Creepy headphone experience!!!
Mar 11, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #16 of 30
Gaming with the K1000's is a fun experience.

biggrin.gif

-Ed

Mar 11, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by commando
Does anyone have a good recording of a rainstorm? I have one that's thunder and lightening, but I like nice, relaxing rain by itself.

This may be more than your asking for but it is very relaxing and all you hear is the sound of rain. I have both sets and believe they work. The Insight cd will sometimes put you to sleep and will also cause you to have amazing dreams.

I just got the Focus one and I'm still seeing how it works. I so far seems to have the opposite effect and intensifies things (which is the point of it). This is meant for reading, working, or at the gym, while insight is only for relaxing and meditation.

http://www.awakenedminds.com

Mar 11, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 30
It seems like my brain is a little too smart sometimes and gets into this mode of "OK, I'm wearing headphones. I know I put them on, I can feel them on my ears, therefor all music must be coming from just a few inches away from my head." This has two creepy affects. The first one is kind of like the thread starter... The first time I hear a door knock in a track that I've never listened to before (MJ's 'Thriller' and Eminem's 'Role Model' come to mind), I often spin around in the direction it comes from to see who's there. Other common sound affect can be the same way, if they are well done.

But it can work the other way too. Around 5am the garbage truck comes and flips the dumpster, which I can hear pretty clearly if the window is open, and sometimes it sounds like it is just a sound affect "imaging" a few inches in front of me and slightly to the right from my headphones! Or maybe someone actually does knock on the door, or the phone rings, and it sounds like it is coming from the A900s instead of actually happening.

This is when I realize the soundstage is more realistic than my mind is usually willing to allow it to be.

Mar 11, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #20 of 30
While listening with phones I often think I hear someone trying to unlock the door or the phone ringing, and I jump...

Mar 11, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #21 of 30
while watching a movie, a phone rang in the movie and i picked up the phone and started shouting "HELLO? HELLO?".

i might add that i was really really really drunk (a few pitchers of beer and way too many shots of Jäger). later that night i smashed a friend in the face with a Dynamics book to get his attention.
what a night....

in one of the Pixies songs, theres a sound exactly like my phone ringing, and i always take my headphones off and look around suspiciously.

Mar 11, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 30
I was listening to Miles Davis - Kind of Blue night before last. I was listening to the music with my eyes closed, enjoying every note and completely involved.

My wife came over and shook me and told me that I had been asleep for 5 minutes, and had been snoring quite loudly.

This was bizarre, as I knew to the note where I had hit pause on the CD player when she "woke" me up.

It was a Zen moment I guess
rs1smile.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX
in one of the Pixies songs, theres a sound exactly like my phone ringing, and i always take my headphones off and look around suspiciously.

This reminds me...

Knocking sounds in songs are EVIL.

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #24 of 30
Well, this was a while ago, probably a year. I was doing some tweaking to my church's sound system, and while this was happening someone walked in as they dropped off someone for some instrument lessons (since the music instructor apparently does stuff like that).

Anyway, I was at the mixing board as usuall, and I was listening to some music, with my UR15s at the time (yich...). For whatever reason, I hit the pan knob and started going back and forth, and I was like "Wow, what a reverb that is". Next thing I know the person who walked in was leaving....then I realized what I was doing was panning between my headphones and the speakers...oops.

That's my most wierd moment for now anyway.

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by commando
Does anyone have a good recording of a rainstorm? I have one that's thunder and lightening, but I like nice, relaxing rain by itself.

The Power and the Majesty from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs has a great recording of a rainstorm.

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #26 of 30
Hey you know.... i was listening to some Pink Floyd too... specifically the Roger Waters live album... and yeah, i think some parts of it were recorded binaurally. there are definite parts where the sounds were not located in the normal headphone left-right spatial arrangement.

so, that's probably why you were creeped out. but don't worry, it's a normal feeling with binaural recordings.

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #27 of 30
I know the feeling zeplin. I put on a Celtic Worship CD one night around 3am and on the second track there's this sound like someone hitting something wooden with a hard object. The first time startled me into taking the cans off and turning around. The second time I listened was a repeat, but at that point I figured the sound happened in the same place during the same track, and was part of the music. Sacry.

Mar 12, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #28 of 30
I don't go to sleep with phones too often, but whenever I do I use my Minidisc. If I'm too lazy to set it to play only the 1st group (or if I forget
smily_headphones1.gif
), I find myself half waking-up like 3 times, dancing in my bed, moving around and all, and then I finally remember what the hell's going on and take the headphones off, turn around to go back to sleep.

I like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by UberNewb
I was listening to Miles Davis - Kind of Blue night before last. I was listening to the music with my eyes closed, enjoying every note and completely involved.

My wife came over and shook me and told me that I had been asleep for 5 minutes, and had been snoring quite loudly.

This was bizarre, as I knew to the note where I had hit pause on the CD player when she "woke" me up.

It was a Zen moment I guess
rs1smile.gif

Snoring does not necessarily mean you were "asleep" though you are at an early stage of it. In that state, I usually can still hear music, but in a very meditative way. It happens a lot to me since I listen lying down and if something distracts me I can still wake up, that is how I notice what "state" I'm in. But if I am tired it usually means I will fall asleep.
Listening to music is, for me, equivelant to meditating where it helps me relax, meaning it allows me to unfocus on reality for a bit.

Mar 15, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #30 of 30
there's a travis song that ends with the sounds of a bedroom alarm clock ringing. electronic sound type, not bell.

you wouldnt believe how many times i've awoken from half-slumber wearing etys and groped around for that non-existant alarm clock to stop it ringing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back