Current/Upcoming DACs based on AK4499 chip?
Nov 16, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #16 of 152
I believe low latency is equivalent to short delay filter/minimum phase filter and phase compensated is equivalent to linear phase.
These options dont relate to frequency response of the filter, so they shouldnt behave any different with hi res or redbook.

Though IME minimum phase filters (slow or fast roll off) sounded inferior to linear. linear phase were smoother and more resolving, so for that reason it's probably the best choice since resolution is whole point of hi res.
minimum phase is supposed to give better transients,which kind of translated to better ''slam''.
I personally prefer minimum phase which sounds smoother to me :wink:.. MP 'Slow' preferred.

YMMV

Nov 23, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #19 of 152
Wonder if dual 4497 (i.e., D70) is a better product?

One thing I dont like about these Chinese DAC is they never update the firmware/driver though.
IMO no, the AK4499 is a current output DAC, these rely on external circuits to perform current to voltage conversion, this gives the designer more control over the implementation.
The older AKM DACs (4490/93/97) were voltage output DACs, with current to voltage conversion done internally. The internal circuits in these DACs are based on CMOS op amps, this technology is generally known for low cost and low power than maximum sound quality.
However this is not reflected in the measurements, infact I think DAC utlizing these chips tend measure slightly better than current output ones, probably due to more simplified implementation.

The Topping D50 uses another current output chip (9038Q2M) and Topping used top quality components throughout the external circuits, oriented towards delivering maximum sound quality. The D90 will almost certainly be given the same treatment.

Nov 24, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #20 of 152
Wonder if dual 4497 (i.e., D70) is a better product?

One thing I dont like about these Chinese DAC is they never update the firmware/driver though.
They Update it if needed, I just received my SMSL m500 and received an update.
CHORD they never ever update there DACs.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #21 of 152
IMO no, the AK4499 is a current output DAC, these rely on external circuits to perform current to voltage conversion, this gives the designer more control over the implementation.

Strictly speaking its not current output, its an array of equal-valued resistors fed from a reference voltage. The output stage though should present the lowest possible impedance to the DAC (in order to achieve the lowest THD), in this sense its interfaced as if it were a current output DAC. But true current output DACs have high output impedance (hundreds of kohm typically) and AK4499 has very low output impedance (tens of ohms).

The older AKM DACs (4490/93/97) were voltage output DACs, with current to voltage conversion done internally. The internal circuits in these DACs are based on CMOS op amps, this technology is generally known for low cost and low power than maximum sound quality.

I'm fairly sure that CMOS DACs like this don't convert digits to current, the internal representation is always voltage as they're of switched-capacitor type. So no I/V conversion is ever needed.

However this is not reflected in the measurements, infact I think DAC utlizing these chips tend measure slightly better than current output ones, probably due to more simplified implementation.

Its significant that AKM went over to the same kind of resistor-based architecture as ESS to get the very lowest noise - CMOS opamps and switched-caps just won't cut it at those performance levels.

The Topping D50 uses another current output chip (9038Q2M) and Topping used top quality components throughout the external circuits, oriented towards delivering maximum sound quality. The D90 will almost certainly be given the same treatment.

ES9038 is another resistor-based DAC with a low output impedance.

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #22 of 152
Strictly speaking its not current output, its an array of equal-valued resistors fed from a reference voltage. The output stage though should present the lowest possible impedance to the DAC (in order to achieve the lowest THD), in this sense its interfaced as if it were a current output DAC. But true current output DACs have high output impedance (hundreds of kohm typically) and AK4499 has very low output impedance (tens of ohms).

I'm fairly sure that CMOS DACs like this don't convert digits to current, the internal representation is always voltage as they're of switched-capacitor type. So no I/V conversion is ever needed.

Its significant that AKM went over to the same kind of resistor-based architecture as ESS to get the very lowest noise - CMOS opamps and switched-caps just won't cut it at those performance levels.

ES9038 is another resistor-based DAC with a low output impedance.
Thanks for the clarifications, I still have much to learn on this topic.

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #25 of 152
I'm looking at getting a new dac and I was going to get the new JDS Labs EL Dac II since I love the original that pairs great with my SMSL SP200 THX amp but that Monoprice one looks nice. I don't want to spend over $500 so that's at the top of my price range.

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #26 of 152
I'm looking at getting a new dac and I was going to get the new JDS Labs EL Dac II since I love the original that pairs great with my SMSL SP200 THX amp but that Monoprice one looks nice. I don't want to spend over $500 so that's at the top of my price range.
Why post in this AK4499? Not sure I understand

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #27 of 152
Why post in this AK4499? Not sure I understand

I was saying that the new Monoprice Dac with the AK4499 is one I wouldn't mind possible getting.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #30 of 152
Oh I see. Yeah I wonder if the $499 is correct?! The Gustard dual AK4499 is over $1k

Topping D90 I think will be the cheapest/best option.
If we see there previous product and there measurements in ASR it will be promising.

As I tried SMSL M500 350$ DAC it sound way better than Chord Mojo and now I have believe on these brand as topping support SMSL on there M500

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back