Crossfeed software?
Feb 27, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #31 of 51
I use Real Player. All my files are in Real Audio Lossless (.ra) format. 
There is no crossfeed plugin for Real Player, is there?
I suppose there is no software based crossfeed solution for me...

confused_face_2.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:
I used audio hijack on my MBP. It can apply all vst plugin to all audio output of my MBP and Realplayer is no difference.

ThanX for answering, kanwingshing!

Now, that solution is MAC only, isn't it? I am forced to use Windoze here at work. Is there a Windoze version?

Cheers.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #37 of 51
You should be able to use VST filters with some Windows based audio programs (I think Foobar, supports them). Audio Hijack Pro is a pretty unique beast though. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #38 of 51
J.River Media Center has a pretty darn good one IMO. I'm not sure if it's available in the Juke Box version of the program. This isn't free (the whole program costs about $60 I think), but it has been well worth the money as there are plenty of nice "audiophile" features as well as great library tools.

The Xfeed in the program is of the type where it doesn't color the sound (except that it does lower the bass impact a little) but just makes it more natural sounding. It makes it more like listening to desktop speakers in your room rather than speakers in a racquetball court. I've tried maybe 7 or 8 different plug-ins and this is the only one I can stand for more than a couple minutes (with the exception of rockbox, but that took hours and hours of adjusting before I found a setting I liked). I'm not looking for something that changes the music, but just makes it more like stereo rather than dual mono.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all plugin though unfortunately since all of our ears are different. Study HRTF a little and you'll discover that each of our brains have to learn how to process the signal it gets from the ears. That's why even binaural recordings aren't the answer, since the dummies ears are not your ears. Binaural is better, but not perfect. In the end, the expensive specialty binaural recordings sound the same to me as my regular music through the J.River crossfeed.

Edit: Spelling

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #39 of 51
Seems like crossfeed is one of the most debatable effect in headphone listening experience. I think it boils down to how you begin your journey as an audiophile. If your journey begins with speakers, it would be easier for you to appreciate what a good crossfeed software can do for you. However if you have only enjoyed the experience of good headphone all your life, then it might be harder to understand crossfeed. So what's ur background? Cause you might be satisfied with your music experience straight from Realplayer and forget about the whole thing about crossfeed.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #40 of 51
Guys, here is the thing. I have recently watched the promotional video for the PHONITOR headphone amplifier on YouTube, in which the crossfeed feature is demonstrated. This video has got me definitively sold on crossfeed. Mind you, I can perfectly enjoy music without crossfeed, but given that I listen to music for very long periods of time at work (at very low volumes), I am persuaded that crossfeed will significantly reduce the amount of listening fatigue I experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7iHJY-lbLE

Given that all my music files are Real Audio Lossless (.ra), to use a software other than Real Player I must find one that plays Real's proprietary codec and is also compatible with a crossfeed software solution. Either that or I can go through the trouble of ripping my CDs (hundreds) all over again, which I am not motivated to do.

So, as far as I can see, in my case a hardware solution makes the most sense. A Headroom Total Bithead is what I have in mind.

Thanx for the replies! 
size]

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:
If you are interested in headroom stuff you better act quick as all their head amps will be discontinued.

Recently, I have noticed that some of their amps have in fact been discontinued, such as the desktop amp/dac. Will ALL their amps/dacs be discontinued? Even the Total Bithead, which is their best selling item?

Chinese competition must be getting rough!

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #44 of 51
Quote:
Btw, did a search and found a media player called KMPlayer. It plays real media files and seems to support VST plugins. You might wanna look into that.

I sure will! ThanX for the suggestion, kanwingshing!

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #45 of 51
[COLOR=8B4513]Recently, I have noticed that some of their amps have in fact been discontinued, such as the desktop amp/dac. Will ALL their amps/dacs be discontinued? Even the Total Bithead, which is their best selling item?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]Chinese competition must be getting rough![/COLOR]

Unfortunately yes
http://www.headphone.com/rightbetweenyourears/?p=2688

Users who are viewing this thread

Back