crossfeed amps
Sep 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bobaroo

New Head-Fier
I currently have a corda arietta. What other amps use crossfeed technology, I may be looking for a new amp

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 17
I think every Meier desktop amp has a crossfeed switch.  The only ones available on his site are the Corda Jazz (looks like a newer version of the Arietta, but with a gain switch) and the Corda Classic.  I am not aware of any others, but there are probably some older models out there with crossfeed.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 17
I just got the Grace m903 here yesterday and it's got a really nice crossfeed circuit in it (they license the one from Meier). It Boosts the Bass slightly to compensate for the Xfeed effect (some feel it decreases bass response) and it really adds some nice grunt to the low end. It's quickly becoming my favorite feature. 
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 17
That is absolutely correct. I find the bass boost  (which the ICAN also has) is equally important to the soundstage as the crossfeed or 3D as they call it on the iCAN. Even without the soundstage effect turned on, the bass boost give a more realistic sense of scale. The music just gets larger and more life sized!

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 17
If you are after a really neutral amplifier the Holographic Ear One has Ingvar Öhmans X-feed. It´s the only crossfeed I found that is usable (comparing to PC plugins I managed to get to have some effect :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
If you are after a really neutral amplifier the Holographic Ear One has Ingvar Öhmans X-feed. It´s the only crossfeed I found that is usable (comparing to PC plugins I managed to get to have some effect :)

Than you haven't tried the Meier variant. If you didn't know it was on, you probably wouldn't know it was on. Very natural sounding as well. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Than you haven't tried the Meier variant. If you didn't know it was on, you probably wouldn't know it was on. Very natural sounding as well. 

If so it can´t be very effective? The soundstage should be narrower and more focused. That is the point as some feel to wide stereo image can split their head apart?

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

If so it can´t be very effective? The soundstage should be narrower and more focused. That is the point as some feel to wide stereo image can split their head apart?

It's the opposite actually. It makes the sound stage wider and deeper and adds a bit of Bass boost. It's very subtle, but it's very niiiice.... I like it. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
It's the opposite actually. It makes the sound stage wider and deeper and adds a bit of Bass boost. It's very subtle, but it's very niiiice.... I like it. 

Okay but how does it achieve that? With crossfeed you enable the sound from the left also in the right driver more relatively to not running crossfeed. This doesn´t create any extra width but the opposite?
Does the meier crossfeed work in the other direction so to speak to create an even wider soundstage? Or does it do other tricks like altering the frequency response more or adding some reverb or something except the bass boost :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Okay but how does it achieve that? With crossfeed you enable the sound from the left also in the right driver. This doesn´t create any extra width but the opposite?
Does the meier crossfeed work in the other direction so to speak to create an even wider soundstage?

I have not tried the Meier, but the iCan does both. it has one setting that narrows the soundstage like a typical crossfeed, and then another setting that widens the sound and also creates more separation and detail in the sound.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #13 of 17
Gah I wasted so much on my own time. I didn´t realize that you really must have stereo recordings for it to work and not panorated mono or what it´s called when you only use one mic...
Is there any classical recordings that only use one mic? For that genre it should just about always be a couple of microphones?

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

You meant Headroom amps, not headamp.

also: Fosgate Signature (though I don't think anyone here has used one)

and Fiio E12 for portable use.

Blimey, yes. So many companies beginning with "head". I had no idea there was cross feed on the new Fiio amps, maybe it's time to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back