Custom In-Ear Monitors: Audiologists and Brands
Dec 6, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #16 of 26
If its an IEM you're looking for, Shure 535 SE is quite sexy in red (if you can afford the SE version).

For a beautiful on-ear, check out the Audio Technica ES10.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #18 of 26
One of the key things for a 14 year old is to not damage your hearing.

Imagine trying to listen to music and just not hearing everything, not being able to fully enjoy it because you were a dumbass.

Also, as a general rule girls are not impressed by earphones. So, "it's gotta look good, I've just hit puberty" is silly.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #19 of 26
Honestly for IEMs no one is going to be looking into your ears to see what you have on, unless you get something like a Westone or a Shure. If you want something flashy for people to see you might want to go with on-ears, like the V-MODA M80, or the above reccomended ATH-ES10, or my favorite of the bunch but might not be to your liking the Adidas Edition HD25-1 II.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 26
Hmm...I should have rephrased what I want in terms of looks...
I don't want them to be flashy-I don't need some other kid stealing them

I looked at some other options above, and I really think the Shure 535s would be great. What do you think the biggest con from running these unamped would be?

As for the Audio Technica ES10s, I have already heard a pair (Best closed and kinda portable headphones I've heard...so far) and will pick up a pair next time I'm in Japan.

Just some headphone background-I started with a pair of Beats Pros, then heard a pair of AT W5000s at my grandpa's, and thought, "****. These are good. I need a pair of these!" I asked if I could buy a pair but I was told I have to work my way up; I wouldn't appreciate the sound if I just jumped in at the top. (According to grandpa) So now I have a pair of AKG K702s, Beats Pros, a Fiio E11, and B&W C5s...and I'm willing to graduate from a C5 to (most likely) Shure SE 535s.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #21 of 26
In case anyone is wondering why I'm posting at 10:00 AM on a schoolday, it's because I'm sick at home

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #22 of 26
Maybe you could get the clear ones?  That would attract less attention

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 26
Again, Etymotic ER-4 not flashy in anyway but great sound unless you need aload of bass. On top of that they are universals with good protection for hearing (-31db I believe?) which is important at your age(or any age for that matter). SE535's are also a great choice though.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #24 of 26
After reading this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/540654/etymotic-er4-p-or-s-model-vs-shure-se535
I believe I have made my decision. I just ordered a pair of Shure SE 535s and expect them to be here soonish. Thank you to everyone who posted, especially those who confirmed my suspicions that I was too young to get custom IEMs.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #25 of 26

Quote:
I believe I have made my decision. I just ordered a pair of Shure SE 535s and expect them to be here soonish. Thank you to everyone who posted, especially those who confirmed my suspicions that I was too young to get custom IEMs.

Do enjoy!

Also, please post impressions on all your headphones. How would you compare the ES10 to Beats Pro? Today, I tried to demo a Beats Pro, but none were available at my local Apple store heh.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #26 of 26

Quote:

It's a good choice, I jumped straight from something really cheap, can't remember if it was Apple buds or something from a drug mart, anyways, I jumped from those to a pair of Shure E4gs. I'm Shure you'll enjoy your Shures as much as I did probably based on the ones you got. I've been hooked ever since. So many different sounds to choose from. My E4gs were quite flat and crystal highs from what I remember (cable failed), my IE8s are really awesome, who knew a soundstage could be so wide? Then my recent TF10s, who knew treble and female vocals could sparkle like that and remain oh so smooth? Enjoy the ride bro! 

Question to the others, is 18 too young as well? Still not sure if I want to go custom TF10s or not, or any custom for that matter. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back