Custom Remold or New IEMS?
Nov 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jzbass25

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, awhile back I bought some klipsch custom 3's for about 80 bucks and I have been pretty happy since; however, my cable on it has a short (normal problem for the custom 3).

Now I am trying to decide if I should go to inearz (they're only a small drive away) and get my custom 3 drivers put into some custom earmolds or just buy a new iem, Im also looking at full size headphones as another option but I would prefer to have the portability. The custom earmolds would be around $130ish so my budget on new headphones is $150. I mostly listen to music with my headphones but I am sort of wanting to have headphones that will work for mixing music as well. For background info I listen/play rock, prog metal, jazz, jazz fusion, etc.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 17
I could probably get some triple fi 10's near my budget it seems, at least from the prices I've been seeing recently. But would it be better than the custom 3 drivers in custom molds?

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 17
I got my TF10 custom done for about $260 altogether..$99 for the TF10, $40 for impressions, $30 for cable, and $90 for remold from InEarz

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 17
If you do a search through one of the fisher (in earz) you'll find a couple of people had their 3's redone by them.

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 17
TF10 is on my list then I believe, if I can get them sub $200 would you guys recommend it, the normal price is $400 right? I'm guessing yes but just to double check haha. Then down the road get some custom molds for them. Im crossing my fingers for another $99 sale around christmas time.

Thanks for all the input so far guys

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 17
I answered my own question with a little research as sub 200 being a good price, it is =P. Now that my purchase should be soon I am coming up with some more questions. Would you recommend saving my pennies and getting something else, I think I can get a tf10 for around $150 if not lower btw. I am looking at maybe an IE8/80 or even custom iems like 1964 or cleartune customs; however, I am sort of getting the urge to get a new guitar pickup and that would take some cash =P . I'm even thinking about maybe getting some good iems with some fun and energy and then getting some fullsize headphones for mixing, but a mixture of both worlds is desired.

Also I'd prefer to have a headphone that doesn't need an amp but I have a pretty nice cmoy amp but nothing very expensive. Just I hardly carry it around anymore since my klipsch broke.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 17
only buy the TF10 for sub $150 right now cause $200 is pretty much a normal price on amazon. I think if you can afford it go with the real customs (I heard it cures upgraditis for a few months at least 
biggrin.gif
) although I doubt they will sound 2X (price is 2X as much) as good as custom TF10.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 17
I'd get the TF10's before I'd ever think about re-shelling the Klipsch Custom 3's, the TF10's just sound much better than the 3's so to me that would be a waste of money.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 17
Lots of tf10 love I see haha, My second thoughs really arise from the talk of recessed mids, I listen to a lot of solo guitarists and most of them prefer some boosted mids in their solo tone (scooped in rhythm usually) and I wasn't sure if it would have a bad effect on the tracks. Also does burn-in cause the mids to come out more, I know I saw at least one person say the high end became a little bit sweeter after burn-in.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 17
TF10 have BA drivers no burn-in. But I think the mids are not as bad as people make it out to be, now the fit and cable that is as bad as people make them out to be but the sound is so awesome I dont care how bad they fit.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 17
I have done it... I will certainly not do it again. They sent me back to get ears impression twice. They remolded my TF10 about 6 or 7 times. Even after that, the fit was just "ok" and the sound was not equal on each side but I gave up sending them back again. The bass sounded much better before.

They also broke my Luna silver cable when they plugged it in and they sent it to me like that. The plastic started cracking around the connectors after just a few weeks. Now, I year latter, there is corrosion in the connector on one side, I have no bass anymore on the other side...

They are just on the edge of my garbage bin.

I loved the TF10 as they were... I shouldn't have taken that risk.

I am now looking to buy another set of TF10 that will remain a TF10 this time.

I thought that at around 100$ this was cool... At the end it has cost me over 400$ (with the 200$ TF10 and many shipping) and I have nothing left.

Don't lose you money on this...

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 17
Who did the impressions and remold? I'm sure someone like JH audio wouldn't mess up too often and whenever I decide to get a CIEM I'll be sure to get an audiologist to do the impression since I don't trust myself in doing anything haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back