Critics top 100 black music albums of all time
Jan 9, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 33
One could argue that list but I guess that's part of the appeal. Most seem like pretty solid selections nothing too surprising.

I thought that #63. Omar : "For Pleasure" and the Young Disciples were interesting I wasn't sure anyone remembered them. There could have been a bit more Jazz and Disco included for my personal taste.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 33
Is there a "Critics top 100 white music albums of all time"?

Just curious.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by duotone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprising to see "off the wall" above "thriller"

Not really. IMHO this is a good choice.
All in all a very safe list.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a "Critics top 100 white music albums of all time"?

Just curious.

Well, when folks make "rock" lists around here, much of the time it seems to mean "white music." That said, when I read the title of the thread, I was wondering if their was a better name for it. Given the variety on this list, however, I'm kinda stumped. Maybe someone else wants to take a stab at it?
popcorn.gif

The funniest thing is that the list doesn't include pop from anywhere in Africa. Even in 2003, that would've seemed odd to me.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 33
Rock 'n Roll was originally black music. Any Rock 'n Roll list without the likes of Chuck Berry and Little Richard is worthless.

I don't like the list. Curtis by Curtis Mayfield should be in there. James Brown & The JBs should be higher up anyway, 'In The Jungle Groove.' No Chuck Berry? Where is Grandmaster Flash with The Furious Five? The Meters? K-os?

As I expected that list is seriously incomplete and way too popular. Marvin Gaye with What's Going On? makes a good number one though. That album is very special.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 33
I'd like to see the top 100 hobbit albums of all time.

Personally, the raw lyrics and pounding beats of "Are You Tooking The Piss" should be in the top ten.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see the top 100 hobbit albums of all time.

Agreed! That's a demographic that often goes underappreciated. Elves are always getting the glory.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 33
Couple thoughts:
List isn't the worst I've seen, but a bit of a travesty that there is pretty much no blues listed (or close to it).
I thought James Brown Live at the Apollo would be ranked higher.
I'd take Otis Blue over most everything there.
Was pleased to see Funkadelic get some credit.
Including a greatest hits album is pretty lame. Al has records good enough to make the list.
Too much R&B for my tastes (looking at Jodeci/Mary J Blige).
I thought Kind of Blue would be in the top 5 undoubtedly.
What's Going On is awesome. Pretty close to a perfect album for me.
WHERE IS RAY CHARLES?

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 33
dumb idea of doing a top 100 black music list.....i don't really know how to start......plus how do you really compare "summer bunnies" to "so what" to "let's wait awhile"?

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 33
Where is the Wu-Tang and it's members? Tical, Liquid Swords? Some of the best is missing here...

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #15 of 33
No Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughan, Duke Ellington, etc. but Bobby Brown is on the list. Either these "critics" must think we are idiots or they are. I'm tempted to say the people who were polled are too young to know any better but they did include the likes of Miles Davis, Nina Simone, John Coltrane, and Billie Holiday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back