Cure worst than the disease? power conditioners and strips
Jul 15, 2006 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm trying to maybe improve the power going to my system and such... mostly i'd like to focus on the digital side of things for now (and the dac)...
I'm considering the Monster 35000 thing and the PC-1000 (same as HTS 1000)... and maybe a few more (but nothing over 150)...
I'm wondering what are the benefits and the drop offs to using these on my system (which includes a headfive amp, zhaolu dac and a transport).
Thanks

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 48
I had the Monster AVS2000 and HTPS7000 and yes, the cure is worse than the disease. Its literally comes down to this:

No adverse symptoms for brown outs? No need for voltage regulation.
No ground loops? No need for balanced power.
Don't live beside a magnet or radio station? No need for filters.

I know Gilmore hates when I quote him so, the jist of it is most filters block things that aren't likely present to begin with
rolleyes.gif

Power conditioning should be used to resolve very identifiable problems otherwise money is better spent on other gear. My rig sounds way better straight to the wall than through $3000USD worth of Monster gear
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 48
Yes - the the cure is worse than the disease. I, myself, just started playing around with the way my [new] system is plugged into AC and it, for sure, made a difference in 2 components - the amp and the DAC.

These filters might reduce power spikes but they also reduce absolute power draw abilities of the component during dynamic passages...and therefore 'choke' the total sound.

I am trying to keep the surge sensitive devices plugged into the filters but move the draw sensitive devices out. It's tough...because you never have enough outlets!!
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 48
I am somewhat suspicious of all these power "conditioners" that modify the existing power.

That's why I use a PS Audio Power Re-Generator (P500), which allows me to not only set the voltage, but also the type of wave pattern (and its frequency), along with various other settings. If you believe that power can have an effect on sound, something such as a P300/P500/P1000 should probably be your ultimate desination...I think its ability to change the voltage will overcome many power cable shortcomings (of course, a good power cable with one of these devices can be a very good thing also). I know some high-end users here on head-fi also use these devices to create a custom voltage for electronics intended for use somewhere other than the U.S.

By the way, I haven't spent a lot of time researching the entire audio power-related marketplace, so there may be another device like the P300/P500/P1000 that I haven't read about yet.

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
I am somewhat suspicious of all these power "conditioners" that modify the existing power.

That's why I use a PS Audio Power Re-Generator (P500)...

(snip)

Does such a device not choke the sound, allowing enough current draw...or are we back to the same issue? Do you have it set to a fairly high output voltage, 120-123V or so, maybe more?? How is it???

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
I'm trying to maybe improve the power going to my system and such... mostly i'd like to focus on the digital side of things for now (and the dac)...
I'm considering the Monster 35000 thing and the PC-1000 (same as HTS 1000)... and maybe a few more (but nothing over 150)...
I'm wondering what are the benefits and the drop offs to using these on my system (which includes a headfive amp, zhaolu dac and a transport).
Thanks

i use both the HTS3500MKII and the PC1000 for the more mortal hookups back there. this 1-2 combo takes care of all my conditioning needs, i plug em in and forget it.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 48
Wall outlet 1 - unfiltered VH Audio hotbox for Power amps, HT receiver and subwoofer

Wall outlet 2 - Balancing isolation transformer with Eichmann power strip for CDP, DAC, DVDplayer (I will replace the Eichman strip with another hotbox in time)

I dont trust anything else.

Jul 17, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 48
The P500 is working well for me...even at high listening levels (with my amp, DAC, and Audiophile USB hooked up to it) it is showing only 8% usage level (i.e. it claims to be able to supply a lot more power than I'm requiring from it), so I highly doubt it is "choking" my amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've listened to my amp with and without it, by the way, and definitely feel a stronger presence from the amp with it (even with stock settings of 115V and a 60hz sine wave...it sounds even better with custom settings).

Of course, there are probably hundreds of professional reviews out there of the PS Audio power re-generators that give more information about what impact this product has on various types of equipment, since this is a very popular item (PS Audio's main reason for being successful, I'm guessing)...you should definitely do some google searches to find them if you are interested in the product.

Jul 17, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 48
Oh don't get me wrong, the power regenerator did something it just wasn't positive in my rig. But your rig is the definition of bright so the effect would be very positive in your rig while bringing my rig too far into mud land.

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
Passive, transformerless power conditioning is the only way to go for me. Audio Magic, Shunyata, et. al.

This is the only conditioning I have been able to live with also. I have three dedicated power lines to my room, two twenty amp lines(one each for amps) and one thirty amp line for my front end. The only conditioning I use is an Audio Magic mini digital stealth for my digital. Everything else (Preamp, phonostage, turntable, amps), are run off the wall.
This combo of dedicated lines and minimal conditioning has served me well. I have used psaudio, chang lightspeed, monster, and panamax and after awhile all had to go. (some quicker than others)
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 48
Yep. A properly designed conditioner should have similiar parts. Problem is, the power supply of most components aren't "properly designed" either because of lazy engineering or (more commonly) due to cost issues. I wouldn't expect any sub-$3,000 component to incorporate anything remotely equivalent.

If you want to spend more money manufacturing a product, the easiest way is to add complexity. Throw in some big transformers if you think you're getting better value for your money. Complexity, however, doesn't necessarily equate to improvement.

I'm the last person who'd defend Shunyata's MSRP; Without question, it is on the high side, though not as outrageous as the misleading article claims. Shunyata also has a history of selling dubious "snake-oil"-like products which are fortunately absent from their current product line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back