CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
May 25, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,066 of 2,466
I'd recommend e-mailing Custom Art directly. That way, both Piotr and his colleagues can read, reply to and catalog your requests. They're probably the most responsive CIEM company in the industry (as long as you message them according to their time zone :D), so I'm sure you'll have no worries.

Sounds good, I'll shoot an email to Piotr and his team then!
About to head to e-earphone now, will see how they take the impressions and send the photos.
Thanks!

May 25, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #1,067 of 2,466
Im contemplating getting the ME on massdrop, but there's not much reviews on it and I can't demo it either.
Hearing as its bass heavy, how does it compare to the 1964 U8 if anyone has both?
Also does the bass bleed into the mids?
Are the mids lush and full?
Is the treble bright? I don't really like overly bright treble, I tried the famed campfire audio andromeda that everyone seems to love and it sounded too bright to me.
How is the soundstage and separation like?

Sorry for the excessive questions but considering its $800, I want to make sure I won't regret it.

May 26, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #1,068 of 2,466
Im contemplating getting the ME on massdrop, but there's not much reviews on it and I can't demo it either.
Hearing as its bass heavy, how does it compare to the 1964 U8 if anyone has both?
Is the treble bright? I don't really like overly bright treble, I tried the famed campfire audio andromeda that everyone seems to love and it sounded too bright to me.

Sorry for the excessive questions but considering its $800, I want to make sure I won't regret it.

I can compare it to the U12, from memory.

Their sound has more similarities than disparities.

Both are very warm and smooth, with full, lush mids.
ME has more bass, yet more clarity also. This is probably because it has a little more treble than U12. But don't get scared, ME's treble is still more like U12 than any other IEM I've heard. It's very warm and soothing. Not bright in any way shape or form. You will not find it irritating. No possible way.

May 26, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #1,069 of 2,466
I can compare it to the U12, from memory.

Their sound has more similarities than disparities.

Both are very warm and smooth, with full, lush mids.
ME has more bass, yet more clarity also. This is probably because it has a little more treble than U12. But don't get scared, ME's treble is still more like U12 than any other IEM I've heard. It's very warm and soothing. Not bright in any way shape or form. You will not find it irritating. No possible way.

Thank you for your input. Though I have not heard the U12 so I would not know how different is it from the U8.
Glad to know its not bright and its warm sounding. Im definitely considering this.However, someone replied on the massdrop thread that these sound muddy? It doesn't seem to be so based on the replies here, granted he was comparing it to the K10 but does these have any hint of muddiness to them?

May 26, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #1,070 of 2,466

Based on memory, the ME is a touch warmer than the U8, but has better treble extension. So, the U8 has relatively greater sparkle, but the ME has the more stable stage and the more precise image. The U8’s low-end is looser, while the ME’s has more texture, resolution and a more natural decay. But, they’re not far off in quantity. IIRC, the ME has a more lush and natural midrange, but I can certainly say that the bass does not bleed. All it does is add a touch of body and warmth. Like I said previously, the U8 has more treble energy (especially upper-treble sparkle), while the ME is more relaxed. But, the ME - again - has the more linear and extended treble which gives it a blacker background, better left-right separation and a more solid stage.

May 26, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #1,071 of 2,466
Thank you for your input. Though I have not heard the U12 so I would not know how different is it from the U8.
Glad to know its not bright and its warm sounding. Im definitely considering this.However, someone replied on the massdrop thread that these sound muddy? It doesn't seem to be so based on the replies here, granted he was comparing it to the K10 but does these have any hint of muddiness to them?
Couldn't have said it better than Pinky.
Don't expect ANY brightness or big spikes.
Muddy ? Probably someone who doesn't like big bass and is used to more airy signatures, which is the exact opposite of Fibae ME.

These have more bass than K10u, and smoother treble, but that doesn't make them muddy. Reading on MD that K10u are neutral and airy made me cringe, but it's really where you decide to put the reference. To me, K10u are still a bit warm with significant bass, nothing really airy or neutral, which is why I like K10u as well.

May 26, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #1,072 of 2,466
Based on memory, the ME is a touch warmer than the U8, but has better treble extension. So, the U8 has relatively greater sparkle, but the ME has the more stable stage and the more precise image. The U8’s low-end is looser, while the ME’s has more texture, resolution and a more natural decay. But, they’re not far off in quantity. IIRC, the ME has a more lush and natural midrange, but I can certainly say that the bass does not bleed. All it does is add a touch of body and warmth. Like I said previously, the U8 has more treble energy (especially upper-treble sparkle), while the ME is more relaxed. But, the ME - again - has the more linear and extended treble which gives it a blacker background, better left-right separation and a more solid stage.

More lush and natural midrange, as well as better separation sounds right up my alley! So would you say it sounds more exciting?
Have jumped in for a pair, hopefully it reaches the minimum of purchases so the drop will be successful

Couldn't have said it better than Pinky.
Don't expect ANY brightness or big spikes.
Muddy ? Probably someone who doesn't like big bass and is used to more airy signatures, which is the exact opposite of Fibae ME.

These have more bass than K10u, and smoother treble, but that doesn't make them muddy. Reading on MD that K10u are neutral and airy made me cringe, but it's really where you decide to put the reference. To me, K10u are still a bit warm with significant bass, nothing really airy or neutral, which is why I like K10u as well.

Sweet, thanks for the input. Between the K10 and the ME, which do you like better?

May 26, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #1,073 of 2,466
Sweet, thanks for the input. Between the K10 and the ME, which do you like better?
Right now, Fibae ME but these are the last pair I got, so it's still novelty wonderland. Hence my ultra-short review, because I need more time to do more detailed comparisons and spot the tiny weaknesses.
I had sold my AK T8iE and my Rose Cappuccinos MK2 crapped out, so I was missing the big bass canon.

K10u are a bit closer to Fidue Sirius, no bass canon, but solid bass nevertheless.
What I appreciate less with K10u is their size, they are REALLY big and produte from all ears, although they're still lightweight. Sirius are heavier but fit so well that I tend to forget them. So do the Fibae ME universal.

May 26, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #1,074 of 2,466
@piotrus-g If I order a Fibae Massdrop Edition through Massdrop is there any way I can pay extra to you afterwards and get one of the fancy custom designs like the nebula?
Saw your email and will reply shortly. You can request any design, especially since all design options are included in price for ME!
Alright, so I still haven't made my first CIEM purchase, despite posting on this page that I would like a year ago. That said, I'm still planning on it, and now I see that the FIBAE massdrop is out.

I went to e-earphone last year, tried out the music one, music two, and ei.3 I thought I was going to love the ei.3, but it ended up being my least favorite. I LOVED the music two. Music one was nice, but two was just awesome. I use some shure SE215's now and have loved them for years, but I liked the solid upgrade the music two's provided over these.

Now I'm looking at the FIBAE line...was really thinking FIBAE2, but that was before the 3 and the massdrop came out. Now I'm leaning towards the 3 it seems, as those highs seem like they could be good.

I'm having trouble finding a lot of info on the massdrop edition. I'm curious as to how the numbers would score on the quantity/quality graphs that are on all of the products on the customart website. Seems like those are more for bassheads?

Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of the "IEM sticking out of your ears" look that I saw with the big 8 driver offerings from some other vendors (I tried the 1964 ears ones at e-earphone). How big are the massdrop IEMs? Do they look flush-ish? Any other opinions?
Final size of the CIEM will depend on your ear. The UIEM version is marginally bigger than posted here universal 8.2 but still similar shape/size
FIBAE3 will be opposite of SE215, FIBAE ME will be similar type of signature to 215s but overall huge improvement over those.

Sorry for delay in replies I'm away for the weekend and I'm just checking interwebs for the first time in 24h

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #1,075 of 2,466

The K10 is bright up top. Anyone accustomed to bright, sharp highs will feel IEMs like U8, U12, and ME are muddy. At least until they adjust to the new sound.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #1,076 of 2,466
Just a little hint :) I still own original Ei.XX. On Linum Bax cable, they sounded dark, very dark with a nice, but overally not very present highs and dense mids. I've owned a custom made hybrid cable (4 cores of solid core silver and 4 cores of copper with almost 0 impedance). WHAT A CHANGE! The sound opened up, the highs became even clearer and WAY more present, bass became harder and cleaner and mids also became cleaner and not so dark. Overall smooth signatur retained but they've jumped on a whole new level and now, on balanced with DX150? Dear gods... *__* I love them and before I listened to them with DX150 on BO I considered upgrade to either FIBAE ME or Harmony 8.2. Not anymore.

P.S. The upgrade will come eventually, but not sooner than in 1/2 years. They are way too good for now :D
P.S.2. Piotr is amongst the most polite and friendly person in audio-world I've had pleasure to both meet in person and talk over the phone since I've stepped inside this audiophile sandbox :D

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #1,077 of 2,466

Just to clarify, the ME is not nearly as bright as the Andro. It does have some lower-treble emphasis to my ear, but it's not spiked and it's nicely linear above that, where the Andro has a fair upper-treble emphasis in addition. Mids are indeed full and lush, and this is partially as a result of bass colouring mids, but never does it overshadow them.

May 27, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #1,078 of 2,466
Well as posted earlier had my fibae 2's back for about a week. Not really had time to play with them (work as usual being annoying :p, normally I would get left alone for around 5-6 hours of the day but not this week :frowning2: ). Did get some time last night and figured out what's going on (I think). With the new molds from a different audiologist I now get a decent lock in under the top part of the ears, but the seal breaks easily, particularly the right, so I end up pressing them in further to get the bass back which results in them becoming uncomfortable. The fit when I get them in right is comfortable though so I think it should be a fairly straightforward fix. Made the mistake of listening to a few concerts on youtube last night before going to bed with the fibaes. Found one with swedish hard rock/aor band W.E.T and very enjoyable it was too. Before I knew it an hour had passed, which must be a good sign.

Cheers.

May 28, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #1,079 of 2,466
Hello,

I've received my "Galaxy" Fibae 2 and they are indeed beautiful. The seal is good and they are comfortable to wear.

Sound wise though, paired with the Cayin n5II (3.5 balanced), the sounds seems a bit more distant, but also more detailed, especially in the highs compared to my Dunu-DN2000 which are more "in your face".
I was kind of expecting a "wow effect" but it is not here. Yet ?

I'll keep listening and make more comparisons.

May 28, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #1,080 of 2,466
Hello,

I've received my "Galaxy" Fibae 2 and they are indeed beautiful. The seal is good and they are comfortable to wear.

Sound wise though, paired with the Cayin n5II (3.5 balanced), the sounds seems a bit more distant, but also more detailed, especially in the highs compared to my Dunu-DN2000 which are more "in your face".
I was kind of expecting a "wow effect" but it is not here. Yet ?

I'll keep listening and make more comparisons.

A wow effect usually comes from an immensely sparkly treble (which creates a dazzing sense of air, openness and clarity) or from an energetic bass response (which thumps away satisfyingly). However, more often than not, that wow effect fades over time and instead causes fatigue due to the large onset of energy. You’ll most likely find yourself pumping up the volume in an attempt to recreate that wow effect, but to no avail. The FIBAE 2 has tons of merits (in linearity, dynamic energy, midrange resolution, left-right separation, etc.) and the fact that you already notice more detail despite the calmer treble is a good thing. Give it some further listening and discover its gems; I’m sure you’ll start appreciating it more and more in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back