Custom molds with silicon tubing
Nov 30, 2010 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

marquimsp

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Have any of you seen this kind of arrangement? You buy universal IEMs, get custom molds made with a silicon tube that goes through them and plug your universals (assuming they have a nozzle) to the other end of the tube.
Something like this picture:

I would really appreciate a knowledgeable critique of this contraption, any acoustics experts around?

Thanks in advance!

Marco

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 5
really interesting concept, although i can't help but think how dorky one would look in public lol

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Those are custom ear mold for hearing aid. The tube generally has pretty poor acoustic property for music because of the material and the length in which the sound wave need to travel. This isn't a problem for the hearing aid user since they are more concerned about getting the mid out (where the vocal range lies) rather than bass or treble.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 5
LOL Murmaider, indeed very dorky... But hey! iems ARE dorky! At least nerdy, wouldn't you agree?
Thanks ClieOS, I imagined it wouldn't sound right... Any phasing issues regarding tube shape, curves, length? Sorry, I'm curious...

Thanks again!

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, if you take out the tube and find a IEM that fit right into the silicone mold, it will just function as custom eartips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back