Current rig pics
Jan 21, 2002 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Jan 21, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 59
Nice pics, Vertigo. The RKV is beautiful. I particularly like the fan aimed right at your seating position.
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 59
I notice that Mariah Carey #1's SACD on top of your stack. Very nice. =)

That's a RA-972 right? I used to have a used RA-1060 which were awesome, but I traded it for Harman Kardon PA 2000. Wish I had sold it and gotten ASL tube amp. But I'm very satisfied with it for now.

oooo,
eek.gif
those triangles must sound great for the computer.
wink.gif
I only have headphone rig for the PC, my speakers are in living room which I never get to use.

BTW, I have the same cable modem, and what's that ps2 doing there?

Jan 21, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 59
that's a nice looking setup you've got there, vert. many a man would give their liver for such fine equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, how are you finding the rotel integrated? i remember auditioning a rotel integrated and a rotel preamp/amp with the B&W CDM-1NT's and finding them a little on the smooth side, although it might have been due partially to the speakers. matched with those triangle's might be different.

Jan 21, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 59
That's a fine looking system. The only thing that's wrong is the speaker placement - they need more room to breathe. You'd be amazed how much the sound can change by moving the speakers further away from the TV and shelf.

Jan 21, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 59
Very nice setup you have there
smily_headphones1.gif

PS2, Sony monitor...Nice couch
smily_headphones1.gif

2 odd things are 1) the mop and 2) the half used toilet paper roll
biggrin.gif

What Rotel amp and what speakers are they? I couldnt quite make it out.

Boy I wish I had a camera to take pics ><
My amp & speakers are so purty
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 59
Yep joe, that's my good ole fan...it's 10+ years old by now. I can't believe it's still going...the plastic frame has already started disintegrating and just falling apart, but the fan itself is still going strong. I just can't bring myself to replace it. =*) I turn it on when headphoning since we all know how our ears tend to get warm while headbanging...but then sometimes I'll get irritated by the air flow noise and turn it back off...and then on when my ears get warm again.
rolleyes.gif

Yes that is a Rotel 972. I agree with the review on What Hi Fi who said it was a warm amp that tended towards a slight boominess in the lower mids and bass. You could also call it smooth...it's so smooth it even makes sibilance sound smooth.
rolleyes.gif
I'm on the lookout for a different amp that's quicker, cleaner, and of course brighter in the treble but in the meantime I'm still nonetheless enjoying the Rotel's sound with the Tituses, because of its smooth sound. Very non-irritating and just easy to listen to, and I believe speakers are more in-your-face so a smooth sound definitely helps in the long run.

The Tituses are of course phenomenal as a PC speaker, if a little overkill, but the imaging for games is nuts. I wish I could place them farther apart, but if I did move them any further out they'd be in the hallway.
wink.gif
Yes that is a PS2 sitting there, I'm a gamer, what can I say.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ctn, since you just have to be so observant
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
, the mop is out in the hallway, and the toilet paper...that's for the runny nose.
biggrin.gif
And That ain't a couch, it's an office chair...and it's by far the most dominating piece in my 10x10 room.
tongue.gif
The speakers are the Triangle Tituses, which retail at $495 and made it to Stereophile Class B. I put a review of em up on Audioreview if anybody wants to read what I think about them.

Jan 21, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 59
Kewl gonna find that review
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw if you are after a really clean sounding amp. Its the cleanest Ive heard in this price range.
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/redgumaudio/rgi60.html
Its been tested for 88.9W
smily_headphones1.gif
so their figures are somewhat conservative.

All the specs are there but if you are the lazy type:

rgi60.jpg

Power Output: 60 + 60 watt/Ch RMS (132 + 132 RMS IHF Pulse)
Harmonic Distortion: less than .009% (below Clipping)
Intermodulation Distortion: less than .005% (below Clipping)
Signal to noise: greater than 100db
Input Impedance: 10k ohms (matches 600 ohms - 50k ohms)
Slew Rate: greater than 65Volt / microsecond
Damping Factor: greater than 150
Frequency Response: 0.8 Hz to 80KHz (-3db points)
Peak Current: greater than 150 amps
Audio Inputs: CD, DVD, Tuner, AV1, AV2
Suggested Speakers: RGS28i or RGS38i
Cabinet Finish: solid Red Gum wood fascia, powder-coated 1.6 mm steel chassis (black finish)
Dimensions: 420mm (W) x 360mm (D) x 85mm (H)
Shipping weight: 9.1 kg (8.16 kg cubic)

Its the one Im currently using and its just absolutely breathtaking !!

The cost is US$1,300. If you buy it in Oz it costs about 750US.

The front wood panel is so pretty...that pic doesnt show how glossy it really is
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 59
Vertigo,

Nice setup. How'd you hook up the ps2 to the comp monitor? There's not a vga box like there was for the Dreamcast, is there?

Dave

Jan 21, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #11 of 59
The PS2 is being fed into a Hauppauge WinTV tuner PCI card through Svideo.
wink.gif
Overall pic is much crisper and clearer than it would look on a conventional TV.

There is a VGA box also for the PSX/PS2, but I think going Svideo is close enough...at $50 the VGA box is kinda expensive.

Jan 21, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 59
Jan 21, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 59
Yeah I use the 9000 as a DVD player as well, since it is the best DVD player in the house. Otherwise I could use my DVD-ROM or PS2.

Jan 21, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #15 of 59
Being able to afford expensive stuff is all about managing your money. As a college student, apart from school expenses (and rent if you live off campus), there's not a whole lot of necessary expenses. For me, food, and a little entertainment. A little aside for travel, gifts, or toilet paper, and the rest can be put away for music and audio gear. I don't live lavishly, and don't eat out every day. So there's always left over every week from the campus job. Summer's are excellent too. Living at home, I'm spoiled with good food and nice house. Add a full time summer job for 3 months, and that's a nice chunk o' dough. Finding stuff to spend it on ain't that hard to do, either. Vert, I'd imagine is in a similar situation (correct me if i'm wrong)
smily_headphones1.gif

That said, I'm one happy monkey!
biggrin.gif

oh yeah, and not having a gf helps plenty too, i'd imagine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back