Custom Sleeves for Westone UM3x
Oct 25, 2010 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jolly Bodger

Head-Fier
Decided to treat myself to some custom sleeves for my Westone UM3x. Had a look at the ACS site and noted that the Westones are not listed so I e-mailed them and apparrently they only do the iems listed.

Any suggestions?

JB

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 10
You could go with the UM56 made by westone themselves, but honestly, that is more expensive than going the full custom route i.e. - remolding by inearz. I was told that UM56 go for around 150+audiologist visit, while the remolding process is 100 + audiologist visit. I am currently waiting on my twag cable to come in before I send my UM3X's off to inearz for remolding.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Decided to treat myself to some custom sleeves for my Westone UM3x. Had a look at the ACS site and noted that the Westones are not listed so I e-mailed them and apparrently they only do the iems listed.

Any suggestions?

JB

That's really weird!!!  They used to do sleeves for Westone earphones (I've got a pair of ACS sleeves for the UM3x myself) so I don't know why they would stop doing them.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 10
They do the UM3's, and the UM3x's are identical looking. Either way, my colleague at work had his moulds taken last week for his ACS custom tips for his Westone UM3's. If in doubt, call them, they are very helpful.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 10
I think the poster above means they do UM2 which are identical to UM3x. When I got sleeves made for my UM3x I asked them to make them for the UM2 because the UM3x wasn't listed on their site.

The strange thing is that they no longer list any Westone earphones on their site. I've emailed them to ask why. They also used to say that they could make sleeves for any earphone (but you had to send your earphones to them if it was somethng they hadn't done before so that they could make a rig) but they seem to have removed that text from the site.

I know that there were one of two people who had trouble with ACS custom sleeves sliding off the nozzle of the UM3x and Westone 3. I don't have that problem myself. As long as they're kept clean they stay on.

I hope ACS haven't been put off of making Westone sleeves because of one or two people making a fuss.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 10
I contacted ACS to find out why they stopped customising the Westones - thought you might be interested in the response:

"Hi Brian,

The reason why we have discontinued a few ranges of the headphones is due to customer complaints and fit issues, although they work very well for you, its hard to try and get the sleeves right on the Westone models.
The have a straight tip which make the sleeves hard to stay on, the modular itself sits at a strange position in the ear and can be very hard to mould off and as it is a big modular monitors its also hard to get the silicon to shape around it.

So due to time and cost of remake we have chosen to discontinue all Westone range.

I hope this information helps with your understanding on why we have done this, if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind Regards
Stacey Shaw
Customer Service Agent
ACS Ltd"

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, I got the same response when I emailed them.

It's a shame they've stopped doing them. I've got two pairs of ACS sleeves, one for my UM3x and one for my IE8. The sleeves for my IE8 are good but the sleeves for the UM3x are much better.

A few people who've had problems with their sleeves have cocked things up for anyone else that wanted some.

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 10
Are you guys in the USA? I only ask as my friend had his done literally 1 week ago, and they called him to check details and are happy to make them for his UM3x's. We are from the UK BTW.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 10
No, I'm in the UK as well. I got the same email from ACS yesterday saying that they no longer made sleeves for Westone earphones but maybe they're flexible if you phone them. Their email did say they still had the UM2/3x jig.

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi Soundmangt4 - has your friend got them back yet? What does he think of them? Good fit? Sound Quality etc?

I'm now unsure whether to contact ACS and try and press them to do mine but if your friend is happy with them I might take the risk.

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back