Custom plexiglass headphone stand - what do you think?
Apr 18, 2006 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Chris4891

New Head-Fier
This is actually my first post, though I've been browsing/spending $$ for a little bit now. I figured it was about time my hd650's had something a little bit nicer to sit on than the banana holder I had been using. When I was searching through my garage for some building materials this past weekend I came across this 1" thick piece of plexiglass I had picked up a couple years back. I quickly drew some sketches on the paper backing and when I had a design that looked cool I got the jigsaw out and started cutting. Took a little while to get used to cutting plexiglass vs mdf/wood. You dont really have to worry about wood melting. I'd say the whole thing took the better part of an afternoon as the process of cutting with a jigsaw was a bit slow.

This is roughly the size of plexi that i started with..

Just finished the rough cutting of the central piece..

Another view of the rough cut piece, here i have used the belt sander to smooth over the outside edge of the curve..

A view of the central piece upright..

Initially i rough cut the notch into the bottom here with the jigsaw and proceeded to file until i had a good fit. Unfortunately it takes a lot longer to file through plexi than wood..

Notch in the bottom piece..

Assembly, prior to removing the paper backing..

Between this and the previous picture, I did a lot of hand sanding to smooth out the curved areas. My initial plan was to hand sand the cut faces up to about 2000 grit, then use rubbing compound/polish and a buffing wheel with the intent of making the entire stand transparent. But as it stands now, I like the contrast that the cut faces provide, so I'm not sure I'll bother with that exhaustive sanding process. But here it is...

And here it is supporting my recently purchased HD650's.

Another view..

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Initially I was going to try making something out of fiberglass and finishing it off with a nice coat of paint. But, I wanted to finish this over the weekend and that whole process would have taken a bit longer. Over this past summer I began fooling around with fiberglass fabrication and ultimately made a gauge pod for my friends volkswagen r32.. you can check out some of the pics of that process here. If anyone comes up with some cool 3d headphone stand designs, I might be able to get back to the fiberglassing over the summer, so let me know.

Later,
Chris

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 45
Wow!!

I was just thinking " This guy MUST be a car audio nut..." as I was scrolling through your pics.

Nice job,
Garrett

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 45
Wow... Hot... I LOVE acrylic stuff.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 45
Very nice! Much better looking than most of the DIY stands I've seen.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 45
Very nice, looks professional.

I wonder how well it would work for bananas?
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back