Current/Upcoming DACs based on AK4499 chip?
Nov 6, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 152
I am also waiting on the Topping D90 and the Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum to be released and for the manufacturers to provide more info on them and hopefully provide inside pic’s so we all can see the cap’s and electronics. I hope the D90 has more options than the Topping D70 as I feel the D70 is very options limited and I’m looking for more as I like options from an “audio enthusiast” perspective. From my perspective, the D70 only having 6 decay options settings and nothing else is more limited than what I’m interested in.

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 152
I am also waiting on the Topping D90 and the Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum to be released and for the manufacturers to provide more info on them and hopefully provide inside pic’s so we all can see the cap’s and electronics. I hope the D90 has more options than the Topping D70 as I feel the D70 is very options limited and I’m looking for more as I like options from an “audio enthusiast” perspective. From my perspective, the D70 only having 6 decay options settings and nothing else is more limited than what I’m interested in.
Are you talking about DAC filter options?
The AKM chips only have 7 built in filter modes, so thats the most the D90 will have.
Personally I find the standard slow rolloff linear filters are the only ones worth using, to my ears they are the most transparent and most balanced when it comes to their strong and weak points .
Slow roll off filters are also the best choice for HiRes because as sample rate increases less aggressive filters are required, you will basically get the full benefits of slow roll off filter with less of the potential downsides.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 152
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 152
The AKM chips only have 7 built in filter modes, so thats the most the D90 will have.
Personally I find the standard slow rolloff linear filters are the only ones worth using, to my ears they are the most transparent and most balanced when it comes to their strong and weak points .
Slow roll off filters are also the best choice for HiRes because as sample rate increases less aggressive filters are required, you will basically get the full benefits of slow roll off filter with less of the potential downsides.
Hi, and thanks, as I was not aware the AKM series came with 7 DAC Filters. My 788 only has three DAC Filters and there have been requests from users on the Monoprice website that more be added (and I am one of them). In my opinion, the DAC Filters are required, but I also like more options like an EQ or a PEQ, etc. My thought is the Topping D70 looks great inside and has great spec’s, but the only option it has is the DAC Filter and I would like more. I hope either the D90 or the Liquid Platinum DAC have more than just one option, the DAC Filter.

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 152
Hi, and thanks, as I was not aware the AKM series came with 7 DAC Filters. My 788 only has three DAC Filters and there have been requests from users on the Monoprice website that more be added (and I am one of them). In my opinion, the DAC Filters are required, but I also like more options like an EQ or a PEQ, etc. My thought is the Topping D70 looks great inside and has great spec’s, but the only option it has is the DAC Filter and I would like more. I hope either the D90 or the Liquid Platinum DAC have more than just one option, the DAC Filter.
ah ok I understand.
The D90 includes AK4137 SRC chip, this could have some very interesting options, like integrated PCM to DSD conversion.
The AKM DACs are a bit unique when it comes to DSD, they feature a ''Bypass mode'',
When the AK4499 receives a DSD input (which could be a PCM file converted to DSD by the AK4137 or software on PC) with ''bypass mode'' enabled most of the processing stages that a PCM input would go through will be bypassed internally for DSD, in theory the simplified path will give you a more transparent output from the DAC.

One problem is that digital volume control is also bypassed, naturally as DSD is a 1bit format and needs to converted to PCM (multibit) to allow volume control... which is what normally happens with a DSD input e.g all of the ESS Sabre DAC chips like 9038Q2M in D50.

It's also possible the D90 wont have the option to enable bypass mode.
The D70 uses AK4497 which also has a bypass mode but the D70 does not allow you to enable it,
My guess is it's because someone may enable it without fully understanding it and get a DSD output playing at max volume, potentially damaging their ears and/or gear

You can see it in this diagram for AK4499:
ak4499.png

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 152
Nov 15, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 152
I have the Hiby R5 and it has 4 low-pass antialiasing filter settings. The 2 "slow" settings are: slow roll off & low latency and slow roll off & phase compensated. Which of the do you think sound best with Hi Res files?

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 152
I have the Hiby R5 and it has 4 low-pass antialiasing filter settings. The 2 "slow" settings are: slow roll off & low latency and slow roll off & phase compensated. Which of the do you think sound best with Hi Res files?
I believe low latency is equivalent to short delay filter/minimum phase filter and phase compensated is equivalent to linear phase.
These options dont relate to frequency response of the filter, so they shouldnt behave any different with hi res or redbook.

Though IME minimum phase filters (slow or fast roll off) sounded inferior to linear. linear phase were smoother and more resolving, so for that reason it's probably the best choice since resolution is whole point of hi res.
minimum phase is supposed to give better transients,which kind of translated to better ''slam''.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back