Custom IEM Set-up
Jan 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

DJ RaZoR17

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody. I'm sure these questions come around every other day, so I'm sorry for sounding like a noob :p. I've decided to finally invest in custom IEMs, the problem is the more I read, the less I feel I know. I listen to a lot of indie (Edward Shape, Young the Giant, Beirut, etc) , electronic indie (Miike Snow, M83, The Weeknd, etc), classic rock, classic jazz, and a little bit from here and there. I'm def not a basshead, so I don't want a bass-heavy IEM. I love a clear, detailed, natural, neutral, balanced sound. I like to hear the music to as close to what it would be in the studio live as possible. I'm not a performer, so I don't need bleed. Money is no concern. I currently use a HM-801 and a iPhone 4s depending on where I am. However, I may sell my HM-801 to get the Colorfly C4 and will also be purchasing the CLAS with a SR-71B.

IEMs I've narrowed down to are:
Spiral Ear 5-way
Heir Audio 6.A
Westone ES5
UM Miracle

Thanks a ton for the help guys.
Incoming products:
Spiral Ear 5-way
Probably going to buy either 6.A or Miracle to hold me over as well, plus might as well jump into the market with a bang.

I'll be sure to let y'all know which I decide on probably within the week. I still have to get my impressions anyways. :p

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 52
I will highly recommend the JH13Pro with JH3a(or without) and they sound incredibley detailed(in mids, highs), live with superb imaging, instrument separation and deep punchy bass. The other CIEMs like UM Miracle, ES5 and Heir Audio 6.A are also recommended.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 52
Zarim, thanks for the recommendation, have you tried any of the others you mentioned? How did they compare?

Br777, thanks for the link. I read through part of it earlier, which is partly what I was referring to when I said the more I read, the less I knew. I'll probably have to go back a read the whole thing when I have a bit more time for a clearer understanding.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 52

Quote:
Zarim, thanks for the recommendation, have you tried any of the others you mentioned? How did they compare?

He won't be able to offer any further information for you, because he has never personally heard any of the items he recommended. He just lifts others' descriptions and pawns them everywhere he can. He's morphing into a bot.... What a great and valuable member...  
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 52

Quote:

He won't be able to offer any further information for you, because he has never personally heard any of the items he recommended. He just lifts others' descriptions and pawns them everywhere he can. He's morphing into a bot.... What a great and valuable member...  
rolleyes.gif

Hahahaha. Thanks for the heads-up.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 52
I only have JH13 Pro myselves, so I cant say much about the other IEMS you mention, but all I can say is that JH13 Pro in my experience does not sound good right out of the box. The sound is quite sterile, lack of bass, hollow and in general unsatisfying if paired with for example a Cowon J3 or similar player. It sounds a little better with an iPhone4, but in order to let the JH13 Pro shine, you must pair it with a good amplifier and DAC. Since I only have a Pico DAC/AMP, I have connected the JH13 Pro to my iPad via the Apple Camera Connection Kit (see the picture). It still sounds sterile though, I guess mostly because the Pico is a neutral amplifier, so I have recently ordered the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo and Alo The Continental V2 tube amplifier, which hopefully will warmer the sound. I hope the bass will be punchier too. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 52
You welcome. I think JH13 Pro will sound good with Hifiman 801. I have read that the Hifiman 801 has a warm sound, so it will probably match JH13 Pro nicely. As for myselves, I regret that I didnt buy JH16 Pro; I have read its more musical and less sterile than JH13. And I also think the bass on JH13 is too tame. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 52
While I haven't done all that much listening to them, I think you should add the T1 Live! to your list as it has a very natural sound that is not bass heavy.  I should have my T1 review up in about 2 months if you can wait, and I will be comparing it with the 5-way, JH16, and EM4 among others.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 52
I originally had the T1 on my list, but I think I read somewhere that the sound was too warm or something like that. I have since forgotten :p. But I'll keep that in mind. I can probably wait, the last thing I wanna do is rush into buying something and regret it later. Can anybody remove any from the list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back