CRYOGENIC TREATMENT
Jul 23, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #46 of 96
Cryo stuff that gets abused.

Ortherwise, I am also in the camp of it does very little or nothing to the sound.
It DOES increase the durability/flexibility of the cable. I would use Cryo treatment on headphone cable and cables for portable rigs. I wouldn't do it to anything else because it does nothing to benefit that end.

It DOES for a fact result in more times that you can bend the wire without breaking - tried it!

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #47 of 96
Someone is sending me some stuff to cryo.

Germania or anyone else from nwu can come and watch
to confirm i did in fact do it. KG80 in the tech building.
Date and time when i know when the stuff will be here.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #48 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes... Bose!! 5th state of matter!
The problem is that not all metals become superconductors with cooling.
Superconductors become superconductors with cooling.

And they superconduct only when at or VERY near absolute 0.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cryo stuff that gets abused.

Ortherwise, I am also in the camp of it does very little or nothing to the sound.
It DOES increase the durability/flexibility of the cable. I would use Cryo treatment on headphone cable and cables for portable rigs. I wouldn't do it to anything else because it does nothing to benefit that end.

It DOES for a fact result in more times that you can bend the wire without breaking - tried it!

As a mech. engineer, i"ll back this engineer's statement - cryo will definitely make the metal more ductile. What other benefit is has, I don't know. However, just keep in mind the bottlenecks - connectors, jacks, PCB traces, leads on resistors, capacitors, etc. 'nuff said.
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #50 of 96
I've had an ALO silver cable and a Jumbo Cryo a the same time before; no difference whatsoever. I concentrated and focused on the same song over and over until I looked constipated, but alas.

So IMHO only cryo cables if they're going to go out in public, where they'll be tougher and look cooler.
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #51 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is something that may relate to cryo changes in components/interconnects.

When metals are supercooled they go into the 5 state of matter - Bose Einstien condensate where the electrons are in lockstep and the material will superconduct.

So if a conductor is supercooled (cryo) and then slowly brought to room temperature is the new more relaxed state a degree closer to the superconducting state?

That would require cooling to a much, much lower temperature and keeping it there. You can't get "closer" to a superconductive state in any working way. Something either superconducts or it doesn't.

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #55 of 96
Oct 5, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #57 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can say is, if the urban legend turns out to be true, when Walt Disney is finally defrosted he's going to be absolutely stunning to listen to.

LOL
o2smile.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #58 of 96
LOL Kevin you are insane, you even drop CDs in there too!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Can I get of these CD jewel cases cryo treated, just to see if they are less prone to break???

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #59 of 96
I too am very keen to know if there was any sonic improvements, I have wondered as to the benefits of this process if any?

who sent you things for treatment??

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #60 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL Kevin you are insane, you even drop CDs in there too!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Can I get of these CD jewel cases cryo treated, just to see if they are less prone to break???

Actually there were 3 x SACD's, and all came out fine. One of the
micro jewel cases had a crack in it, not sure whether or not it was
cracked beforehand. All the cables and connectors came out fine.

Turns out one of the 3 baggies i threw in there also did not like the
cold, and came out very brittle. Not sure why. It was a no-name brand
anyway.

I'm expecting the person who had me do the cryo to post here soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back