Cubicle living
Aug 18, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #16 of 32
The Denon AH-NC732 are also well regarded in the NC category. I have not personally heard them. They hover around $150.

It's a shame that you can't find the ATH-ANC7 cheaper. I got them a couple of years ago for well under $150. They're not worth $190. The replacement ATH-ANC7b goes for that price!

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #17 of 32
Yeah, I am not sure what is going on because people were complaining about the price going from $95 to $85 this past March. Now they are $180+? Doesn't make much sense and requires a lot more cents than I had planned. I will continue to scour the net to see if I can find a better deal. This is all so frustrating!

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 32
You want to do away with the hassle of the wire linking back to your computer, but have been advised against going wireless... but there is still one more option. Get a portable mp3 player and stick it in your pocket or somewhere on your person and then you can use wired headphones and still not be chained to your computer.

I recently purchased a pair of Yamaha RH5MA closed headphones for work. For a mere 45 bucks they put out a very solid sound with surprising tight bass. They don't leak at all, but unlike full-size closed cans, these sit on the ears with comfortable pads rather than around the ears, and being smaller they definitely look better for public spaces. Also they are low impedance so will work with most portable players I would think. I haven't had them long enough to give a detailed description of them, but they certainly sound much better than the Koss KTX Pros that they replaced.

That is just one headphone to consider, but that would still leave you one hundred bucks to buy a decent portable player if you want to try that route. I just have them hooked into my computer. They have a nice long cord for that so I can move around a bit. Also smaller headphones are better if you need to drop them down around your neck for example to take a phone call etc.

You said you wanted closed headphones to cut ambient noise, but still wanted to be able to hear people talking... I worked with a guy who used IEMs and he couldn't hear a dang thing said to him with those stuck in his ears, even if you were standing right behind him (which made it very handy to sneak up behind him and then scare the living daylights out of him). On the other hand, these Yamahas do cut the noise but not to the point of making it impossible to hear somebody talking to you (if you listen at an ear-friendly volume level anyway). Maybe the same is true for IEMs I don't know, but I admit I didn't like the ones I tried; what with the having to stick them in your ears and that they would lose all bass and sound quality if you bumped the wires causing them to lose their seal. I also have tried noise canceling - seemed like a gimmick that didn't really work...

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #19 of 32
Before this thread I had no idea that there were so many people living in cubicles.
Instead of thinking about audio,I would be thinking about ways to get a life outside of a cubicle.
However if cubicle living is your thing then get the best pair of closed cans you can afford.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want to do away with the hassle of the wire linking back to your computer, but have been advised against going wireless... but there is still one more option. Get a portable mp3 player and stick it in your pocket or somewhere on your person and then you can use wired headphones and still not be chained to your computer.

I'll second this. Except I'd more on the 'phones and less on the player.
How much does a Sansa Clip go for these days? 30 bucks?

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #21 of 32
Ford2 is right-it would be nice not to live in a cubicle but after 1 year of unemployment, I am glad to just be working. Luckily I live in Montana and I have windows to look out so it isn't quite so bad.

The mp3 option may be a good alternative. It seemed like a waste of money when I would have a computer that could do the same thing, however; you guys have enlightened me to the fact that I could easily move around then.

OK- so Yamaha RH5MA are good and sound like they may be in my price range. How about the Senns EH-150s? Are they comparable? Any others I should look at ordering? It really sucks not being able to try these on or compare the sound quality so I appreciate your patience.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #22 of 32
If you are looking at noise cancelling headphones I recommend listening YouTube - Noise Cancelling Shootout! first before ordering anything.

I've been working in cubicle for last 10 years and have used noise cancelling phones (out-of-production Sennheiser) to block the static.
I wouldn't buy them without trying. You need to try out how you feel when the world is removed around you and filled with complete silence, not everyone likes it. The ones that I've used you can still make a conversation.

Nowdays since the environment isn't that noisy I use AKG 601 which are open phones.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #23 of 32
These are the recommendations and prices so far:
ATH-ANC7$190
ATH-ANC7b$199
Grado SR-225$200
AKG K271s$170
Shure SRH-840s$200
Denon AH-NC732$160
Yamaha RH5MA$43

Being unemployed so long, I don't have much money. I might be able to swing $150 but under $100 would be ideal. Everyone has been very helpful and wish I could go to a store to try all your suggestions. Unfortunately I cannot. The only brands available where I live are bose and skullcandy with a few panasonics here and there. What headphones would you order over the net if you were me?

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #24 of 32
Hey dbcasper, as a Montana native I'll endeavor to help you out some more. Besides the Yamahas which I have no problem recommending to anyone wanting a good set of headphones in the sub $100 range, here are some that are also often recommend by others:

Sennheiser PX100 (open) and PX200 (closed) Collapsible Headphones -- both around $59.00 -- I have no experience with them.

Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case -- around $28.00 -- no experience with these either, but the Yamahas definitely sound much much better to my ears than the PortaPro's little brothers the Koss KTXPro1/KSC75 series which are no slouch in the $20.00 and under market.

Also the Audio-Technica ATHES7's at around $89.00 are said to sound great.

It would be interesting for sure to have a comparison between all of these headphones. I think you would probably be happy with any of the above judging by the favorable reviews they get here and elsewhere. Just pick the one that looks best for you. I am not sure though how any of the others besides the Yamahas do at isolating from outside noise since they are the only ones I have - and they do a good job of that.

If you are anywhere near Bozeman be sure and check out "Headroom" at www.headphone.com as they are based in Bozeman. I just ordered a pair of Denon Headphones from them and they said that though they don't have a retail store, they do allow visitors so you could stop by there and possibly demo many of the headphones in your price range.

Hope that helps.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #25 of 32
What a small world! I am originally from Glasgow MT but now I am in the big city of Helena. I'm so shocked a town this size doesn't have more av places. Might have to take a little trip to Bozeman. Thanks for the info!

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #26 of 32
Aug 21, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbcasper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a small world! I am originally from Glasgow MT but now I am in the big city of Helena. I'm so shocked a town this size doesn't have more av places. Might have to take a little trip to Bozeman. Thanks for the info!

That's really cool. If you make it down there tell us about your experience.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #28 of 32
Living in my cube, I use a pair of yuin OK3s earbuds. They work pretty well on low volume and I can still hear conversations going on around me. Also had a pair of the Denon D1001 closed cans that worked well too. People couldn't hear my music and I could still hear people talking and they're around $100.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #29 of 32
Just going to add another closed non-canceling headphone to the mix with the Denon AH-D1001k. They are quite nice closed headphones (although I am an open person,) and can be found way under their MSRP (You can find them for ~$75 online)

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #30 of 32
Sony CD3000 so you can look silly while you're working and silly afterward with the headphone hair.

Seriously, any earbud would be fine because you should be working and not totally emersed in music.

I wasn't joking about the headphone hairdo though. You'd really look silly.
I have three types of headphone hair. The AT's gives me a mohawk. TheSA5000 gives me a flat top. All the other cans gives me the standard headphone hairdo, you know, the trench for ear to ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back