Critics top 100 black music albums of all time
Jan 10, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed! That's a demographic that often goes underappreciated. Elves are always getting the glory.

biglaugh1.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #19 of 33
What a horrible list and what a horrible idea for a list.

First off, let me say that I love "black music" but to bracket musicians together that have nothing to do with eachother except for the fact that they share a skin color is prejudice in my opinion, even if it is commending their achievements.

Let me just say also......when i think "black music" i immediately think jazz and jazz appears to be a footnote on that list..........where's Out To Lunch or Saxophone Colossus or Bird with Strings or Moanin' or The Blues and The Abstract Truth or The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady, surely all more worthy albums than about 70% of that list. Also I know Hendrix was black but should he really be on that list? I don't see Hendrix as an artist of "black music".....surely Are You Experienced and Electric Lady Land are more important records than Off The Wall or Midnight Maurauders to the general public, but maybe not to black music.

Very weak list in my opinion.........but if I were going with that list's intent..... What's Going On should be followed by THere's A Riot Going On.......those albums are the call and response, and the most important socially conscious black albums of all time.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #20 of 33
Have you ever listened to Curtis by Curtis Mayfield? 'Don't worry, if there's a hell below we're all gonna go' is the opening track. (Sorry if the title is slightly incorrect.) It was 1970 and he addressed the black social issues in a way artists have seldom done. You should give it a listen.

James Brown with 'Say it loud, I'm black and proud' is another name. The list we're commenting on shows lack of cultural and historical insight. Props on Sly & The Family Stone, just don't forget Curtis Mayfield.

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #21 of 33
glad Illmatic made the top 5, a defining album for the genre.
Baduizm is a great album by Erykah Badu, kinda prefer Mamma's Gun but Baduizm is an extremely good album.
And the the inclusion of the 2 Tupac albums, me against the world and All Eyez On Me, both classics but R U Still Down was arguably Tupac's best. Though AEON is my favourite Tupac album.

And life after death at 60 when reasonable doubt is 33?! to me thats a joke. Life after Death was the finest album of perhaps the greatest rap MC that ever lived.
The Chronic, again a classic, but 2001 was a huge comeback album with soooo many hits on it, far more than the Chronic

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, let me say that I love "black music" but to bracket musicians together that have nothing to do with eachother except for the fact that they share a skin color is prejudice in my opinion, even if it is commending their achievements.

Also I know Hendrix was black but should he really be on that list? I don't see Hendrix as an artist of "black music".....surely Are You Experienced and Electric Lady Land are more important records than Off The Wall or Midnight Maurauders to the general public, but maybe not to black music.

Wow. I don't much care for the list, either, but I cannot tell a lie: The logic that runs from categorizing-music-as-"black"-is-prejudice to Jimi Hendrix—who played the blues, btw—is not black music is something I don't even want to unravel.

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I don't much care for the list, either, but I cannot tell a lie: The logic that runs from categorizing-music-as-"black"-is-prejudice to Jimi Hendrix—who played the blues, btw—is not black music is something I don't even want to unravel.

What I meant was, by the time you include Hendrix, you may as well include Arthur Lee. But both these artists would never be considered seminal to what that list was considering to be "black music".......Hendrix's audience was predominantly white, which his why his albums are so misplaced on that list.

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I meant was, by the time you include Hendrix, you may as well include Arthur Lee. But both these artists would never be considered seminal to what that list was considering to be "black music".......Hendrix's audience was predominantly white, which his why his albums are so misplaced on that list.

…and yet Jimi is included…still not quite sure why that seems so offensive. I mean, his biggest influences were many of the same black blues people who influenced several generations of white rockers, no?

Let's come at it another way: In the '60s, Jimi gigged with the Isley Brothers, who fired him in a pretty public way for playing too wild. But…if you listen to several Isley Brothers tracks recorded in the '70s after Jimi died ("That Lady," say, or "Better Love"), the guitar-charged nature of the funk has Jimi's fingerprints all over it. Black music? Not sure why Jimi's inclusion seems so weird.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
…and yet Jimi is included…still not quite sure why that seems so offensive. I mean, his biggest influences were many of the same black blues people who influenced several generations of white rockers, no?

Let's come at it another way: In the '60s, Jimi gigged with the Isley Brothers, who fired him in a pretty public way for playing too wild. But…if you listen to several Isley Brothers tracks recorded in the '70s after Jimi died ("That Lady," say, or "Better Love"), the guitar-charged nature of the funk has Jimi's fingerprints all over it. Black music? Not sure why Jimi's inclusion seems so weird.
tongue_smile.gif

I guess it just seems weird to me putting Electric Ladyland at #40 and something as arbritrary as Illmatic at #5......................Yes hiphop as a genre is more meaningful to the term "black music" but once you include Hendrix he should have been granted a little respect and at least had one album in the top ten, otherwise he should not have been included in the list......and I still think Arthur Lee should have been included just as much as Hendrix on the basis that he was black as well...........Forever Changes could very well be described as just as "black" an album as Are You Experienced.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #29 of 33
30 secs scrolling through the list yielded:
16. D'Angelo : "Brown Sugar"
17. Ice Cube : "Death Certificate"
18. Dr Dre : "The Chronic"

and
74. Billie Holiday : "Lady Day: The Best of Billie Holiday"
75. Prince : "Sign Of The Times"

Mr Trevor Nelson is probably enjoying the practical joke he pulled off...

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
30 secs scrolling through the list yielded:
16. D'Angelo : "Brown Sugar"
17. Ice Cube : "Death Certificate"
18. Dr Dre : "The Chronic"

and
74. Billie Holiday : "Lady Day: The Best of Billie Holiday"
75. Prince : "Sign Of The Times"

Mr Trevor Nelson is probably enjoying the practical joke he pulled off...

Is this not *HIS* opinion of HIS top 100?

if so, there's not much going on about it, his opinion isn't wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back