Custom plexiglass headphone stand - what do you think?
Apr 18, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 45
excellent work! do you think you could round/smooth the edges in contact with the headphone more? just worried about that headband!

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #17 of 45
dammit i'm having trouble finding plexiglass locally for the front pannels of my equipment, and yo just find yours lying in the garage.
mad.gif

I have about 3 projects here with fully completed cases but no front pannels yet
rolleyes.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #18 of 45
oh man thats too sweet

**hook up some leds to the bottum of the stand pointing up and light it up. itd look amazing in the dark
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #20 of 45
Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies and comments. To address some of your replies... I came back to school and brought with me 4-5 sheets of varying grades of sandpaper. I intend to eventually make the edges smooth where the headphones sit. I think the width of the seat is about right, as it fits just between the gap in the padding of my HD650s. Though it does leave a slight impression in the foam after sitting there for awhile. I'll address that sometime when I have a few mins to spare.

As for using a blowtorch, I do have one at home so I might try playing around with that on some scrap pieces leftover from this project. Sounds like it would work, but I dont want to take any chances with this, I'm worried enough about scratching it as it is. Anyway, as far as the material I used, I actually picked this up from my high school shop teacher, he was just going to throw it out.. turned out to be a good deal, because I found a 1" thick, 12x12 square sheet of acrylic on www.mcmaster.com for about $45.

Over the summer, once I have refilled my savings I think Im gonna get the micro dac to add to my micro amp. Once I have those I think I'll build a relatively small housing to sit the amps in. And then on the top of the housing I'll use a router to make a recessed cross into which I can sit this stand. Maybe then I'll implement some LEDs, at the moment I'm not sure I could cleanly put them anywhere.

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

-Chris

Apr 20, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #24 of 45
haha, thanks... im still recovering from my first round of purchases. i managed to stay away from headfi for maybe a week or two afterwards and well, it didnt last. all is not lost, just time and money. but, the time is worth it and you can always make more money, so why not...

Sep 27, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #25 of 45
This has been finished for a couple months now, but I've been so busy with school that I just now got around to taking pictures of the final product. I won't waste too much time talking about it, as I hope the pictures will speak for themselves. I'm still not 100% satisfied with it, as the paint didn't turn out well in a couple of spots. But on the whole, I think it's pretty nice to look at, which was the end goal. Everyone I've shown it to in person has pretty much said 'that's completely unnecessary.' And I can't really argue with them, but sometimes it's nice just to make something out of nothing because you know you can.

Let me know what you think,

Chris
600smile.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #26 of 45
totally awesome, nice finish!
i do not think that it is uneccesary, its tidy, looks cool, and im sure gives a great sense of satisfaction to look at.

Sep 27, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #30 of 45
awesome! over the top and then some!

kinda reminds me of darth vader in his chamber/throne room thingy
600smile.gif
those 650s look wicked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back