a weekend I had! Last minute, my ex backs out of the duty, so I gleefully agree to move my 19 year old daughter into her new college dorm in New London, Connecticut, from Socal 😁

For the trip, I brought the trusty and very portable Cayin N6ii R01 with CA FIBAE 5 ciem which I decided to focus some time on after months away from it.

Wow, what an awesome and entertaining listen the F5 is, and with CA's excellent custom fit, no tip worries and it blocks all the noise. I listened for the entire plane ride both ways and in the evenings when the work was done, the thing just becomes a part of your body. F5 has such amazing separation of instruments and staging, a real around your head sensation. Strong, authoritative but not overdone bass from a perfectly tuned DD, and such beautiful highs from those planar and BA mixed drivers. The entirety of my library so far sounds completely beautiful and technical. I thoroughly enjoyed it coming from a steady diet of Singularity and my grail, Xe6. For its price, it's a true standout among the competition.

And the daughter was happy and satisfied with her new room, so everyone wins!!
Cross posting from Watercooler

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #2,437 of 2,466
I shared my impressions on the Hybrid 3 Pro in the respective impression thread 😊

One wish to @piotrus-g
An H3 Pro with the two planar drivers of the FIBAE 5 would be a wonderful IEM for me 😊
Thanks, noted, though probably it would be then more expensive and there's always 5 but I get why you'd prefer H3 in certain areas over F5:wink:

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #2,439 of 2,466
Thanks, noted, though probably it would be then more expensive and there's always 5 but I get why you'd prefer H3 in certain areas over F5:wink:
Thanks 😊 It will be too close to F5 to justify the development 😉
Both H3 and F5 are great IEM and I enjoy them together with the F7U of course 😊

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #2,440 of 2,466
The 7U gives a smoother overall presentation again with deeper bass and less sharpness in the highs
Would you consider the 7U an all rounder? I use my SE846 as an all rounder but am looking for something new.

Sep 4, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #2,441 of 2,466
Would you consider the 7U an all rounder? I use my SE846 as an all rounder but am looking for something new.

F7U is actually much better balanced, more neutrally tuned IEM than SE840 and is one of the good reference-ish sets you can buy at its price IMO. On top of that, F7U has one of the nicest spacious, wide and open sounding soundstages in its price range with benchmark technical performance - something other Custom Art IEMs like older F7, F5 and the new H3 Pro do too at different, varying degrees. It's quite a safe recommendation for me. You can read my detailed review if you'd like to know more - here.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #2,442 of 2,466
I definitely would! It handled my entire library easily with no genre losing out. An unsung hero of the all BA sets!

Sep 4, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,443 of 2,466
F7U is actually much better balanced, more neutrally tuned IEM than SE840 and is one of the good reference-ish sets you can buy at its price IMO. On top of that, F7U has one of the nicest spacious, wide and open sounding soundstages in its price range with benchmark technical performance - something other Custom Art IEMs like older F7, F5 and the new H3 Pro do too at different, varying degrees. It's quite a safe recommendation for me. You can read my detailed review if you'd like to know more - here.
Agree on all accounts. I also reviewed it and found it to be a safe, balanced offering.

F7U

Sep 4, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #2,444 of 2,466
I think others have answered your query but would also agree with what has been said
It's been a while since I owned the SE 846 but the F7U is a great all rounder that is balanced and I think reasonably neutral, doesn't miss a beat with any music I try with them

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,445 of 2,466
Hey guys! Here's my review of Custom Art's Hybrid 3 Pro 2DD + 1 Planar Driver hybrid IEM. Quite a nice addition to Custom Art's new lineup of IEMs. Even more fun to see the interesting driver configs they're experimenting with to tune some very interesting signatures and providing Knowles filter based tuning kits to fine tune the bass shelf to one's liking (which aren't the easiest to handle but do the job quite well). Enjoy the read! Let me know if you have any questions for me. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back