Custom IEMs Chinese market - There is an explosion in the Chinese market for custom IEMs!!!
May 30, 2010 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

skoog5600

500+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fiers!!!

Anyone interesting and willing to take some possible risks, it seems that there is an explosion of custom IEMs in China. According to some contacts I have made this has been going on for quite some time. I cannot speak from experience as to the quality and build, but from the photos and the reviews I have gleaned from translations from Chinese to English (using google) the builds and reviews are favorable. Not sure if they are on par with UE or JH, or perhaps they have even surpassed them. It seems that folks are quite happy with UM (Unique Melody) so it is quite possible there are a few companies out there that would be worth the risk. Oh and the price seems right!

One such example I have come across is a company called "Thousand Sounds" TS842 - http://bbs.erji.com/read.php?tid=520827
It is a hybrid IEM utilizing a moving coil. Anyway this is quite an interesting development two years in the  making according to the site and worth following if you are interested in cutting edge technology. Scroll down on that page and you can see exactly what they have done to get to that point. They have literally torn apart some UEs and JHs.

Here are a couple of other links worth looking at. By the way these links are in large part due to Haowai a fellow head fi'er - a big thanks to him!!!

Thousand Sound has the first hybird custom IEMs made by china
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4144720412

CX 8 by the original LS8 designer contains 2 ultra low, 2 low, 2 mid,and 2 highs
http://www.mingo-hmw.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=104460&extra=page%3D1

This is Rooth's thread http://bbs.erji.com/read.php?tid=553856 (I have taken the risk and will be purchasing Rooth's LS8 8 driver custom IEM stay tuned for details)

Here is a pic of Rooth's LS6 customs - http://us.f6.yahoofs.com/hkblog/cgF2l5iYHwQ_PBekh9O8BBCGKsxMnQ--_1/blog/20091102023944390.jpg?ib_____D.BEU1bFC

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone else willing to do some research and add to this thread.

Enjoy the ride!!!

Skoog5600

May 30, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 113
Sounds fantastic Skoog.
I love the idea of a high quality hybrid custom. I can't wait to review my triple driver 5eb custom hybrid when it arrives.
I think hybrids will be the next best thing for people who love musical big bass beats in a custom. Best of both worlds IMHO.

I'm going straight to check it out. Thanks for the threads.
customNuts

May 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 113
Those are ridiculously expensive. I can't imagine more than 3% of the population can even afford to think about one, let alone have the inclination to buy one. The divide between the middle class and rich is too great for such an absurd price point at top of the line..

May 30, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 113

Quote:
Sounds fantastic Skoog.
I love the idea of a high quality hybrid custom. I can't wait to review my triple driver 5eb custom hybrid when it arrives.
I think hybrids will be the next best thing for people who love musical big bass beats in a custom. Best of both worlds IMHO.

I'm going straight to check it out. Thanks for the threads.
customNuts

The JH16 Pro already offers that.

May 30, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 113

Quote:
Those are ridiculously expensive. I can't imagine more than 3% of the population can even afford to think about one, let alone have the inclination to buy one. The divide between the middle class and rich is too great for such an absurd price point at top of the line..

make it 1% and thats still over 10 million people.

at last count the number of millionaires in china was larger than the number in the us, europe and japan combined,... i cant recall where i read it.

and here's the thing, they have more in common with other world millionaires than they do with their own fellow comrades. the luxury market is booming there, and since those people can choose between international and domestic makers, the fact that the local market is going nutz is a pretty good sign that the quality must be up to par. 

the only differences thereafter are a matter of taste.

May 30, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 113
   Actually a lot of people from mainland China and Hong Kong are getting those local custom IEMs,those makers are too busy to take care of the oversea orders,that's probably the reason most of the people here only know about UM.

About the prices ,those flagship 6 or 8 drivers and hybird customs cost roughly half of JH13 pro.

Currently all reviews are available only in Chinese, i am guessing Skoog5600 would be the first to review Rooth's flagship 8 drivers LS8 outside of China, Hong Kong and Taiwan

May 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 113
Whomever said the price was expensive, actually of you do the conversion it is not nearly as expensive as the JH series. I live in Japan so the yen actually makes it less expensive than the dollar.

As for the quality, as soon as I get the LS8s in I will get pics and a review up right away.

As for reviews, if you find something you like cut and paste the URL in google do a search and hit translate page.Or Yahoo has Babel which translates pages. It is not the greatest translation but you get the gist of it.

As for pricing for the customs, look for links within the pages that have taobao, that is I believe their paypal equivalent. Otherwise I believe the prices are on most of the customs.

Skoog

May 30, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 113
review translation NO.1

8 driver flagship custom IEM by the orginal designer of Rooth's LS8   Price@5680 RMB (831USD)

credit to the OP (pictures available): http://www.mingo-hmw.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=104749&extra=page%3D1

maker's web with prices : http://shop35825172.taobao.com/

Review:
 Bass can go really deep,it feels like a knocking to my heart but the quantity of bass is not too much. There is more sub bass then bass for this IEM.

CX8 has a bright sound generally,including vocals,it may surprise you if you are into female vocals.

Soundstage is where CX8 can really shines,especially when i listen to live recordings,i can really feel the space,sure it can't be compared to high end speaker but it sounds amazing as a IEM

When i listen to music with CX8, i hear details which i never heard before,it's hard to describe how surprised i am. I cold hear the drummer counting the beats,i could even hear the conversation of audiences.

May 31, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 113

Quote:
Whomever said the price was expensive, actually of you do the conversion it is not nearly as expensive as the JH series. I live in Japan so the yen actually makes it less expensive than the dollar.

As for the quality, as soon as I get the LS8s in I will get pics and a review up right away.

As for reviews, if you find something you like cut and paste the URL in google do a search and hit translate page.Or Yahoo has Babel which translates pages. It is not the greatest translation but you get the gist of it.

As for pricing for the customs, look for links within the pages that have taobao, that is I believe their paypal equivalent. Otherwise I believe the prices are on most of the customs.

Skoog

To us, yes it is more affordable. But Chinese citizens don't get a chance to make a conversion and when you factor in how much everyone except the most exiguous elite make, you can easily tell that a year of saving up would probably not allow most people to afford one of these. Last time I was in China (less than half a decade ago), my relatives used incandescent lightbulbs with wattages normally seen on florescents. It is obviously atrocious for their eyes, but they didn't even have a better option!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back