Crossroads Mylar Three, Super.fi sound?
Jun 2, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #363 of 458
It took about 3 weeks for them to reach me here in Portland, OR. I don't know what delayed them but they finally got to me yesterday. So far I really like them, and yes, good clean punchy bass on an IEM! So far after A/B testing with my UM1, I think I'm giving the X3 the edge. Some songs sound a lot more clear on my UM1s though. Oh well on to more experimenting!

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #364 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianadam888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I havent try the Mylar I always believe in "what you pay = what you get".

I really find hard to believe a $60 unknown canalphone is on par with the relatively well known UE Super.fi 5 Pro

FWIW, the EB is not the same as the Pro, and someone who prefers the EB would have different expectations from someone who prefers the UE super.fi 5 Pro...

Jun 2, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #366 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im also going to turn in a pair of Cx300's now for the X3, really big improvement ?

I think so, and I have both (my wife uses the CX300s).

Jun 2, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #367 of 458
I burned my X3's in over night, with some pink noise, then some bass-heavy music, to speed up things a bit... they're still quite on the bright side, with nice mids and treble. Very good for voice material and non-electronic music.

However, I'm quite underwhelmed by their bass performance. Not only do they have little bass, but it also doesn't extend very low. I was not expecting anything like the Super.Fi EB, but they appear to me almost as deficient as the Etymotics in the lower registers. Am I alone with that impression?

FWIW, I also got the Atrio M5 yesterday, and they blow me away, not only bass-wise, but throughout the frequency spectrum. However, they're a lot darker than the bright X3's, it's hard to compare both.

I made a spreadsheet for another forum, where I list my current personal preferences (best on top, worst on bottom) - maybe it's of some help for some people.
smily_headphones1.gif
I know, most people prefer the X3's to the Vibes, but I'm not sure if I prefer the X3's bright clarity over the relaxed, slightly muddier sound of the Vibes.

This is just my opinion, my experience, my ears - so don't take the spreadsheet too seriously - your mileage may vary a lot.

IEM-Comparison.gif

Jun 2, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #368 of 458
Hey, nice chart. Hmmm, I don't find the X3s light on the bass. And as you said, I much prefer them over the Vibes I used to own. But great chart. Thanks. And I concur on the M5s. No surprise there based on my other posts.

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #369 of 458
I ordered mine May 22 and I live in Puerto Rico so I'm pretty sure that it would take 4 weeks to get to me. It wuold havet obe delivered to US Mainland and then redistributed to Puerto Rico. I just hope it don't take any longer than that. I just keep reading everybody's posts and I get ansious!
I was just hoping to receive it as a Father's Day gift from myself.
etysmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by funnelchest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered my pair on May 15th and they got here (New York) yesterday, so a solid 2 weeks here too. It also was registered so I had to go pick it up and sign for it fyi.

Jun 4, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #370 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, the new stock of M3 have just arrived yesterday at Jaben. Included are new accessories: strap on the red case, airplane adapter, Sony tips instead of the crap ones, cable clip and cable wrap. They were flying outta the store yesterday with many simply given away during the lucky draw. Get them fast!

p.s. They don't stick out much, kinda like the ep630. They can be worn over the ears, but the stiffer cable don't make it as stable as the um1s. I've since stopped wearing them over the ears and am using the cable clip to good effect.

Are the full set of accessories available only for in-store purchase or overseas/online purchases too?

On another note, how much better is the bass of the M3s compared with UM1s? Debating between the M2s and M3s right now... I listen to a wide variety of music... While I like my bass, I find detail and soundstage equally important..

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #371 of 458
M2 and M3 serve different purposes. M2 is bassey, awesome for rock and roll on the treadmill. Not so awesome for regular listening to natural music, like classical, jazz, voice, IMHO. M3 has a very natural balance, nicely detailed, and the bass is not emphasized.

UM1 is, to my ear, slightly more refined than M2 or M3 and falls between them in terms of the bassey vs natural balance + detail. Probably slightly euphonic compared to M3 but not as bass heavy or rolled on top as the M2. I love that extra touch of refinement and also isolation of the UM1. Nonetheless, I could live with M3 as well, nice all rounder, but M2 is very specialized.

Art

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #373 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I'm quite underwhelmed by their bass performance. Not only do they have little bass, but it also doesn't extend very low. I was not expecting anything like the Super.Fi EB, but they appear to me almost as deficient as the Etymotics in the lower registers. Am I alone with that impression?

I like the chart, but the way you describe the X3 as bright and bass deficient doesn't ring true to me at all. Of course, this could all be relative and just a matter of personal preference, but I wonder if it might be a result of inferior tips for your ear. I have noticed that with the stock tips (which are the newer Sony's for me) the phones sometimes wiggle loose (especially if I'm sweating) and sound the way you describe. Occasionally, it's a pain to get a good seal again but I'm getting better at popping them back in.

Could tips/fit account for the weak bass - have you tried non-stock tips - or do you think this is all a matter of personal preference? It seems like you are an experienced IEM user but sometimes the X3 feels like it's stuffed in there but it just doesn't sound right.

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #374 of 458
How are these going to work with electronic that uses all ranges of frequency equally. This means lots of low end (im talking like 50-150Hz in unison with lots fine details and delicate highs on top.

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #375 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the chart, but the way you describe the X3 as bright and bass deficient doesn't ring true to me at all. Of course, this could all be relative and just a matter of personal preference, but I wonder if it might be a result of inferior tips for your ear. I have noticed that with the stock tips (which are the newer Sony's for me) the phones sometimes wiggle loose (especially if I'm sweating) and sound the way you describe. Occasionally, it's a pain to get a good seal again but I'm getting better at popping them back in.

Could tips/fit account for the weak bass - have you tried non-stock tips - or do you think this is all a matter of personal preference? It seems like you are an experienced IEM user but sometimes the X3 feels like it's stuffed in there but it just doesn't sound right.

which ones are YOU using right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back