Custom Grado Aluminium Cups
Oct 12, 2019 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mezzi

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Grado Heads!

Just wanted to share the creation of my custom Grado cups. I have a pair of SR60’s which have been fantastic for me but the other day I just staring at them and thought a more premium look with be great, how hard can it be and I haven’t used my CNC Machine in ages.

Just a minute with a hairdryer and the stock plastic cups came right off, now it’s time for some CAD Modeling, this part took a few hours after that, I dropped in a block of aircraft grade aluminum and away we go.

I was actually really excited to see the process and could visualize the SR60’s sporting these metal cups. 45 minutes later I attached them to the drivers and fell in love right away. I thought the weight might be an issue but it turns out the weight is just right, no drag on the ears whatsoever.

Sound

The sound is actually a bonus I did not expect. The SR60’s are a little thin on bass, but after fitting these metal cups I got better bass response. I have zero idea why this is other than perhaps there is a bigger chamber now instead of the stock thin plastic cup.

Design

I didn’t put too much thought into the design other than I wanted it clean and simple. I was going to cut the middle vent out completely and glue in a black mesh. Since I needed to wrap up the project quick I decided to drill the holes in there. I’m not 100% happy with the size of the holes, I could have made them larger. Overall, it’s a massive change in appearance.

I took them out to a gig the other night and was blown away with the response with other fellow audiophile equipment peeps and confirmed the improved sound with these cups.

The next step is to refine the design and come out with different versions of this design and perhaps anodizing. I have my sights on creating an all blacked out design and matte options.

Suggestions would be appreciated on what to improve; I really do value your opinions. I have a ton of spare time in the next few months and need input.

Version: Model 1 (Tiny Holes)

IMG-2827.jpg

IMG-2828.jpg

IMG-2836.jpg

IMG-2829.jpg

IMG-2850.jpg

P1120468.jpg

IMG-2837.jpg

P1120453.jpg

P1120459.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 12
Dang! Those look sweet! How's the weight? Do they feel heavy when worn?

Not one bit. I wore these for the whole day and never felt the weight. That being said I'm actually making a thin version of these, I figure some people may want a more discrete design instead of the fat "home use" look. You know, when out in public, Starbucks, Bus, etc...

I plan on making them in the new couple days, I'll post pics here.

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 12
Not one bit. I wore these for the whole day and never felt the weight. That being said I'm actually making a thin version of these, I figure some people may want a more discrete design instead of the fat "home use" look. You know, when out in public, Starbucks, Bus, etc...

I plan on making them in the new couple days, I'll post pics here.

Looking forward to seeing them!

Oct 22, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 12
Created a new design based on feedback from friends and made the holes bigger, I think this is a much more aesthetically pleasing look and maintains the great sound. I thought maybe the size of the holes had some correlation to the way the headphones sound but it doesn’t seem to make a difference based on my tests from vocal, Hard Rock, Jazz and from different formats like WAV, MP3, DSD, etc.

Additional feedback was to make a low profile version as some people don’t like big cans while riding the bus, coffee shop, etc. I’m going to create a low profile version and post up here. I've been busy making some for close friends and I do plan on making additional cups due to my months of spare time.

Anyway here is the new design.

Version: Model 2 (Large Holes)

P1120602.jpg

P1120607.jpg

P1120608.jpg

P1120617.jpg

P1120618.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 12
Wanted a two-tone version as well so in this version I inserted a black mesh. Similar in dimension of Model 2 but I cut the center piece off. It looks and sounds fantastic.
Installed these bad boys on my buddies SR80’s and produced the same sound signature plus a push in the bass department.

As mentioned earlier I'm going to make a slim version for people that don't want to wear bigger cans in public.

Version: Model 3 (Black Mesh)

P1120627.jpg

P1120632.jpg

P1120637.jpg

P1120647.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back