Curse you head-fi....considering DAC options
Apr 10, 2010 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mookowz13

100+ Head-Fier
Just when I think I'm done upgrading you guys pull me back in...I managed to fly home and listen to my home setup last weekend which, as nice as it was, seemed a little lacking despite the fact that I've been running portable for the last 3 months.

Here are my current options:

Option 1: Amp is fine, upgrade the DAC
Option 2: DAC is fine, upgrade the amp
Option 3: Run away, quickly, nothing is wrong with my system, RIGHT?!

I'm starting a new job in May so I'm actually not too concerned with option 3 at the moment (the family and g/f may think otherwise...) and I'm leaning towards Option 1 since I think my headfive is pretty good compared to the limited selection of amps I've heard (Compass, Little Dot MkV) and I know the Silverstone EB01 outputs a little quiet.

Now here's my dilemma, what the heck should I get? I listen mostly at the computer so USB only isn't a problem, but having different inputs is nice if I do want to move it around to other systems. My budget is probably about $300-400 including shipping and it looks like my best bet will be shopping on ebay.

-Keces HA-151
-Valab NOS DAC
-Yulong DAH1
-Musiland MD10
-Little Dot DAC MkII

I've read a fair amount on the Keces and Valab so I'm not as concerned with those, I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on the other 3 or any other possible options I might have.

Thanks guys, and my wallet hates you.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 7
You might want to look into Pico as well. Despite it's size, it measures quite well against full size DACs.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks I'll have to look into the V-DAC as well.

I know Justin from Headamp makes some amazing products, but my only concern (which may be completely unfounded) is the reliance on USB for power. My big qualm about my Silverstone right now is it sounds a little underpowered and quiet since its powered by USB bus only, which I also have a similar experience with when listening to my dad's hotaudio HotUSB1. Given, the PICO dac is a way nicer component than both so once again my concerns may be completely unfounded.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 7
There are many real DACs in that price range
wink.gif

Pico DAC as mentioned, gamma 2 and even some older DACs like Parasound are really good.

I'm waiting for the new Emotiva myself, it should be a fine choice for an estimate price of ~$300

EDIT: Never had problems of underpower or too quiet with my USB powered DACs like Pico or 0202USB

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 7
The reason your Headfive sounds fine is that the amps in the Compass and MKV are average at best. I'd say improving your DAC wont change anything, except that each DAC might give a slightly different tonal balance, so all you'll get is a different flavour.

My suggestion, as it has a better DAC and amp, would be the Audio-gd Fun A-version + order samples of a good dual OPAMP such as the LME49720. The stock A-version DAC section is on par with the Pico DAC, possibly slightly better. With a HDAM it will exceed it. The A-version amp section is also significantly better than that of the Compass amp section. I can't think offhand of separate amps and DACs that would meet your budget in that price range.

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Well, I've investigated this price range immensely and ended up with the Headroom Micro DAC as a leading contender. I abused the PM's to Skylab and HA and ended up with that conclusion
wink.gif
It is just purely a DAC though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back