1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Currently own Sennheiser 598's but....

1. eth3rton
    Hello Head-Fi! 

I am looking for some help and suggestions. I am looking for the perfect headphones (for me) - currently own the Sennheiser HD598's. I love the sound that the 598's produce with the exception of the bass, or lack there of. I am powering them with a Aune T1 USB DAC/Amp with a stock tube in it at the moment. Tomorrow a 1966 Amperex Gold Pin PQ 7308/E88CC tube will be sitting in my mailbox. I read that this tube can make a huge difference in sound - particularly in the warmness & bass area. With that said, I don't think it is going to make that much difference in the 598's overall. I have read through many many threads and topics here on Head-Fi... I have come up with a short list but please contribute any and all opinions...

•    Philips Fidelio X1/28 

•    HiFiMan - HE-400 

•    Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro or non-Pro (what's the difference?)

•    Audio Technica ATH-AD700

So, my question is, recommend me some headphones for gaming, movies and some music? Primarily classic/rock when listening to music. I am not looking for anything along the lines of Beats, but I would like a little more bass than my 598's seem capable of. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

::

2. Sam21
    X1 : fun sound with big soundstage

DT-880 : neutral with natural soundstage

AD-700 : same soundstage as the HD598 but with even less bass

HE-400 is in another tier

I recommend Either X1 or HE-400 because of their fun sound detail and soundstage overall.

Look into DT990 as well...

3. eth3rton

What do you mean by "another tier"? Price wise they are in the same ballpark. Are they a better headphone? Thanks!

4. Sam21
    He-400 is a planar magnetic, planar magnetics have their own unique attributes. HE-400 used to be 400 bucks and now it has become cheaper. It is one of the headphones that I am planning to get. Notable features of this headphone : Fantastic and textured bass with a lot of detail...with soundstage similar to DT990's

5. eth3rton
    Might have a chance to pick up a Denon AH-D5000 for $450. Thoughts on this headphone?

6. eth3rton
    It was a no go on the Denon AH-D5000's. Leaning towards the HE-400's.