Current impressions: Benchmark DAC-1 vs. Lavry DA10?
Jan 31, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #121 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Lastly, here's a heads up. "Jon L" from audioasylum will do his own Aqvox/ DAC1/ Black shoot-out in a few days.

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/scripts/m...3849&f=general

He's a known DAC1 supporter, so his review will be interesting.

Jon L is a member here. He has posted in this thread.

I don't know if he is doing a more extensive review for AudioAsylum, but his initial impressions from the socal meet are here.

He rated the Lavry as "the most technically correct DAC". He finds that the DAC1 has "tiny bit more grain and graveliness in the upper ranges" compared to the other DAC's. You must try to discredit him immediately.

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #122 of 136
Quote:

I don't want a glowing review of anything but will respond to personal attacks --re: Benchmark marketing hype and the dogmatic assertions that the DAC1's treble is distorted. Does Iron Dreamer think that it's just his opinion? Not based on what he's written. He seems to think that it's a fact.

The only one making personal attacks here is you. Please take AlanY's excellent advice.

Jan 31, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #123 of 136
The only calling people "idiot" and "ignorant" is Iron Dreamer. I've never insulted him or anyone on this thread or ever on this board.

I feel no need to discredit Jon's assessment:

"Benchmark had just a tiny bit more grain and gravelliness in the upper ranges, which is what I think what people interpret as "brightness." But tonal balance-wise, Benchmark wasn't any brighter than other DAC's. In fact, just below that treble area, Benchmark had a wee-bit richer (lumpier?) and darker feel compared to Lavry. I still don't see why Benchmark is accused to have "no bas" or "lean bass." I just don't hear that. Still an excellent-sounding DAC overall, and even with all those things I mentioned, one would be hard-pressed to pick them out in blind A-B testing without music you are intimately familiar with gear you know well."

How nice of you, borat, to omit the last part of that comment (LOL).

I haven't been trying to discredit anyone for that matter. People need to know that Iron Dreamer wanted to sell his DAC1 and tried to before he ever received the Lavry and probably the Aqvox as well.

Jan 31, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #124 of 136
Quote:

The only calling people "idiot" and "ignorant" is Iron Dreamer. I've never insulted him or anyone on this thread or ever on this board.

I feel no need to discredit Jon's assessment:

"Benchmark had just a tiny bit more grain and gravelliness in the upper ranges, which is what I think what people interpret as "brightness." But tonal balance-wise, Benchmark wasn't any brighter than other DAC's. In fact, just below that treble area, Benchmark had a wee-bit richer (lumpier?) and darker feel compared to Lavry. I still don't see why Benchmark is accused to have "no bas" or "lean bass." I just don't hear that. Still an excellent-sounding DAC overall, and even with all those things I mentioned, one would be hard-pressed to pick them out in blind A-B testing without music you are intimately familiar with gear you know well."

How nice of you, borat, to omit the last part of that comment (LOL).

I haven't been trying to discredit anyone for that matter. People need to know that Iron Dreamer wanted to sell his DAC1 and tried to before he ever received the Lavry and probably the Aqvox as well.

If he did sell the DAC1 before he received the Lavry, I'm sure he would NOT have made a DAC shootout thread, since I'm pretty sure he would be sensible enough not to make comments about a DAC from just audio memory.

I still don't see how him trying to sell it introduces any bias; if anything he's potentially lowered the resale value of his unit.

I really think he's done Headfi a great favor in comparing all these DACs which he has on hand, and continuing to make personal attacks at him (or trying to dogmatically defend a product you own) isn't adding anything of value to this thread.

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #125 of 136
Is there any word on Benchmark redoing the DAC1? Being that is has been out for awhile and I would think at some point would be redone? What is the time frame for DACs to have a newer model to come out. Maybe other competitors like the DA10, along others, will push Benchmark to do this.

Jan 31, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #126 of 136
Quote:

He doesn't have to answer of course, but inquiring minds would still like to know why he wanted to sell his DAC1 even before receiving/ extensively testing the other DACs.

Man, you're like a broken record and the worst part is it seems to be only you that's concerned. You've made you're point give it a rest already, all you're doing is ruining an informative thread.

FWIW, it's not an uncommon practice for people with tight budgets to line up potential buyers for their current gear before purchasing something else to try. For myself I typically have to fund my purchases by selling my old gear but before I jump the gun I'll usually buy the new piece using my credit card so I can compare the two and decide at that point. At times I've lined up a potential sale for my existing gear and/or the new piece in case I don't like it. This saves time and money by getting my CC paid off as quickly as possible.

Here at Head-Fi a good portion of the deals that are made don't even make it to the FS forum. An awful lot of gear changes hands just by word of mouth and within each other's little group of friends we regulars all seem to have. In this case I'm pretty sure you'll not see any of the DAC's listed in the FS forums because I'm betting Iron Dreamer has a line up of potential buyers for each of the DAC's he'll possibly be selling in the near future. I know I already contacted him in regards to the Lavry if he decides to sell it.

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #127 of 136
I really don't mind criticism of my equipment. Peter (Iron Dreamer) is a great guy and one with a good ear for equipment (but not musical taste/sensibility – what real metal-fan/music aficionado doesn’t like Opeth!?!
wink.gif
). Since the DAC1's release there have been many positive reviews by both audiophile and recording professionals (both tough critics with often-times opposing views - this is why their combined favorable impressions were so persuasive), which is one of the reasons I purchased it - I've been very happy with it but I understand that technology continually improves and I knew a superior product would be released given enough time. Perhaps the innovations of the Lavry will be realized by others (Benchmark included) and the DAC2 will be a competitive or even a revolutionary product. There is no need for hostility - Peter has his opinions and he hears things differently than others; I'm sure there was no intended malice in his statements. The Lavry DA10 and the Benchmark DAC1 are both great products with a differing perspective regarding jitter-reduction and different sound signatures; I am certainly looking forward to the opportunity of hearing the DA10 but for now the DAC1 is fulfilling my needs. My love and passion for music is why I'm here - let's not forget that.

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #128 of 136
exactly - just because an item changes hands doesn't mean that the item stinks - honestly, i think i've sold/traded some items in my day that i've lived to regret selling/trading. oh, if we could only all be like joelongwood and keep everything!
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #129 of 136
Hehe, you guys are getting too worked up over DAC's. I was (still am?) looking for a DAC to buy, but since comparing different DAC's, I've come to the conclusion that more improvement can be achieved in My current setup by buying something else.

So instead of a DAC, I just bought a pair of Silversmith Silver speaker cables for my speaker system. This is a speaker cable I know intimately and have compared to other expensive cables, and I KNOW I'm going to get more than "5%" improvement I heard from going from one DAC to another
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #130 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
exactly - just because an item changes hands doesn't mean that the item stinks - honestly, i think i've sold/traded some items in my day that i've lived to regret selling/trading. oh, if we could only all be like joelongwood and keep everything!
tongue.gif

I hear ya! Although if I had to do things again in the same situation I don't think I would change anything but given the opportunity/finances there are a few items I wouldn't have minded keeping in the stable.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #131 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Hehe, you guys are getting too worked up over DAC's. I was (still am?) looking for a DAC to buy, but since comparing different DAC's, I've come to the conclusion that more improvement can be achieved in My current setup by buying something else.

An excellent point, similar to one I made a couple of days ago at audioasylum.com.

Based on my experience with DACs there really isn't a very large difference between them...I would guess that this is particularly true of a DAC1 vs. Lavry Black comparison, since they use D/A converter chips from the same company! I believe most people will be able to discern a much greater difference between comparably priced headphones and speakers, and even between comparably priced amps and cables, for that matter.

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #132 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L

So instead of a DAC, I just bought a pair of Silversmith Silver speaker cables for my speaker system. This is a speaker cable I know intimately and have compared to other expensive cables, and I KNOW I'm going to get more than "5%" improvement I heard from going from one DAC to another
smily_headphones1.gif

Good point.
I will stop worrying if DAC1 still kicks ass, but start thinking about whether to get K701 or DT880 for my jazz listening. Maybe I need to sell my K501 and a few music DVDs to finance that...
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #133 of 136
You should worry only if you're starting to get tired of the sound you're listening to, which is why i just placed an order for an eastsound e5 (yes, yes, i know, but i did it anyway).
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #134 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
You should worry only if you're starting to get tired of the sound you're listening to, which is why i just placed an order for an eastsound e5 (yes, yes, i know, but i did it anyway).
biggrin.gif

Really now
icon10.gif

They will compliment eachother very nicely... the E5 is a fine cdp.

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #135 of 136
One thing I like about my DAC1 is how wide the soundstage is from the balanced outputs, even when using adapters for unbalanced cables. Big difference from its unbalanced outputs.

Any thoughts on how the Lavry's soundstage compares? I think the Lavry only has balanced outs right?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back