crinacle's IEM FR measurement database
Sep 29, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #481 of 1,335
Crinacle,
I'm curious what you think of Warbler Prelude. Have you heard it?

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #483 of 1,335
Oct 5, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #484 of 1,335
While I wait for new vsonic to be released, I might try the vivo xe800. Did you find they sound similar to the gr07 classic?
With what tips did you measure them, the stock ones? If so, I may try some foam tips to increase the bass and tame the highs.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #485 of 1,335
@crinacle , have you ever done any subjective confirmation to your graphs outside of just using your ears and music? What I mean is, have you ventured into the world of a controllable sine sweeper while the iem is seated in your ears to see if the spikes in treble match up to the graphs? Or would you say this would be too subjective because everyone's ear canals resonate slightly differently (depth of insertion, air volume between drum and transducer, etc)?

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #486 of 1,335
Been busy the past few days, I can finally sit down and enjoy some new toys. Special thanks to @DanWiggins for allowing me the chance to sample Periodic's lineup.

Kinera H3
Periodic Audio Mg
Periodic Audio Ti
Periodic Audio Be

Remeasure:
VSonic GR07X

It's been a while since I wrote a full fledged review, so expect something of a mini shootout in the coming week(s). For now, early impressions will go to my IEM ranking thread.

@crinacle , have you ever done any subjective confirmation to your graphs outside of just using your ears and music? What I mean is, have you ventured into the world of a controllable sine sweeper while the iem is seated in your ears to see if the spikes in treble match up to the graphs? Or would you say this would be too subjective because everyone's ear canals resonate slightly differently (depth of insertion, air volume between drum and transducer, etc)?

I usually don't play with tone generators because I rather use music to listen. On the topic of subjective confirmation, apart from the whole BA vs DD bass debacle and insert depth shenanigans, I would say my graphs line up pretty well. I wouldn't equate to the spikes in treble to being completely pin-point accurate, but rather recognising it as an overall boost instead.

(Example: I would interpret an 8k spike on FR not as "a 8k spike" but rather as "a spike in the upper treble". More ambiguous but not completely dismissing the data.)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #488 of 1,335
Screenshot_20171014-140552.png Screenshot_20171014-140653.png Screenshot_20171014-141107.png For personal check by hearing and to confirm. Two app can helps

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #489 of 1,335
My kse1500 has a high peak @6900hz (6400 -7200hz) @+9dB.
In the chart, I didn't see there existing

Your ears (and everyone else's ears for that matter) are different. You could be hitting a certain resonant point within your ear canal which recreates a peak, so I won't discount your subjective hearing.

Speakerphone's 60318-4 standard measurements also do not show a 7k peak. I highly suspect it's due to your own personal physiology.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #490 of 1,335
My kse1500 has a high peak @6900hz (6400 -7200hz) @+9dB.
In the chart, I didn't see there existing

As @crinacle says, most likely due to ear canal resonance. The region around 7kHz is prone to that on my ears, too.

Try out different insertion depths (shallower / deeper). If the peak's frequency changes, it's almost certainly caused by your canal.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #491 of 1,335
Thanks both of you man.
It may be true. I have a question : does headphone manufacturers target to a response base on below chart (iso human hearing spl ) for their products?
And from the chart, most people have a peak at 3-4khz ?(with a true flat speaker)
SmartSelectImage_2017-10-14-19-23-04.png

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #492 of 1,335
Thanks both of you man.
It may be true. I have a question : does headphone manufacturers target to a response base on below chart (iso human hearing spl ) for their products?
And from the chart, most people have a peak at 3-4khz ?(with a true flat speaker)

Ur question is a bit general,
But there are diff practices

Some tune to a target curve for example Harman, some tune by listening, but both prob do a mixture

Harman aims to emulate a flat speaker in a room, compensating for the body and ear influences that and over ear or in ear may not have
Most mixing is done on speakers and with speakers in mind, but the mixer makes sure that their mix translates well to diff types and quality and tuning of sound reproduction
To learn more u can google inner fidelity+harman

The sensitivity chart u mentioned is built into the recording ie mixing and the target curves themselves

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #493 of 1,335
Thanks both of you man.
What I described above is just chasing neutrality, which doesnt necessarily equate to pleasing to everyone

Even harman is just one of the approaches, no consensus yet, but still the most popular if u look at all the high end full sized charts

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #495 of 1,335
How does the kse1500 compare to hd800s?
I have the 800s
I have 800s also. 800s and its mate (amp) is blur sound in comparision. I use ak120ii to feed kse and hdvd800 feeds to 800s they sounds the same imagine except the electrostatic has higher deltail.
Using tube amp, 800s not catch up but reduce the gap. Bass of kse is what I dont like over se535 (kse less impact, has longer decay, but kse goes deeper, especially pairing with a&k sp1000).
To my ear, kse bass is not so real, the same for 800s is not real bass compare to 800-non s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back