Custom fit for existing earbuds vs. new custom buds
Apr 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jazzun

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone! I am new to this web site, and I'm happy to find a site with so many experienced audiophiles.  I currently have a 5-year old pair of Ultimate Ears Super-fi 5 earbuds.  I've been very happy with the sound, but the fit has always been a problem.  I am considering an upgrade to custom-fit earbuds, and I have a question for the community here.

Should I use a company like EarSound Customs or AverySounds and have my UE Super-fi put into a mold, or go with a newer pair like Entymotic H5? 

I like the low-cost solution of getting molds for the UEs.  They are good earbuds with great sound, and I would expect to have even more clarity with all of the ambient noise isolated.

But I'd hate to spend the $150+ only to find that the sound has been affected or, worse, have the phones die and leave me with a useless mold.

Has anyone used a good service provider to make a mold for an existing pair of earphones?

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 5
OK, I guess I'm on my own here.  If I asked a question that was already covered elsewhere, my apologies.  There is a lot of information on this site, and I was just trying to find some opinions on whether custom earpieces for an existing earbud set were anywhere near as good as a custom-designed set like Ultimate Ears custom fit or JH.  I'm sure that the custom designed buds are superior, but also come with a big cost.

I decided to go with the Westone AC2.  I get the earmolds made this week, and the new phones should arrive a few weeks after that.  I'll post my impressions once they come in (although I wonder if anyone wants to read from a newbie, based on the no-reply track record).

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 5
Welcome to head-fi Jazzun.  Many people have got custom molded ear tips, I have some as well and while they improve the sound, full customs will usually be better since they were designed from the ground up to be customized and they are tuned to your ear impressions.

But it seems you have gone for the AC2, congratulations and I for one will be interested in your impressions.  I believe project86 also has a the AC2 on the way so you two can compare notes.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the reply, Average Joe.  While I have been collecting and listening to music for a very long time, I am only just now starting to move into "audiophile" territory.  I've enjoyed the UE Super-Fi5 phones, but I realized that if I move up in quality then my music collection would need to also improve in quality. 

I originally ripped all of my CDs (~900) to just 128kbps in iTunes in order to fit as much as possible to my ipods (2-160GB and 1-80GB).  When I download music (legally, of course :)), I try to find 320kbps files because I had not found an easy way to transfer FLAC into Apple LossLess.

Now I am in the process of re-ripping my favorite CDs to Apple LossLess in anticipation of the Westone AC2s.  Ripping hundreds of CDs is painful!

What I need to research now is whether the AC2s will benefit from using an amp.  To date I've never used an amp so I am not familiar with what or when to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back