Custom Art FIBAE 7 announcement & impressions thread
Jun 23, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #77 of 749
I’m not that good at comparing IEMs, and I only had an hour and a half with the FIBAE 7, but here are my thoughts!

FIBAE 7 sounds like a slightly W-shaped IEM to me.
- The soundstage is tall and deep.
- The soundstage is wider than Custom Art’s other IEMs. Separation is one step up too.
- I agree with @audio123 that it has an airy and effortless sound.
- No sibilance! Treble reminds me of the FIBAE 3.
- Very clean and deep subbass, a bit less midbass?
- Female vocals are the highlight of the presentation. Emotions are captured very well. Ariana sounds just right.

Compared to other IEMs on the table
vs Custom Art Harmony 8.2
- Both H8.2 and FIBAE 7 do subbass well.
- Harmony 8.2 has a thicker sound: a bit more midbass? The H8.2 also sounds slightly more congested and closed-in.
- Harmony 8.2 is less bright: less treble quantity, and less treble extension
- Harmony 8.2 is a better “easy listening” IEM. FIBAE 7 is a better “all-rounder”

vs Campfire Audio Andromeda S (my current daily driver)
- Andromeda S is more neutral, while the W-shape of the FIBAE 7 makes the FIBAE 7 sound a bit cleaner in comparison.
- Andromeda S has a wider stage (I don’t think many can beat it here), but the FIBAE 7 has a deeper stage and layers better.
- FIBAE 7 does deep subbass better.
- FIBAE 7 has more forward and emotional female vocals, while the Andromeda S has nicer male vocals.

vs Lime Ears Aether R (on my shopping list)
- You know... I kind of feel like the FIBAE 7 is just superior to the Aether R. I didn’t notice this until I tried the FIBAE 7, but the Aether R makes female vocalists sound... whiny? Yes, Ariana is whiny irl, but not in her songs. So the FIBAE 7 sounds a bit more natural.

Other thoughts
- The Null Audio cable that comes with the FIBAE 7 is nice. It’s softer and more flexible than the EA Ares II.

Just waiting for more experienced reviewers like @Deezel177 and @crabdog to share their thoughts!

5422F773-9D8C-4565-997C-7F744CCD23EB.jpeg

Jun 23, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #78 of 749
I’m not that good at comparing IEMs, and I only had an hour and a half with the FIBAE 7, but here are my thoughts!

- The soundstage is wider than Custom Art’s other IEMs. Separation is one step up too.
- Female vocals are the highlight of the presentation. Emotions are captured very well. Ariana sounds just right.

- Harmony 8.2 has a thicker sound: a bit more midbass? The H8.2 also sounds slightly more congested and closed-in.
- Harmony 8.2 is a better “easy listening” IEM. FIBAE 7 is a better “all-rounder”

- Andromeda S is more neutral, while the W-shape of the FIBAE 7 makes the FIBAE 7 sound a bit cleaner in comparison.
- Andromeda S has a wider stage (I don’t think many can beat it here), but the FIBAE 7 has a deeper stage and layers better.
- FIBAE 7 has more forward and emotional female vocals, while the Andromeda S has nicer male vocals.

- You know... I kind of feel like the FIBAE 7 is just superior to the Aether R. I didn’t notice this until I tried the FIBAE 7, but the Aether R makes female vocalists sound... whiny? Yes, Ariana is whiny irl, but not in her songs. So the FIBAE 7 sounds a bit more natural.

Other thoughts
- The Null Audio cable that comes with the FIBAE 7 is nice. It’s softer and more flexible than the EA Ares II.

Just waiting for more experienced reviewers like @Deezel177 and @crabdog to share their thoughts!

Interesting that you mention the Aether because I really like its tonality.

Jun 23, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #79 of 749

Other thoughts

Glad you enjoyed listening to the FIBAE 7. @piotrus-g & the Custom Art team has done it again with this flagship. :)

Jun 23, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #80 of 749
The FIBAE 7 is most certainly on the radar. It has been really great to hear the FIBAE line progress and each one is different and shines on it's own merits. Currently, I am A/B'ing the F4 and the ME. Hopefully, I will get my hands on the F7 soon.

20190623_071501.jpg

Jun 23, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #81 of 749

Other thoughts

Amazing listening impressions! I assume the comparisons were made with stock cable on? Any chance you tried switching it to any other with balanced output?

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #82 of 749
Interesting that you mention the Aether because I really like its tonality.
I actually really like Aether R (I still want one!), but I just think the FIBAE 7 does things a bit better for my tastes, especially in the midrange... that bass boost switch of the Aether R makes it so appealing, though.

Amazing listening impressions! I assume the comparisons were made with stock cable on? Any chance you tried switching it to any other with balanced output?
Yeah, I used the stock cables for all the IEMs. I didn’t have time to try different cables, but I’m very eager to try EA Eros II (since it made the FIBAE 3 sound even better) sometime!

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #83 of 749
I actually really like Aether R (I still want one!), but I just think the FIBAE 7 does things a bit better for my tastes, especially in the midrange... that bass boost switch of the Aether R makes it so appealing, though.

Yeah, I used the stock cables for all the IEMs. I didn’t have time to try different cables, but I’m very eager to try EA Eros II (since it made the FIBAE 3 sound even better) sometime!

Have the same experience, AE cables tend to positively impact characteristics of Custom Art IEMs big time :beyersmile: Thanks

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #84 of 749
I share similar views with you too. The FIBAE 7 is more musical sounding than the Aether R with a sweeter midrange and extended yet controlled treble in particular. The FIBAE 7 prides itself with the ability to balance smoothness yet staying engaging at the same time. The musicality triumphs some other pricier flagships. I can safely say that the FIBAE 7 is easily one of the best flagship iems in the market. :)

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #86 of 749
Thank you all for your feedback on FIBAE 7. I'm really glad you guys are enjoying it so far :)
The FIBAE 7 is an excellent flagship release and it is difficult not to enjoy it :p

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #87 of 749
Today I compared the FIBAE 7 with the VE8 from Vision Ears, the philosophy is not the same and comparison was not easy because of psycho-acoustic, I had to wait a bit when listening to because change needs time for adaptation.

The VE8 is known as a CIEM with body and mid bass bump, moreover with silicon filled into the shell, the sound is usually bolder than any other CIEM/IEM. I observed that with the H8.2, ACS Encore or SE5 Ultimate too. As a result, with an acrylic shell, the FIABE 7 sounds thinner during the first 10 to 20 seconds of listening, but then the stage take shape with body, less mid bass, more high mids and especially more trebles.

The FIBAE 7 is highly detailed and pushes neither forward, nor backward, details in high frequencies. The VE8 has more resolution on mids, especially on male vocal, but the FIBAE 7's details are more audible while being not analytical. The sound remains highly cohesive between instrument's harmonics like the VE8 does.

It's a shame, but I compared them with the stock cable on the WM1A's 3.5mm output. After the comparison, which as aforementioned was not as easy as expected, I plugged the Lionheart to the FIBAE 7 and continued to listened to the same track with balanced amplification that time. What a shock! That thick and big sound! It is too bad I don't own the same cables with a 4.4mm Kobiconn connector in order to compare properly the VE8 with the FIBAE 7, but the WM1A single ended output is just a shame for a high-end DAP.

Nevertheless, I tried yesterday night the FIBAE 7 with my Sony XZ1 Compact which usually has poor audio quality, but that was fine. The cable was a Moon Audio Black Dragon customized by myself and I'm not sure that's the best pairing for the FIBAE 7, but all in all everything was more than decent for an on-the-go listening. Fortunately.

Cool, I was recently looking into VE products with strong intent to pursue their VE5. Now knowing more I'll need to rethink my options.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jun 25, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #88 of 749
Cool, I was recently looking into VE products with strong intent to pursue their VE5. Now knowing more I'll need to rethink my options.
Mat, if you have time come to our lab :wink: you know you are always welcome to stop by! Haven't seen you in years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back