Credit Card Fraud...
Mar 2, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 23
Don't forget that identity thieves often have things shipped to a middleman who then ships the item out to the thief, often not knowing that they are part of an identity theft ring.

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #17 of 23
This happened to me. I used ot order a lot from Tiger Direct, using Paypal. One time, I wanted something and had no PP balance, so I used my card (rather than transferring $ to Paypal, or using my CC withPaypal).

Within 2 days, I got a call from my bank (Bank One Visa at the time, now bought by Chase). Someone had ordered 2 high-grade CPU's from Tiger (I found the details out from Tiger; total cost ~$800), and was attempting to change my billing address.

Of course, they backed the charges out. I called Tiger Direct, and they said the package was shipped UPS. I told them my story, and I think they were trying to intercept the package.

Now, the OP was lucky to get the address; I was told by my CC company that they aren't supposed to give it out, neither is the merchant. But the idiot at Tiger Direct DID give it to me. It was somewhere in CA. I called the CA police, they weren't willing to do much with it, saying call your local police. Did that, THEY said it should have been the CA police!

Bottom line, I changed the CC #, and am never ordering from Tiger Direct again w/o Paypal. I truly believe they are the ones who let it out; it was too much a coincidence to me. I sent multiple emails to their service dept. for help and then to complain, no answers.

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 23
Bummer so far. I called the Suffolk County PD and they told me I have to report it to my local PD. I'll call Monday, but I don't really expect much in the way of results.

Mar 2, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 23
One of my co-workers had a renter that was getting credit cards in her name from the preapproved applications sent to rental. The woman knew how much she could change with each bank without them pressing charges. The local police wouldn't do anything without the banks participation. Both the renter and my co-worker lived in the same police jurisdiction and it didn't matter. My co-worker couldn't press charges because she wasn't really out any money. Ironically, it took 3 months to get the woman evicted because she knew how to work the legal system so well.

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my co-workers had a renter that was getting credit cards in her name from the preapproved applications sent to rental. The woman knew how much she could change with each bank without them pressing charges. The local police wouldn't do anything without the banks participation. Both the renter and my co-worker lived in the same police jurisdiction and it didn't matter. My co-worker couldn't press charges because she wasn't really out any money. Ironically, it took 3 months to get the woman evicted because she knew how to work the legal system so well.

That is supremeley messed up. Abusing the system like that by knowing the way the security measures are setup. There will probably need to be changes made, to accomdate those who get by using such methods.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This happened to me. I used ot order a lot from Tiger Direct, using Paypal. One time, I wanted something and had no PP balance, so I used my card (rather than transferring $ to Paypal, or using my CC withPaypal).

Within 2 days, I got a call from my bank (Bank One Visa at the time, now bought by Chase). Someone had ordered 2 high-grade CPU's from Tiger (I found the details out from Tiger; total cost ~$800), and was attempting to change my billing address.

Of course, they backed the charges out. I called Tiger Direct, and they said the package was shipped UPS. I told them my story, and I think they were trying to intercept the package.

Now, the OP was lucky to get the address; I was told by my CC company that they aren't supposed to give it out, neither is the merchant. But the idiot at Tiger Direct DID give it to me. It was somewhere in CA. I called the CA police, they weren't willing to do much with it, saying call your local police. Did that, THEY said it should have been the CA police!

Bottom line, I changed the CC #, and am never ordering from Tiger Direct again w/o Paypal. I truly believe they are the ones who let it out; it was too much a coincidence to me. I sent multiple emails to their service dept. for help and then to complain, no answers.

He was doing you a favor. You should be thankful.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My moms ex roommate was involved in CC fraud.. She was working for this 'guy'. She'd help get the persons cards, & they would use them together.. Stupid B^&^. Glad she was caught..But served only community service..
rolleyes.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My moms ex roommate was involved in CC fraud.. She was working for this 'guy'. She'd help get the persons cards, & they would use them together.. Stupid B^&^. Glad she was caught..But served only community service..
rolleyes.gif

Yet another problem with US criminal justice. Steal couple hundred grand in CC fraud and get community service. Have 1/2 pound of marijuana, worth less than a couple grand. Get charged with distribution, federal minmum says buh bye to your but for at least 5 years. Thank god the USSC struck down the minimum guidelines and judges can now use common fricking sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back