Custom-3 announcements and impressions
Dec 7, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #17 of 306
There seems to be a bit of confusion over Klipsch naming convention. This is understandable and I appologies if peopler were under the impression that this is a triple. Hey I don't come up with the names. I just design the PM's. But if they let me name it I would come up with something like...PM1, PM1.1, PM 1.2 or something goofy like "Dude" , "Wow" or "Totally Awsome!". So that is why they keep me in the lab.
wink.gif

When Dr. Brad Cochlear and I start a prototype we name it. There isn't anyone else in the lab so it is first come first serve. The original code names that we came up with for IMAGE and Custom series was Elite and Dr. Pepper. Yeah I know Dr. P is trademarked but we wouldn't sell it with that name. It is just for our fun.

The story is that we had an opportunity to do a high quality low cost 2 way which is Custom 2. The next number to come up was Custom 3. Boring story but that is the way it came down.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #18 of 306
Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Thump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There seems to be a bit of confusion over Klipsch naming convention. This is understandable and I appologies if peopler were under the impression that this is a triple. Hey I don't come up with the names. I just design the PM's. But if they let me name it I would come up with something like...PM1, PM1.1, PM 1.2 or something goofy like "Dude" , "Wow" or "Totally Awsome!". So that is why they keep me in the lab.
wink.gif

When Dr. Brad Cochlear and I start a prototype we name it. There isn't anyone else in the lab so it is first come first serve. The original code names that we came up with for IMAGE and Custom series was Elite and Dr. Pepper. Yeah I know Dr. P is trademarked but we wouldn't sell it with that name. It is just for our fun.

The story is that we had an opportunity to do a high quality low cost 2 way which is Custom 2. The next number to come up was Custom 3. Boring story but that is the way it came down.

not boring at all, its a good story.

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #20 of 306
Quote:

wink.gif

I'm sorry, but the Klipsh marketing department needs an overhaul! Not only is the name "custom" misleading as these are not true custom IEMs but the "3" in custom 3 is also misleading as it leads people to believe its a triple driver IEM.

It is disappointing to see such disastrous marketing!!! Hopefully the product is good to make up for it!

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #21 of 306
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but the Klipsh marketing department needs an overhaul! Not only is the name "custom" misleading as these are not true custom IEMs but the "3" in custom 3 is also misleading as it leads people to believe its a triple driver IEM.

It is disappointing to see such disastrous marketing!!! Hopefully the product is good to make up for it!

I understand where your coming from and had the same impression. However, most people have no clue about custom headphones currently and numbers are popped onto everything these days. Head-fi is a different world compared to Klipsch's usual market base.

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #22 of 306
In Sales and Marketing's defense (can't believe I just wrote that)... If you look at an E2, E3 or E4 did you think that these were multi's. No because you have been use to hearing these model numbers for several years.

Tom Gospel the Sr. Program Director started with some interesting model numbers. 301, 502, 702 for Custom 1,2,&3. That made a lot more sense to me since you could add more models in between the levels of 3,5&7 and the last digit designated the number of arms. That was too logical I guess.

I would guess this will all be a moot point once you have had a chance to hear the familiy of Klipsch PM's, especially Custom 3 and IMAGE.

On a side note, I won't be posting much in the next two weeks, since I will be at the factory polishing 702's (C3). I welcome you to PM me or post on any Klipsch topic but my responses will be very slow and spuratic, so I appologies in advance.

I can't wait for you to stick it!
cool.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #24 of 306
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soooo the custom 3 is actually a universal 2? Is it too late to rename these? I hope not.

Yep, way too late. Sorry for any confusion, but I hope people read about the product before they commit to purchase! What's in a name?
wink.gif

I wasn't involved in any naming decisions, obviously because I would've gone with Good, Better, Best, and TOTALLY COOL.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #25 of 306
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, way too late. Sorry for any confusion, but I hope people read about the product before they commit to purchase! What's in a name?
wink.gif

I wasn't involved in any naming decisions, obviously because I would've gone with Good, Better, Best, and TOTALLY COOL.

The question is though, is TOTALLY COOL better than best.
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #26 of 306
I prefer the TOTALLY COOL, cause I'm a comfort + sound girl....if you're going for sound only, go with Best.
smily_headphones1.gif
(I just don't like things over my ears!)

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 306
Thanks Amy and Professor for the updates. I can't remember knowing this much detail about the development of a headphone product. Kind of keeps us on our toes waiting to hear the progress.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #28 of 306
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Amy and Professor for the updates. I can't remember knowing this much detail about the development of a headphone product. Kind of keeps us on our toes waiting to hear the progress.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Your welcome! Personal attention is very important to us...as well as the feedback everyone here can give us. Can you tell we're excited too!
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #29 of 306
Quote:

In Sales and Marketing's defense (can't believe I just wrote that)... If you look at an E2, E3 or E4 did you think that these were multi's. No because you have been use to hearing these model numbers for several years.

Nope, cos Shure have up to E5 and there is no such thing as a 5 driver IEM (nor do shure have a 4 driver IEM), therefore I didn't think twice about it. However, with Klipsh, it went C1, C2 and C3, which would lead any resonable person to think it is 1 driver, 2 drivers and 3 drivers. The other issue with "custom" is just a whole different story, I personally feel it shouldn't be called this, don't know about advertising laws there, but down under, this would probably go to the consumer protection agency as misleading advertising.

Anyhow, now that its too late to change the name, ill get over it and look forward to the reviews on the final products.

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #30 of 306
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, cos Shure have up to E5 and there is no such thing as a 5 driver IEM (nor do shure have a 4 driver IEM), therefore I didn't think twice about it. However, with Klipsh, it went C1, C2 and C3, which would lead any resonable person to think it is 1 driver, 2 drivers and 3 drivers. The other issue with "custom" is just a whole different story, I personally feel it shouldn't be called this, don't know about advertising laws there, but down under, this would probably go to the consumer protection agency as misleading advertising.

Anyhow, now that its too late to change the name, ill get over it and look forward to the reviews on the final products.

Advertising laws? Consumer Protection Agencies?.... You're Serious??? I'd think there would be far bigger injustices in the world to be concerned about other than Klipsch's apparent faux pas with names. So at first glance they may be a bit confusing to a Head-Fier (probably not many others though) but a cursory amount of research and it quickly becomes obvious what they actually mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back