CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #2,116 of 2,468
Hey, everyone! Earlier this week, I was graced with the arrival of my FIBAE 7U review unit, which I've been listening to and comparing the OG 7 against ever since. I've compiled my initial impressions (along with a few glamour shots) down below, and I hope you all enjoy the read. Cheers! :)

CA-F7U-HF-S-2.jpg

Obviously a successor (or variant, if you like) of their flagship FIBAE 7, the 7U was tuned with consumer feedback in mind. This meant alterations made to the low-end, upper-midrange and mid-treble, and that’s exactly what you’ll find here. Compared to the OG, which I’ve described as forward, intimate and - at times - intense, the 7U steps back for a more far-field feel with neutrally-sized, neutrally-positioned instruments, as well as a more even balance across its frequency range. I’m getting just barely more lead instrument than kick drum on the vast majority of tracks I’ve listened to, and now they’re tighter - more compact - in size and shape as well; more studio than jazz café. This is a monitor that’s more macro than micro, meaning it encourages you to take in a track or soundscape as a whole, rather than zero-in on specific instruments, which the OG would push you to do. While I described the 7 as a photo with a vignette and saturation, the 7U is almost one taken with a wide-angle lens, which results in a tidier, more relaxed, more just-there IEM overall.

Technically, the 7U gains from both its tuning shift, as well as the refinements Piotr was able to coax out of its electronics. Pulling back the OG’s upper-midrange peak allows a broader view of the track you’re listening to, so you’re able to ‘see’ more of it at once. You do lose the ability to zoom-in on the lead instrument a tad, but it’s a small trade-off. Then, the 7U’s crisper mid-treble sharpens up its layering and separation, which - followed by stronger treble extension - cleans/tightens up its attack, adds a bit of air and boosts stereo spread; left-right separation. All the while, the OG’s seamless, uniform timbre and speed has been kept intact. For me, the only department where the 7U hasn’t drastically improved over its predecessor is dynamic range. When tracks go big and roar, you can almost hear it hit a ceiling on both in-ears. The 7U can’t quite achieve the massive, sweeping contrasts - those huge dynamic swings - that the summit-fi of in-ears (typically priced in excess of $3000) are capable of. And, clearly, those cons would only apply to those already used to those sorts of IEMs. Otherwise, to my ears, the 7U is an admirable show of growth from the OG in expansion and precision.

CA-F7U-HF-S-4.jpg

The bottom-end on the 7U has a meatier thump to it. It’s more rounded and distinct than the foundational, blended-in bass the OG 7 had. Kick drums strike forward, and, again, they’re almost at equal footing with the lead instrument. So, you’ll get a ton more oomph on electronica or hip/hop, but - combined with the 7U’s more neutral high-mids - at the cost of the OG’s strong vocal focus. In texture and definition, you’ll definitely get your money’s worth here. It’s not gonna edge out a DD, and it’s just on the precipice of the almost-DD tier that, say, the A12t and (more recently) the Sharona reside in. But, it has great character and detail among its peers for sure, especially because of its stronger sub-bass and extended treble. The former gives it a physical, chesty rumble that I felt the OG lacked, and the latter carves out lots more space around bass notes, so they’re given the license to shine. If you’re coming from the 7, the 7U will surely deliver a whole other tier of bass performance, as long as you, again, don’t mind the spotlight it’ll take from the midrange in the process.

The 7U’s midrange sits very comfortably in that neutral-reference zone, where its presence really depends on the track. It isn’t nearly as upfront as it is on the OG, so you won’t get that whisper-in-your-ear sort of sound on the 7U. Again, this is very comparable to the difference between near-field and far-field monitors; micro vs. macro. If you want your vocals to sit in the mix and lay back, the 7U’s presentation is favorable. Whereas, the OG is stronger if you want leads to really take centre-stage. Vocal timbre, as always with Custom Art, is clean with a slight sway. Textures and nuances are well-shown, and it’s similar to the OG in that they aren’t bathed in mid- or upper-bass warmth. But, there’s still an organic, lush quality to them. And, on the 7U, there’s clearly a more even balance between body and articulation (or attack, or projection, or shoutiness) to my ears than the OG. Vocals and horn sections may not be as vibrant, big or go-for-broke as they are on the latter; not as theatrical. But, again, the gains are in overall stage organization, instrument definition and stereo spread.

CA-F7U-HF-S-3.jpg

Up high, the 7U isn’t far off the OG. It coasts smooth, it’s un-flashy, but it’s articulate, still. This time, though, I feel Piotr’s given the 7U a bit more mid-treble. Transients have more of a bite - an edge - to them, while the OG comes across softer (or more diffuse) by comparison. I find it aids the in-ear’s clarity, separation and cut quite a bit. But, whether or not the change speaks to you depends on how you like your highs. Without comparing to the OG, I’d say it straddles neutral, while the OG 7’s softer mid-treble tilted natural at times. And, further up, I feel the 7U has the slightest bit more upper-treble extension too. It could be the relaxed high-mids making those frequencies seem proportionally more present, but there’s a greater emphasis on air here for sure. There’s just a crisper, sharper, more focused sound that I’m sure will please those who wanted more imaging precision out of the OG. As I did then, though, and as I described above, there’s still that slight bottleneck in dynamic range to my ears. Notes can’t grow and roar as much as they can on much, much pricier in-ears. Still, I think the 7U’s got a great reinterpretation of the OG 7’s treble, with notable boosts to technique to boot.

So, those are my first-week impressions of Custom Art’s new 7U. If you guys have been here long enough to remember the Empire Ears Zeus-XR, one could see this as the Zeus-R to the FIBAE 7’s Zeus-XIV; stronger and more physical down low, much tighter (more neutral) in the midrange, and airier up high. And, on its own, it’s a really cozy, always-pleasant all-rounder with a beautifully linear, uniform tone, and stronger imaging, resolution and end-to-end extension than one might expect at its price point. The only quality short of summit-fi status for me is dynamic depth or headroom. Otherwise, it’s yet another bang-for-buck winner from Custom Art that takes the brand’s house sound to its tidiest, most refined and most technically-capable yet.

CA-F7U-HF-S-1.jpg

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #2,117 of 2,468
Hey, everyone! Earlier this week, I was graced with the arrival of my FIBAE 7U review unit, which I've been listening to and comparing the OG 7 against ever since. I've compiled my initial impressions (along with a few glamour shots) down below, and I hope you all enjoy the read. Cheers! :)

CA-F7U-HF-S-2.jpg

Obviously a successor (or variant, if you like) of their flagship FIBAE 7, the 7U was tuned with consumer feedback in mind. This meant alterations made to the low-end, upper-midrange and mid-treble, and that’s exactly what you’ll find here. Compared to the OG, which I’ve described as forward, intimate and - at times - intense, the 7U steps back for a more far-field feel with neutrally-sized, neutrally-positioned instruments, as well as a more even balance across its frequency range. I’m getting just barely more lead instrument than kick drum on the vast majority of tracks I’ve listened to, and now they’re tighter - more compact - in size and shape as well; more studio than jazz café. This is a monitor that’s more macro than micro, meaning it encourages you to take in a track or soundscape as a whole, rather than zero-in on specific instruments, which the OG would push you to do. While I described the 7 as a photo with a vignette and saturation, the 7U is almost one taken with a wide-angle lens, which results in a tidier, more relaxed, more just-there IEM overall.

Technically, the 7U gains from both its tuning shift, as well as the refinements Piotr was able to coax out of its electronics. Pulling back the OG’s upper-midrange peak allows a broader view of the track you’re listening to, so you’re able to ‘see’ more of it at once. You do lose the ability to zoom-in on the lead instrument a tad, but it’s a small trade-off. Then, the 7U’s crisper mid-treble sharpens up its layering and separation, which - followed by stronger treble extension - cleans/tightens up its attack, adds a bit of air and boosts stereo spread; left-right separation. All the while, the OG’s seamless, uniform timbre and speed has been kept intact. For me, the only department where the 7U hasn’t drastically improved over its predecessor is dynamic range. When tracks go big and roar, you can almost hear it hit a ceiling on both in-ears. The 7U can’t quite achieve the massive, sweeping contrasts - those huge dynamic swings - that the summit-fi of in-ears (typically priced in excess of $3000) are capable of. And, clearly, those cons would only apply to those already used to those sorts of IEMs. Otherwise, to my ears, the 7U is an admirable show of growth from the OG in expansion and precision.

CA-F7U-HF-S-4.jpg

The bottom-end on the 7U has a meatier thump to it. It’s more rounded and distinct than the foundational, blended-in bass the OG 7 had. Kick drums strike forward, and, again, they’re almost at equal footing with the lead instrument. So, you’ll get a ton more oomph on electronica or hip/hop, but - combined with the 7U’s more neutral high-mids - at the cost of the OG’s strong vocal focus. In texture and definition, you’ll definitely get your money’s worth here. It’s not gonna edge out a DD, and it’s just on the precipice of the almost-DD tier that, say, the A12t and (more recently) the Sharona reside in. But, it has great character and detail among its peers for sure, especially because of its stronger sub-bass and extended treble. The former gives it a physical, chesty rumble that I felt the OG lacked, and the latter carves out lots more space around bass notes, so they’re given the license to shine. If you’re coming from the 7, the 7U will surely deliver a whole other tier of bass performance, as long as you, again, don’t mind the spotlight it’ll take from the midrange in the process.

The 7U’s midrange sits very comfortably in that neutral-reference zone, where its presence really depends on the track. It isn’t nearly as upfront as it is on the OG, so you won’t get that whisper-in-your-ear sort of sound on the 7U. Again, this is very comparable to the difference between near-field and far-field monitors; micro vs. macro. If you want your vocals to sit in the mix and lay back, the 7U’s presentation is favorable. Whereas, the OG is stronger if you want leads to really take centre-stage. Vocal timbre, as always with Custom Art, is clean with a slight sway. Textures and nuances are well-shown, and it’s similar to the OG in that they aren’t bathed in mid- or upper-bass warmth. But, there’s still an organic, lush quality to them. And, on the 7U, there’s clearly a more even balance between body and articulation (or attack, or projection, or shoutiness) to my ears than the OG. Vocals and horn sections may not be as vibrant, big or go-for-broke as they are on the latter; not as theatrical. But, again, the gains are in overall stage organization, instrument definition and stereo spread.

CA-F7U-HF-S-3.jpg

Up high, the 7U isn’t far off the OG. It coasts smooth, it’s un-flashy, but it’s articulate, still. This time, though, I feel Piotr’s given the 7U a bit more mid-treble. Transients have more of a bite - an edge - to them, while the OG comes across softer (or more diffuse) by comparison. I find it aids the in-ear’s clarity, separation and cut quite a bit. But, whether or not the change speaks to you depends on how you like your highs. Without comparing to the OG, I’d say it straddles neutral, while the OG 7’s softer mid-treble tilted natural at times. And, further up, I feel the 7U has the slightest bit more upper-treble extension too. It could be the relaxed high-mids making those frequencies seem proportionally more present, but there’s a greater emphasis on air here for sure. There’s just a crisper, sharper, more focused sound that I’m sure will please those who wanted more imaging precision out of the OG. As I did then, though, and as I described above, there’s still that slight bottleneck in dynamic range to my ears. Notes can’t grow and roar as much as they can on much, much pricier in-ears. Still, I think the 7U’s got a great reinterpretation of the OG 7’s treble, with notable boosts to technique to boot.

So, those are my first-week impressions of Custom Art’s new 7U. If you guys have been here long enough to remember the Empire Ears Zeus-XR, one could see this as the Zeus-R to the FIBAE 7’s Zeus-XIV; stronger and more physical down low, much tighter (more neutral) in the midrange, and airier up high. And, on its own, it’s a really cozy, always-pleasant all-rounder with a beautifully linear, uniform tone, and stronger imaging, resolution and end-to-end extension than one might expect at its price point. The only quality short of summit-fi status for me is dynamic depth or headroom. Otherwise, it’s yet another bang-for-buck winner from Custom Art that takes the brand’s house sound to its tidiest, most refined and most technically-capable yet.

CA-F7U-HF-S-1.jpg
Thank you for your review Daniel!

Jul 25, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #2,118 of 2,468
I only have one thing to say and I will let the photos speak for themselves and for the 7U. Stunning, as usual Piotr and Team, you outdid yourselves. I tried to take photos to capture the beauty, each time I took one and moved the IEM's the tone, shades and colors changed. This is why so many photos are attached, each one is slightly unique.
20220725_191823~3.jpg20220725_192225~2.jpg20220725_191718.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #2,119 of 2,468
I only have one thing to say and I will let the photos speak for themselves and for the 7U.. Stunning, as usual Piotr and Team, you out did yourselves. I tried to take a photos to capture the beauty, each time I took one and moved them the tones changed. This so many photos attached.
Amazing!!!!
I hope you’ll enjoy it a lot as me🥳

Jul 26, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #2,120 of 2,468
I only have one thing to say and I will let the photos speak for themselves and for the 7U. Stunning, as usual Piotr and Team, you outdid yourselves. I tried to take photos to capture the beauty, each time I took one and moved the IEM's the tone, shades and colors changed. This is why so many photos are attached, each one is slightly unique.
Thanks for posting! I'm glad you like it and I'm glad we went the other way with the design than my initial idea. \
Indeed the effect is impossible to capture with pictures due to titanium nanopowder which changes color depending on the angle

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #2,121 of 2,468
I knew I couldn't capture the effect of the Titanium Nanopowder in the original photos. These are one of the most difficult IEMs I have owned to capture the beauty in photographs.

I am posting some photos I took today outside... It is better but still not there..

20220730_114901~2.jpg20220730_115045~2.jpg20220730_115231.jpg

Unboxing photo
20220725_191904~2.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #2,123 of 2,468
Aug 9, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #2,124 of 2,468
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #2,126 of 2,468
From memory as I had the Volt a while back now, I don't recall the Volt to sound as natural or coherent as the F7U. I sold the Volt on pretty quickly as it didn't sit well with me, just sounded too disjointed.
Same experience here, Volt has softer bass more oriented on midbass, mids are darker and lacks transparency, and highs aren’t airy and resolving as Fibae7U,
F7U is a neutral tuning, incredible good for acoustic music, classic and electronic also.
I sold Volt and I don’t miss it

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #2,127 of 2,468
I’m listening right now F7U with RS6 and Hiby music, this combo makes me crazy🤩

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #2,129 of 2,468
I really like it with N6ii Ti R01, ladder dap also, but marriage with RS6 is incredible good.
Sometimes worth have more sources, I’m going to bout 4th dap soon 🤪

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #2,130 of 2,468
I have been working on throwing together a review of the F7U. I have a couple of other reviews I am working on as well.

Piotr, excellent job! The sound quality checks many of my boxes and I love the balanced tuning. The fit is the best I have had throughout the FIBAE series. I put them in my ears and forget them. These are an IEM that you can put in your ears and just settle in. The comfort and balanced sound lend for long listening sessions. The added body and natural tonality are a next level in the FIBAE line. I enjoyed the F7 as well, but this is a wonderful tuning. I can't tell you the number of times I have sat in my listening recliner and drifted off. Enjoying my experience. I will dig into the technicalities in my review. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back