Custom IEM comfort
Nov 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

raelamb

100+ Head-Fier
I used to own custom ETY's 30 years ago but it's been a while so I consider myself a newbie. Can you guys tell me how long I should be able to comfortably wear my customs before I experience:

A. discomfort
B. pain
C. the desire to rip my face off

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 7
I heard that customs should last you around 3-4 years before they dont fit you anymore

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Oops:frowning2:

I may not have been clear. The ETY's are long gone.

I just got the JH-16's.

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 7
give yourself some time.

When i first got customs, i suffered from a bit of claustrophobia, and discomfort for about 2-3 days...max listening time was about 1-2hrs.

These days I can do 4-5 hours without the slightest hint of discomfort...probably could do 9-10 who knows how many hours if i werent interrupted at work/have to eat lunch etc.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 7
Really appreciate the advice.    Just got my JH5's and they are huge! Got them yesterday and I think I actually tried tried to slightly push them in deeper like silicones when turning them in to lock in place, felt pain!   This morning I gently pushed the tip in then turned them to lock in place and no pain on insertion and they don't feel quite as  monstrously big in my ears!  Wonder if theres any lube folks use?

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 7
You won't be needing lube. Well, at least not for your CIEMs anyway.

Give it a few days. I experienced a bit of discomfort the first 2-3 days as well, as I had to get used to the feeling. Now I rarely even notice that my JH16's are in my ears (except for the sweet sound, obviously)

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 7
I used lube only with silicon customs, because they're a bit harder to pull in. Acrylic (at least the one I have now) don't need any lubricant - it takes a bit time to learn how to properly put them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back