Custom IEM for Classical Music (Newbie Help!)
Apr 20, 2011 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

juantendo8

100+ Head-Fier
*TL;DR Version at Bottom*

I was looking around the market and was very surprised by how many makers of custom IEMs there are at the present time. I have been looking to replace my faithful Shure SE530s but wanted something with a better fit and isolation that could still be considered portable. (I think my ear holes are different sizes and disallow a comfortable fit with universals) I considered reshelling my Shures but I decided on investing in pure customs after some research. I am pleased by how affordable and available some of these customs are and I believe I am ready to take the plunge.

I still am on a budget so I can't pay $400+ but I am willing to invest up to about that much for good customs. I am looking for customs mainly for one genre of music. This would be classical music with an emphasis on piano and orchestra which is what I listen to 90% or more of the time. I also listen to a little classic rock with a bit of hard rock but I definitely place precedence on classical music. I have been looking at amazing bargains like the 1964-T and D but have also heard amazing things about the JH5s (which is at the limit of my price range). The important qualities that I am looking for in these customs include a very detailed sound with good instrument separation and a good soundstage. I also desire a sound that is faithful to the original (neutral?)  but that has the ability to convey the peaks of emotional climaxes without losing steam or giving up (very difficult to describe, a feeling that you have reached a new destination and an ability to lose yourself in the music). I am sure that my love of the SE530s have helped shaped my tastes. In summary, I would like the detail and soundstage of the SE530s but with better emotional drive, especially on the highs.

EDIT: When I said neutral I'm fairly sure that I meant flatter response. I am a musician and I have difficulty relating to the music in technical rather than expressive terms.

Now I am fairly uninformed in the arena of custom IEMs so any experienced input would be greatly appreciated. I hope to make this a purchase that will bring me great joy and musical fulfillment for a long time.

*TL;DR
- Customs for almost solely classical music, especially piano and orchestra
- Good Detail and Instrument Separation along with nice Soundstage (I can pick out orchestral instruments as opposed to them blending together)
- Signature without much Coloration (needs to accurately reproduce recording)
- Good Dynamic Variation and Capability to carry Intensity , especially in the upper registers (more so than my SE530s)
- Preferably Under $400 (not including cost of impressions etc.)

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Same here. We need a multi-custom review with price piers and value indices!!

I'm working on it, but it is expensive!  In the first post you can see the thoughts of my current customs and in the third post is all the manufacturers that I know of.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 4
 Thank you joe for your threads. I have read them and they are full of valuable information. I also realize that finding someone experienced with a vast variety of customs is difficult because of expense and personalization. I think a multi-custom thread would be an invaluable information source for ignorant individuals like myself.

Nonetheless, I would still greatly appreciate anyone who can help me find a custom for classical music with my stated preferences. I just know that one of them is the right one for me 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back