CUSTOM IEM FOR STAGE
Apr 30, 2011 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pixelman123

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am looking to find feedback on some dual driver custom IEM. I have been looking at the 1964-D, DRUMEARZ, Fidelity Custom Earphones. They will all be dual drivers I am looking for.

I know there are a lot of triples and quads out there but I need these to be a neutral reference monitor. Yep, cost is a factor but clarity will rule. I am a rock drummer and do a great deal of singing. I have everything on stage going into my mix and have tone and volume at my side. I have been using some Monsters and AKG in-ears and really like them as monitors compared to wedges and hot spots. My ears need the db reduction customs will bring.

Any stage performers have any opinions or experience with this?

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 21
You can also look at custom fit tips for a universal iem. For example, the custom-fit softerwear sleeves plus the mg7 Atrios are $275 total (although this is a dynamic driver, I think it would work out very nicely for you).

Apr 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 21
I have look at both the custom tips ( nice to update monitors when you need to) and a lot of the universal fit monitors. I did consider both before deciding to go with custom mold in ears. I have read and agree that drummers have to deal with a rather high db level. Between my snare and cymbals (Paste Rudes) it can get very loud. Add in the fact that my mates love to crank it up. So I need the db reduction custom molds will deliver. I know a huge majority will say triple or quads but I don't need the mud that can come with them. When we have four and five piece harmonies I need to hear vocal most of all.

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 21
You could go for the JH5 Pro.  A solid dual armature custom, from what I understand.

If you really want a lot of isolation, though, you could go for anything by etymotic.  They can be uncomfortable, from what I understand, but their isolation is second to none.  It's pretty hard to get a good custom at the price range you've set...

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
I have look at both the custom tips ( nice to update monitors when you need to) and a lot of the universal fit monitors. I did consider both before deciding to go with custom mold in ears. I have read and agree that drummers have to deal with a rather high db level. Between my snare and cymbals (Paste Rudes) it can get very loud. Add in the fact that my mates love to crank it up. So I need the db reduction custom molds will deliver. I know a huge majority will say triple or quads but I don't need the mud that can come with them. When we have four and five piece harmonies I need to hear vocal most of all.

While custom mold do in average provide good isolation, they are not always the most isolated. Some universal IEM can provide just as good, if not better isolation than custom. Do look into j-phonic if you ever consider an universal, my review is here.

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 21
The customs I listed in my first post are all within that range and whether they are good is what I an wondering. I am leaning toward the 1964-D. There are some good reviews on that one and was hoping to hear a user that might have used them or one of the other. Yeah you can spend some big bucks on a pair of customs but I don't think you have to to get reasonable sound. Monitors are a different kind of headphone. I prefer a flat response.

I know customs are not big here and are usually not for hi-fi listening but I was hoping to get some feedback.

Thanks for all your comments...

May 1, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 21
There are many custom IEMs in your price range.  I haven't heard any of the customs in that price range, but going with silicone will give you more isolation than acrylic by a bit.

Some others in your price range include:
Spiral Ear SE 2-way Pro (Ssilicone)
Minerva Mi-2 (silicone)
Thousand Sound TS222
Clear Tune Monitors CT-200

I would guess there are similarities among the lines from various manufacturers, but am not really sure.

May 1, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
While custom mold do in average provide good isolation, they are not always the most isolated. Some universal IEM can provide just as good, if not better isolation than custom. Do look into j-phonic if you ever consider an universal, my review is here.

Thanks ClieOS,

I read the review and I will take a closer look at some universals. I do believe you understand what a monitor is. Great review.

Thanks for the different options A_J , the only negative I see is they are all foreign.

May 1, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Not all customs are "monitors" though, from what I understand...most of the cheaper ones are most likely geared more for general consumer use.  I could be wrong though.

Agreed, thats what concerns me. I just got out of the 1964 appreciation thread and will go dual or triple. There company was a start up to market to musicians in the area. Monitors are not going used the same by all either so it is a bit subjective on what people like and want. The price point is good and the reviews are very good. Good enough to take a small chance.

So, where is America's Northern hat?

May 1, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Agreed, thats what concerns me. I just got out of the 1964 appreciation thread and will go dual or triple. There company was a start up to market to musicians in the area. Monitors are not going used the same by all either so it is a bit subjective on what people like and want. The price point is good and the reviews are very good. Good enough to take a small chance.

So, where is America's Northern hat?

Canada, you may have heard of it. :p

And yeah, though it is kind of disconcerting that you can't return customs if you find you don't like them...I think they should offer a program where you pay the whole price of the IEM, then they ship you a universal version to try out for a week or so.  I think that could go a long way to help customers feel better about buying such an expensive IEM.

But then, what do I know. :p

May 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Canada, you may have heard of it. :p

And yeah, though it is kind of disconcerting that you can't return customs if you find you don't like them...I think they should offer a program where you pay the whole price of the IEM, then they ship you a universal version to try out for a week or so.  I think that could go a long way to help customers feel better about buying such an expensive IEM.

But then, what do I know. :p

What is life without risk..... Yeah, I heard of Canada ay.....  Got a wedding to go to in September in Ottawa.

Thanks for the opinions....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back