CrossRoads MylarOne X3, XB, and Classic Owners Club
Aug 14, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #781 of 1,031
I would say that the SF.3 for X3 is a pretty lateral trade. You gain slightly better bass response, trade off for build quality, and gain something a bit more stylish imo. Its not really a bad trade. If the X3 holds up in terms of durability, I would say they are more enjoyable.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #782 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no lack of bass IMO. There is lack of bass weight and punch but that's bout it.

I'm horrible with the techy terms and words that get tossed around here. That's been the biggest challenge of head-fi (and not buying everything!).

I guess what I'm saying is what you said
smily_headphones1.gif
I hear the parts that normally carry the bass, but I don't feel it...i guess thats weight and punch....I'll figure this stuff out before long. It's just a language barrier.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #783 of 1,031
Just got my UE Universal fit tip kit today. I was pleased with the stock medium tips that originally came with my X3s, but I am absolutely LOVING the double flanged UE tips! More articulate bass to my ears & more controlled highs (read: removes the occasional slight sibilance).

Hard to believe I am getting such pleasant sound & isolation for so little money. The X3s won't replace my MS-1s, but they have taken over as my go-to portable 'cans' (a position formerly held by my KSC-75s).

I occasionally get the 'crinkle sound' out of my left driver, I think, due to pressure/suction effects from a forming good ear seal. However, so long as the build quality holds up (or Jaben maintains his excellent replacement policy) I'll be happy with the X3s for a long while.

X2 on Jaben offering the UE Universal fit kits with the X3 as a package deal!

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #785 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I envy you people using the UE bi-flanges. They don't fit my silly ear canals.

Have you been able to try the UE or Shure E2 foamies? Several users seem to prefer them over the UE double flanges, so there might be hope yet!

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #786 of 1,031
Quote:

They don't work that well for me either, stick out of the ear too much and do not provide a good seal. Medium size UE tips work tons better.

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #788 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently just acquired myself some XB's (but selling them most likely.) I'll report on how they sound.

Please do! After extended time with the Atrio m5s, I've found my X3s distinctly unsatisfying bass-wise. I'm hoping the XB will serve as more satisfactory beater canalphones.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #789 of 1,031
I may have been a bit hasty with my first post. I think the biggest problem was I just wasn't used to this sound. I've been listening a lot to the X3's, and have become used to the sound and I enjoy it. I've actually started to really enjoy them with live recordings (listening to a recent Pearl Jam show in Chicago, audience recorded), and I love it. I can't wait for the UE tips to arrive to see if it changes anything. Either way, I think I'll be jumping further into the IEM world later...maybe some Atrio's for christmas?
smily_headphones1.gif
Big change from when I first arrived and had ruled out IEM's before trying them. Shame on me!

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #790 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait for the UE tips to arrive to see if it changes anything.

There is a very good chance that at least one of the UE tip styles will improve your listening experience by a significant margin. Be sure to let us know how the new tips work out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big change from when I first arrived and had ruled out IEM's before trying them. Shame on me!

I felt much the same way. Then I purchased a pair of JVC Marshmallows for use when travelling by bus/plane on a recent vacation because I didn't want to lug around my RP-21s. My IEM/canal phone experience was so positive that, since I purchased my vastly superior X3s (superior to the Marshmallows at least), & I am now seriously considering selling my beloved RP-21s. The RP-21s are great cans, but the X3 sound quality is almost as good (to my ears), isolate better, and are much more portable. I am looking at the LiveWires as a possible future upgrade, but that will be a long while off yet.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #792 of 1,031
Quote:

Mine either. But I just started trying my Ety double flanges & they seem a little better on X3...the bass is back. My bedside table is getting to be Tip City!

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #794 of 1,031
Just got these, wow, I'm being a little unimpressed with their performance unamped (straight from 5G IPod) is a HUGE understatement, they have absolutely no low end impact, detail was hidden from a lot of tracks and a flat soundstage. My KSC75 kicked their ass from here to there and back again.

As soon as I tried them with my PINT (AD8397/LM6172) things changed drastically, the headphones gained some real detail and resolution, suddenly, they were definitely worth the $50.

Unfortunately though, I was hoping for a nice pair of canalphones that didn't need an amp so I can go running with them, unamped these are no match for KSC75's, with an amp though, they're good competition.

Anybody else noticed how much these improve with an amp?
How do these sound straight out of other DAPs?

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #795 of 1,031
Indeed, they sound better out of my Woo 6 - but they're very bright, fatiguing, and lacking bottom, driven by a Cowon X5, D2, and Samsung U1... the "best" portable match with the X3's gives my Trekstor Vibez (with plenty of EQing), since it's a warm, analogue sounding DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back