Currently own Sennheiser 598's but....
May 30, 2014 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eth3rton

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi! 

I am looking for some help and suggestions. I am looking for the perfect headphones (for me) - currently own the Sennheiser HD598's. I love the sound that the 598's produce with the exception of the bass, or lack there of. I am powering them with a Aune T1 USB DAC/Amp with a stock tube in it at the moment. Tomorrow a 1966 Amperex Gold Pin PQ 7308/E88CC tube will be sitting in my mailbox. I read that this tube can make a huge difference in sound - particularly in the warmness & bass area. With that said, I don't think it is going to make that much difference in the 598's overall. I have read through many many threads and topics here on Head-Fi... I have come up with a short list but please contribute any and all opinions...

•    Philips Fidelio X1/28 

•    HiFiMan - HE-400 

•    Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro or non-Pro (what's the difference?)

•    Audio Technica ATH-AD700

So, my question is, recommend me some headphones for gaming, movies and some music? Primarily classic/rock when listening to music. I am not looking for anything along the lines of Beats, but I would like a little more bass than my 598's seem capable of. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

::

May 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 6
X1 : fun sound with big soundstage

DT-880 : neutral with natural soundstage

AD-700 : same soundstage as the HD598 but with even less bass

HE-400 is in another tier

I recommend Either X1 or HE-400 because of their fun sound detail and soundstage overall.

Look into DT990 as well...

May 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 6
He-400 is a planar magnetic, planar magnetics have their own unique attributes. HE-400 used to be 400 bucks and now it has become cheaper. It is one of the headphones that I am planning to get. Notable features of this headphone : Fantastic and textured bass with a lot of detail...with soundstage similar to DT990's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back