Current impressions: Benchmark DAC-1 vs. Lavry DA10?
Jan 22, 2006 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 136

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
Now that the Lavry DA10 has begun to ship, what are others impressions of the Benchmark DAC-1 vs the Lavry DA10?

Descriptions of objective comparisons and subjective preferences are both appreciated.

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 136
People tend to like the Lavry DA10 more than the DAC-1, subjective or not.

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 136
Does the Lavry DA10 make the Benchmark dAC1 sound broken or incorrect in comparison?

Or is it more a matter of personal taste and system matching?

Also, is there a Benchmark and Lavry "house sound"? (my reference is an RME Digi 96/8 PAD)

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I will be posting a full review including these two compnents in the next week or so. But the short version is that so far the Lavry is more refined in the treble, in that it hass equal volume and detail, but less harshness and digital glare. The low bass is also a bit more present/impactful.

That combo really sounds great. I can't wait to hear a Lavry, honestly.

Jan 23, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
Does the Lavry DA10 make the Benchmark dAC1 sound broken or incorrect in comparison?

Or is it more a matter of personal taste and system matching?

Also, is there a Benchmark and Lavry "house sound"? (my reference is an RME Digi 96/8 PAD)

No, it doesn't make the DAC1 sound broken or incorrect. It makes it sound slightly less refined/more harsh, and slightly lacking in low bass performance.

I think the difference I have noted so far is pretty objective, i.e. something that anyone who likes high-end sound would notice, and make them prefer the Lavry. I doubt system matching or taste would make one prefer the DAC1.

That said the Lavry does NOT "blow away" the DAC1, rather it is just an evolution, a slightly better spin on the same idea at the same price point.

I have only heard one item each from Benchmark and Lavry, so I cannot say whether either has a "house sound" let alone what it is, since I would need to hear at least two items from a particular company to even begin to make such claims, and preferablely at least a majority of all their products.

That said, if you want a comparison to your RME, let's just say that either one would be a HUGE upgrade. Even compared to my RME analog output that I modded with blackgate non-polar coupling caps and an AD8066 opamp, the difference is instantly noticeable not anything but subtle.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 136
I think so
smily_headphones1.gif

Like I said before, with a brighter can, I might notice the treble "flaw" of the DAC1 that I don't with the laid-back and typically smoother HD600/ HD650. Using the balanced out-puts also smooths out the slightly harsh headphone amp that the DAC1 has. Its head-amp is only decent for a $150 module, and I consider it to be a bonus more than anything else.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Keep in mind that tastes and cans more than anything else should dictate what one prefers in regards to components, especially the source. With Senns, I tend to like the treble of the DAC1, which I don't mind to be harsh, but with an SA5000 or a Grado, I would probably feel differently.

Agreed.

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 136
Someone should note that newer versions of the DAC1 have an improved sound compared to older versions, and that many of these comparisons between the Lavry and DAC1 were made using an old version of the DAC1.

I can verify this fact that the newer DAC1 sounds different than the the older one personally, because I have a brand new one and an old one hooked up right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
Do you guys think that a Benchmark DAC1 and the Sennheiser HD650 headphones are a particularly synergistic match?

Well I think a lot of people do, because they produce fairly high-end sound, at a lower cost relative to many options, and without any glaring deficiencies.

That said, having owned DAC1/HD650 and DA10/SA5000, the latter is simply a better combination. A flaw of the HD650's (veil/muted treble/overly relaxed sound/whatever you want to call it) effectively covers up a flaw of the DAC1 (slight IMD-esque treble distortion which it adds where cleaner components do not). It's like fighting fire with fire, you burn down the rest of the building so that the fire doesn't rage out of control and burn up more buildings; whereas the DA10 puts out the fire in the kitchen with a fire extinguisher, i.e. it never becomes a problem.

Remember, I have both components here, and can compare them instantaneously via an amp with multiple switched inputs. The DAC1 doesn't have more treble (i.e. more sparkle, or whatever choice noun you prefer); it simply has a harsher treble, which attracts more attention to the treble, making one THINK it has more treble. But when you can switch back and forth instantly, it is clear there is no real difference in frequency response.

For this reason, I think people who like the HD650 for how it sounds will prefer it with the Lavry, since the treble presentation will be more like how the HD650 is in and of itself, smooth and inoffensive. The DAC1/HD650 is for people who really don't like the essence of the HD650 and are trying to fight it into sounding like something it isn't. Those people would be better off going to Sonys or Grados, or anything with a more aggressive treble presentation, rather than using what is in my opinion a lower performance source as a form of rudimentary and placebo EQ. As someone who owned the DAC1 and HD650 together at one time, but ultimately ended up falling for other components, I must warn against falling into that rut. A better route would be to find headphones whose sound you can fully embrace (HD650 for dark/relaxed, K1000 for huge soundstage, K501 for lean bass but detailed, etc.) and then fin accompanying gear that allows those cans to truly excel at and embrace their essence.

To me the DAC1/HD650 combo is a bit like saying "I like how nice the inside of this Lexus LX430 feels, but it's just too darn sluggish responding around the twists," then going out and putting a crazy aftermarket suspension kit on your 5,000LB luxury car. You end up with a compromise that doesn't perform as well as just going out and getting a proper GT car like a BMW M3 for about the same amount of money. You buy a Lexus to have a soft and quiet ride. You buy HD650's to have a soft and quiet treble. Why fight them? Let them be what they are, and if you don't like it, get something else that does what you want better.

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #15 of 136
Uh, that holds true the other way around for the SA5000; you're covering up the flaws (it's harsh treble) with the DA10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back