Creepy headphone experience!!!
Mar 11, 2004 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

zeplin

1000+ Head-Fier
i'm not sure if this is in the correct forum but...
i was wondering if anyone has experienced a moment when you forgot you were wearing your headphones and truely thought that the sounds were coming from another room?

the other night i feel asleep with my HD650's on listening to a Pink Floyd album. there is a song where someone is banging on a door and it sounds earily life-like. i remember dreaming about someone or something (
very_evil_smiley.gif
) bashing my door, trying to get it open or to break through it. i then awoke to the banging on the door sounds and then proceeded to freak out. i sat up and started yelling. after my wussying out, i then hid myself under the covers and then relaized i had my headphones on and was listening to a Pink Floyd song playing.
damn though, it certainly got my heart beating about three times as fast. i couldn't go to sleep for about 2 hours. it's nice to know that if someone really came into my house at night wanting to steal stuff that i would freak out and yell like a little baby
rolleyes.gif

there is also another song on one of my acid jazz cd's that plays a very good recording of someone saying "hey" really loud. when i first heard this i screamed outloud answering to what i thought was my father trying to get my attention. boy did my family look at me like i was some sort of psycho after that!

anyways, please do share your embarrassing experiences.

Mar 11, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 30
there is a part in a frank sinatra song called "the way you look tonight" off of the very best of cd

anyway whenever i listen to this song and the part comes up i take off my headphones and look at my cell phone, it sounds just like if the phone was ringing. i only have done this about a million times...lol

it is just natural for me to react at the sound, even if i know its there i still do.

there is also a part in a eros song that sounds like my house alarm....boy i used to get scared so much i wrote on the cd itself the word "alarm" so when i listen to it i can relax and not **** in my pants....lol

there are a few cds that do this to me. i guess its a little doss of real life that creeps up when your in your headphone bliss..lol

oh i also like to dream of winning the lotto whenever i listen to my headphones.....i guess its the urge to upgrade

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 30
Try listening to Fight Club with headphones. The sound in that movie is fantastic. There is a scene in that where I had that feeling that there is someone looking over your shoulder, it was Tyler Durden.
g

Mar 11, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 30
I can't fall asleep with my K1000s or any large headphones. But I occassionally hear my phone or door bell.

Mar 11, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 30
I was listening to a classical CD that was recorded live, and at one point someone coughed, scared the bejesus out of me.

Scott

Mar 11, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 30
It's interesting the surge in "bed" headphone listening has grown lately. I guess it can program your dreams.

I only get upset when a song has a police siren in it while I drive. When I hear a phone ringing I look down at my phone and see if it is flashing red. I once watched a movie and at the exact same time as a phone rang in the movie my phone did actually ring. weird.

I'm still interested in you guys programming your dreams. Somehow I cannot see someone falling asleep to Heavy Metal. Will falling asleep to sexy jazz cause sexual dreams? I would think so.

Mar 11, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 30
While listening I constantly have to take my headphones off to make sure it wasn't anything around me. It can get freaky, though.

Mar 11, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 30
I actually made my own freaky recording back in 1980 or so. I used a set of senns as a microphone mounted on a head shaped object and walked around doing things and making noises. Everyone that listened got totally freaked and could pinpoint where every sound came from.

My first trip into binaural efore I even knew what binaural was
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by commando
Does anyone have a good recording of a rainstorm? I have one that's thunder and lightening, but I like nice, relaxing rain by itself.

here

Mar 11, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
i'm not sure if this is in the correct forum but...
i was wondering if anyone has experienced a moment when you forgot you were wearing your headphones and truely thought that the sounds were coming from another room?

I've had this experience myself, and especially while in a half-sleep state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back