Custom IEMs Chinese market - There is an explosion in the Chinese market for custom IEMs!!!
Jun 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #46 of 113

Quote:
How much you have to spend on postage of impressions for a reasonably fast courier service to mainland China, incl. eventual customs clearance? I am not sure for how long the impressions stay in shape. In an ideal case, a local sales representative does a 3D scan, rather sending impressions by mail or courier. All that could kill the cost advantage of manufacture in China. 

You raise some interesting points on the issue of cost, but I have to respectfully disagree with your concern about costs and specifically your point about whether impressions maintain their shape for a long enough period of time. That is no problem. As for doing a 3D scan, really? You would do that rather than impressions? Not sure of the logic on that one.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #47 of 113
Perhaps you misunderstood. I did not propose direct 3D scans of ear canals. I know that German distributers of Westone and Ultimate Ears IEMs do, or at least did 2-3 years ago, 3D scans of the impressions, to then send the data to US. Back then ordering custom IEMs directly

I noticed that the fast international courier firms (UPS, TNT, DHL etc.) are expensive, in particular for "goods" that nominally require customs clearance. With custom IEMs you have to do postage both ways. And there is a certain probability that the custom shell may not fit correctly at the first try. Then you you have to do it again.

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #48 of 113
If you look at the UM appreciation thread you will read about the experiences of other head fires.

As for fit of course that is a risk in any situation, and up to the individual. If you don't want to order customs from China then don't do it. I just offer this up as an alternative to those that do, and to raise awareness about other companies besides JH, Westone etc.

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #49 of 113
Here's a taste of the kind of product coming from Rooth in China.

http://picasaweb.google.com/110374946783667587933/RoothPix#

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #50 of 113
A German mailorder shop for hearing aids, custom tips and custom IEMs recommends to send impressions within 2-3 days. Otherwise the may loose shape or shrink. I am no expert myself. I just quote their webshop.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #51 of 113

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #52 of 113
UPDATE as of 6.30.10 - Heard from my contact at High Fi Intl here in Japan. My customs did not make the last shipment of orders so not sure when they will arrive. Apparently Rooth is very busy.

Stay tuned.

In the meantime here's a taste of the kind of product coming from Rooth in China.

http://picasaweb.google.com/110374946783667587933/RoothPix#

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #53 of 113
For Rooth initial impressions please go to this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/492157/hfi-high-fi-international-appreciation-and-rooth-impressions-thread-new-online-company-in-japan/45#post_6766213

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #54 of 113
Wow, this is great!  I will definitely try a pair whenever my Freqs (now out of business) craps out on me.  Hopefully Rooth's business outlasts Freq!  It is great since I am currently in Hong Kong, and MingoHMW (a HK headphone shop I frequent) already has a pretty decent fan base for Rooth products.  This is great news!

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #55 of 113

Quote:
Wow, this is great!  I will definitely try a pair whenever my Freqs (now out of business) craps out on me.  Hopefully Rooth's business outlasts Freq!  It is great since I am currently in Hong Kong, and MingoHMW (a HK headphone shop I frequent) already has a pretty decent fan base for Rooth products.  This is great news!

I am happy to report that I am extremely pleased with their 8 driver custom and the reshelled JH13s I had done by Rooth. Check out my initial review on the other thread if you'd like.

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #56 of 113
Thanks will do!  May I ask why you had your JH13s reshelled by Rooth and not JH?

If you don't mind, how much did the LS8 set you back?  Are they the same as the CX8?  I've been trying to read up on mingohmw's forum, but my Chinese isn't the best, quite a slow process. :)

Thank you so much.

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #58 of 113

Quote:
Thanks will do!  May I ask why you had your JH13s reshelled by Rooth and not JH?

If you don't mind, how much did the LS8 set you back?  Are they the same as the CX8?  I've been trying to read up on mingohmw's forum, but my Chinese isn't the best, quite a slow process. :)

Thank you so much.

I bought the JH13s used and had them reshelled by Rooth because as Rawster said, JH does not do reshells.

As for the price by Rooth, I did not order directly through them due to my lack of ability in Chinese. I went through a Japanese company. The price for the LS8s were about $900 (USD). If you go to Taibo the Chinese site, you can see the pricing if you order directly through them, which I am sure is cheaper.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #59 of 113
I appreciate it Skoog, it is great to know there are a raising number of reputable Chinese made customs, now I don't have to worry about shipping it to the US at high cost, and worry about refits/additional shipping costs.

Hope you enjoy your customs!  I will probably go for a 4 or 6 driver custom, 8 is just too much cash for me!

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #60 of 113

Quote:
I appreciate it Skoog, it is great to know there are a raising number of reputable Chinese made customs, now I don't have to worry about shipping it to the US at high cost, and worry about refits/additional shipping costs.

Hope you enjoy your customs!  I will probably go for a 4 or 6 driver custom, 8 is just too much cash for me!

So far I am really enjoying the LS8s. The fit/seal is perfect, and discovering just how smooth and detailed the drivers are. I am realizing it is more than I could have ever hoped for, and do not regret spending as much as I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back