CrossRoads MylarOne X3, XB, and Classic Owners Club
Aug 20, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #826 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by capeli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All,

I purchased the X3s about a month ago. They were fine in terms of sound quality, volume, isolation etc. for the 1st couple of weeks.

They suddenly about a week ago, they started acting up. I was walking along when I received an unpleasant electrical shock to my ears. It felt a lot like a static shock and I dismissed it, thinking it was an isolated incident.

Couple of days later, I was walking at night and the same thing happened.

Has anyone experienced anything remotely similar to this?

This could have nothing to do with the headphones themselves and many other variables.

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #827 of 1,031
Quote:

Hi All,

I purchased the X3s about a month ago. They were fine in terms of sound quality, volume, isolation etc. for the 1st couple of weeks.

They suddenly about a week ago, they started acting up. I was walking along when I received an unpleasant electrical shock to my ears. It felt a lot like a static shock and I dismissed it, thinking it was an isolated incident.

I've got this multiple times while mowing the lawn wearing my EP-630s. If someone could explain what causes it then I'd love to know.

At first I thought my headphones/mp3 player were acting up, then I unplugged them and it still happened...

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #828 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This could have nothing to do with the headphones themselves and many other variables.

I figured that this "static through the phone problem" could have its genesis from any number of factors.

There are too many variables to list. I'm trying to get an idea of the commonality of this occurance as that will help isolate the problem. If not a lot of people have experienced this then it suggests the problem is with my setup (which is somewhat unconvential for headphone use) rather than the phones themselves.

So far I know it tends to happen when I'm walking, but that's about it.

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #829 of 1,031
Whoa, static electricity... sounds dangerous. But I had been sleeping with X3 and XB and so far not got such experience. Touch wood. Better be careful, especially to check the equipments or setup in use.

Some listening update here...

Weeks back I felt I preferred the XB over X3... when I took out X3 two days ago for some listening, the clearer sound of it won me back... wonder if it's a absence makes the heart goes fonder thingy at work. So now XB's are getting their rest in the red pouch.

By the way, I was surfing some chinese sites for amp and headphone info and news and came across some pics of a few canalphones which seem to be selling pretty well in Hongkong. Some of the models are Soundmagic PL-10, 11, 12,13,& 20. They looks very much identical to OVC and mylarones.

Wonder how their SQ measures up to the mylarones?

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #830 of 1,031
Quote:

Hi All,

That is called "static electricity". It depends on the weather and some other factors: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/phy...ctricity.shtml.

Its not dangerous, don't panic. My wife experiences that a lot, sometimes we can even see a spark between her fingers and the cats hears, the cars door or the door knobs in the house.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #831 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmaster00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how theiriverstore.com is for customer service (aka is it as good as jabens)? Also...do you still get all the accessories if you order from theiriverstore?

Good customer service.

You get:

earphones
case
cable keeper
extra tips

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #832 of 1,031
Burned my new XB's in for some time now... now that's more like it. Maybe not quite as clear as the X3's, but the bass is there. I already like them a lot better than the X3's.

For a first impression, they certainly sound better than the CX300, they might be a welcome change to the Vibes for casual listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #833 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burned my new XB's in for some time now... now that's more like it. Maybe not quite as clear as the X3's, but the bass is there. I already like them a lot better than the X3's.

For a first impression, they certainly sound better than the CX300, they might be a welcome change to the Vibes for casual listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

dfkt, glad you're liking 'em. Do you second souperman's findings that the XBs are completely free of harshness and sibilance?

Be sure to update us as you continue to use them.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Ooh, just remembered you're also a satisfied Atrio m5 owner -- Could you post some m5/XB comparisons if you get the chance?

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #834 of 1,031
Well, I put some 4, 5 hours of pink noise through them and now listened a bit to them over the D2 and Trekstor Vibez. They're bright, but not annoying, I would say. Brighter than the Atrios, similar amount of bass - but as of yet less refined and a bit uncontrolled. I'll keep you updated, once my ears got accustomed to the new sound signature.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #835 of 1,031
my x3 sounded fantastic for about 2 weeks, then the bass has been dying/getting softer. my gf got a pair too, and she is experiencing the same.
sad face.
i wish i can somehow fuse the x3 and bose in-earphones(for uber bass)....

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #837 of 1,031
Quote:

Well, I put some 4, 5 hours of pink noise through them and now listened a bit to them over the D2 and Trekstor Vibez. They're bright, but not annoying, I would say. Brighter than the Atrios, similar amount of bass - but as of yet less refined and a bit uncontrolled. I'll keep you updated, once my ears got accustomed to the new sound signature.
smily_headphones1.gif

how did you like the mids of both Atrios and XB? I'm trying to decide between the two..

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #838 of 1,031
Spent the last few hours A/Bing several IEMs with the XB's. Oli84, if you don't mind paying more, the Atrios certainly are better in almost any aspect. The XB's do have more treble energy, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are more detailed sounding. The mids of the Atrios are better, more natural. The bass of the Atrios is detailed and punchy, the XBs sound more boomy and all over the place (at least after these few hours of usage). The Atrios are overall more refined. In this case, you get what you pay for.

After these few hours it's already obvious that the XB's kick the stuffing out of the V-Moda Vibes (which the X3's certainly didn't do for me). The Vibes sound nasal, tinny, veiled, flat, in comparison. The XB's are full, round, and the treble is less sibilant. Since I use the Vibes mostly for listening to audio books in bed (the place I need their glamorous luxury appearance the most), the sound is of not much importance to me. They still are the most comfortable IEMs for me, and they're forgiving to bad audiobook compression rates.

The XB's showed me how "meh" the X3's are for my tastes - far too little bass, far too much treble. I guess this means "balanced sound" to Ety or K701 freaks...
wink.gif
Going from the X3 to the XB certainly lets the X3s appear to have more clarity/detail/resolution, but after closer listening I think that only comes from the exaggerated treble and almost non-existent bass. It might be a tiny little more clarity in reality, but not a lot. It's hard to judge. IMO the X3's are "unnatural" and "anemic" sounding (but everyone hears different things with their X3's). One thing is for sure, my X3's will be up for sale.

Compared to the Super.Fi 5 EB the XB's are less bloated bass-wise (but extend almost as deep), have better midrange and a wider soundstage. They're also much more comfortable. In short, don't waste your money on the Super.Fi EB.

Didn't feel the need to dig up my CX300, ER6, and whatnot, since I don't listen to them anyways- and they're beyond comparison...

Let's hope the XBs sound similar if I try them again tomorrow... they might be a fine alternative to the Atrios for working out and similar risky business, equipment-wise.

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #839 of 1,031
Quote:

Let's hope the XBs sound similar if I try them again tomorrow... they might be a fine alternative to the Atrios for working out and similar risky business, equipment-wise.

This is exactly my interest in the XBs. Thanks for keeping us updated!
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back