crossfeed: always on or switchable?
Oct 21, 2008 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
while this is sort of a DIY question, it has a wider issue so I posted it here to the amps section.

I'm trying to decide if I want to hardwire (always on) the crossfeed option on my amp.

my amp is either a pimeta or a PPA (I'm building both). I have one of tangent's crossfeed boards and I'm trying to decide if its really worth it to allow remote (over an IR remote) control of the 2 or 3 crossfeed options (high/low and ena/dis).

what are people doing in this? for those that built their own, did you regret NOT having an ena/dis switch on yours? if you did have a switch, do you really ever change it? ie, would you have opted just to wire it always-on and not have to worry about that extra switch or 2 on the front panel?

for me, it means extra circuitry to switch to 1 of 3 positions (radio button behavior) and then switch relays from a '1 of n' TTL output from my IR receiver. I'd also have to indicate which of the 3 states the user is in via a front LED or something.

its a lot of extra work to allow the 2 or 3 switch states to be IR remoteable.

is it even worth it?

I think (...) I like the idea of crossfeed. but I'd really like to know if I can 'get by' with leaving it always-on and taking the really simple route on this decision
wink.gif

btw, here's a shot of the current unit I'm working on:

2948977351_58fd063f2c.jpg

you can see it has a clean front panel. and not much room, either.. if I can get by with the CF stuff perm wired on, it sure makes things easier for me.

but is it a GOOD IDEA ?

tia,

/bryan

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 7
Er, that's tough to answer. Do you like crossfeed in the first place? Some do, some don't. Crossfeed grew on me, but I don't use it for vinyl.

Have you thought about building crossfeed into an external box? Then you could keep your amp the way it is (it looks great, by the way!) and use crossfeed with your next project, too.

Personally, I'd include a switch to turn crossfeed on and off, but I don't know if putting it on the remote would be worth it. I usually turn it on and forget about it during listening sessions.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 7
Nice looking amp
beyersmile.png

If you've never given crossfeed a trial then it'd be a bad idea to "fix" it on full time.

The external box is the idea to go with. I will never sell my Corda Cross-1...I use it about 80%.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 7
I have the Static Headroom and use it everyday. It's nice to have a choice.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 7
thanks for the feedback.

I think I have decided I don't need 2 levels of switch (the ena/dis as well as the hi/low). at MOST I'll use the ena/dis feature.

I also do want to build it into this box. this is only 1 of my boxes and I have a few pimeta and even PPA boards I plan to build; and yes, I did order extra crossfeed boards as well
wink.gif
they were cheap enough and even the parts are cheap enough so that I ordered a few for a few builds. each build (other than the super slim version) will get one of these boards in it. the question is whether a remote control on the ena/dis feature is worth anything.

btw, here's my portable pimeta with no crossfeed:

2925422287_71d2a79355.jpg

2927258960_977b398cc1.jpg

you can see even THAT one is tight for front panel switch space
wink.gif
and no room to mount the xfeed board anyway.

but on the blue metal box and ones bigger than that, I can mount the board inside and they are cheap enough - so to keep box-count down and clutter down (same thing) I will install these in all the amps I build.

so.... I'm still stuck on whether to have a toggle on one of the buttons (on the IR remote) to be an ena/dis switch and each time you press and release the button the remote it will toggle the state to the opposite of what it is now. no direct access (that would mean 2 buttons) - but just one button and a toggle for each 'opposing' state.

is it worth it?

I need a flipflop (gate or latch) to hold a momentary pushbutton style event and then have that Q or ~Q output drive a relay that goes into one of the 2 ena/disa states. its more stuff that I have to put on a board and wire up (etc) just to support remote control of the 'on/off' of the xfeed feature.

or, the super easy thing is to just have a local switch (on the rear panel, where there actually is lots of 'spare' room). but the question is more of:

'is there USE to having remote control of on/off on xfeed'.

from the armchair, during a 'playlist' - would you want to turn on/off this feature and would it be worth it to have this in the remote or on a 'back panel only' switch?

also, in case I didn't mention, the only remote feature I have on this is motorized pot:

2948885036_bc3d542561.jpg

(ignore the mess inside, "its not done yet" (grin))

so, I have buttons for vol-up and vol-down. that's all, so far. if I want remote control of the xfeed, I have to add more 'guts' to my box.

if enough people say 'do it on the REMOTE' then I'll bite the bullet and assign a key on my remote to this, do the flipflop thing and all that
wink.gif
I just need to hear enough people say its worth it
wink.gif
wink.gif

.bl

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 7
I'd make it switchable really. If you always have it on, it's ok but it if it's switchable, you have the option to switch it off. Nice amp
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I have the same exact cheapo keyboard!

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 7
Why not have an internal switch for the crossfeed? If you really want it off, open up the unit and flip the switch. I rarely turn the crossfeed off on my Decware Zen Head. Of course, to do so, I need to take the cover off the amp (quick and easy to do--just 2 screws and remove the battery). I really like crossfeed, but there are times that I like to listen with it off. You might enjoy having this option.

Lovely looking amp, btw.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back